Youre go to setup this season

T7

Crikey Gooseman have you developed anorexia or something? Rumour has it that you normally take more rods than this when you go to the bathroom. Rod and line manufacturers all over the world have just heard the death knell for their combined businesses. You will put more people on the dole than C19 and Margaret Thatcher combined. Please up your game and get out that big f off 40ft trailer that you drag around behind you when you go fishing.
I’ll have you know I’m very restrained these days. Well, apart from that one that arrived on Friday ?

tote

Feel like the poor relation after reading the previous posts, lol.

The following will have to do for me, most I've had for years.

Ron Thompson Axellerator, 10ft 9", #6/7.
Flextec CRX88, 10ft 6", #7/8.
Sportfish IM6, 10ft, #7.

Reels.
Intrepid Gearfly.
J W Youngs 1530.
Rimfly.
Okuma Airframe.

2 x Maxcatch Gold lines, WF #7 and #8, both floaters.
Airflo midge tip, wf #7.
Airflo 40 plus, wf#8f.

Plus poly leaders.

Flies will vary from Dries, Emergers, and Spiders through to small doubles, Snakes and Waddingtons.

T7

Sportfish IM6, 10ft, #7.

Reels.
Intrepid Gearfly.
J W Youngs 1530.
Rimfly.
Okuma Airframe.

Airflo midge tip, wf #7.
Airflo 40 plus, wf#8f.

Plus poly leaders.

Flies will vary from Dries, Emergers, and Spiders through to small doubles, Snakes and Waddingtons.
The flextecs are great rods for the money! I have a load in various sizes. Shame they stopped making them…

haptonlad

Attachments

Alwyn

10ft #7 weight Hardy Demon
10ft #7 weight Enigma EMG Mk 1
Hardy Marquis #7 reels and a 3 5/8 Hardy Perfect for the sound effects!
Cortland 444 WF8 floater and Clear inty tip
Cortland Blue WF8 inty
”Sewinmaster” sink tips types 3 and 6 (i.e. homemade in homage to the Sewincaster lines) ?

lewiswearfisher

Sportfish IM6, 10ft, #7.

Reels.
Intrepid Gearfly.
J W Youngs 1530.
Rimfly.
Okuma Airframe.

Airflo midge tip, wf #7.
Airflo 40 plus, wf#8f.

Plus poly leaders.

Loved my rimfly reel, really don't know whatever happened to it ?

T7

10ft #7 weight Hardy Demon
10ft #7 weight Enigma EMG Mk 1
Hardy Marquis #7 reels and a 3 5/8 Hardy Perfect for the sound effects!
Cortland 444 WF8 floater and Clear inty tip
Cortland Blue WF8 inty
”Sewinmaster” sink tips types 3 and 6 (i.e. homemade in homage to the Sewincaster lines) ?
How did you make them Alwyn?

Alwyn

How did you make them Alwyn?
I bought some Maxcatch Gold floating lines and some even cheaper sinking lines from them as my materials. So you start by cutting off your desired length of sinking line for your tip from the tip end of your sinking line - say 15ft. Then you weigh it. Then cut off 15 ft of the tip end of your floater and weigh that. It will be lighter than the sinking section. Throw the floating tip section away. You then cut more little pieces of the floating line off and weigh them until the total weight of the floating line pieces you’ve cut off weigh the same as your sinking tip section. Now it’s time to join your sinking tip to your floating line. For this you need an adjustable heat gun with a nozzle to concentrate the heat and some clear shrink tubing. I first create a welded loop in the butt end of my sinking tip section using this method
I then put my floating line section through the eye of the welded loop and double it back so that I’m creating another welded loop - the same construction as a chain link. This time I’m using a long piece of shrink tube to cover both the floating welded loop and the sinking welded loop. When applying the heat gun I am gently pulling the floating and sinking sections in opposite directions so as to get a neater weld. It takes some practice to get it right and to avoid burning and breaking the lines.I find it easier to start the gun on a lower heat. Here’s the join that you’re looking for:

0C0505D6-99C3-471A-BB3F-FBAD299B1BF0.jpeg
I have to say that it casts really well. There are other methods and some people join the cores of the two sections using needles and aquasure, which is probably neater and maybe easier to cast but the method I use is quicker and easier and I have found it good to use on the water.

T7

For sea trout to bass and mullet , a 9 foot Shakespeare odyssey # 6 weight , 6 foot sink tip , inter or floater for sewin, mullet floater , bass intermediate, I do go to a 8 weight for bass sometimes but find it less fun
I’ve got a 10ft 6/7 that (surprisingly) casts a 6wt and a 7 wt equally well. I’ve used this in the sea as I can fish a 7wt ‘blind’ for bass and then if mullet appear and a more delicate approach is needed, quickly swap to a 6wt line. Saves carrying more than 1 rod or leaving tackle on the shore ?

Last edited:

sewinfly

2 x 10ft Enigma MK111 8wt
10FT Hardy Gem 7wt
10ft Sharpes Aquarex 7wt
9ft Sharpes Aquarex 6wt "mullet"

If I get down to Woodmill this year going to use my 11ft grahams of inverness with 2 tube's and barrio switch line.

2 x Hardy Viscount Disc LA 7wt
Several new V2 reels finally to be used.
Sewincaster range of lines,clear tip, Di 3,Di 6 sinktip s
Cortland Blue Ice
Di3

Should be enough?just need the fish.

Alwyn

2 x 10ft Enigma MK111 8wt
10FT Hardy Gem 7wt
10ft Sharpes Aquarex 7wt
9ft Sharpes Aquarex 6wt "mullet"

If I get down to Woodmill this year going to use my 11ft grahams of inverness with 2 tube's and barrio switch line.

2 x Hardy Viscount Disc LA 7wt
Several new V2 reels finally to be used.
Sewincaster range of lines,clear tip, Di 3,Di 6 sinktip s
Cortland Blue Ice
Di3

Should be enough?just need the fish.
you forgot to include the Welsh Cakes……?