Worming for sea trout using coloured line?

Clwydfishing

Well I'm just after some tips on getting better at worming on my local river I did manage to catch a few brown trout last year. One problem I'm having is seeing my braided line it's tricky to tell if my swivel and shot and worm have got cought further up the river and its just pulling line off the reel. Has any one tried using a bright length of line that's highly visable to track the bait is moving as it should do.

T7

Yes and it works well. I used to use the blue Stren stuff that is ‘invisible’ underwater as the main line. They do it in yellow as well

Clwydfishing

Ahhh! Great! Really struggling to see what's going on visually . Do you use it as a main line or attach length to your braid?

T7

I used it as mainline. Braid wasn’t really used back when I wormed a lot. It was really good as a mainline so probably easiest just to do that?

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

I think our very own and highly illustrious @elwyman fishes the Clwyd and knows quite a bit about the river. Might be worth asking him to turn Queen's and fessing up some of his kinky secrets :oops:

elwyman

I think our very own and highly illustrious @elwyman fishes the Clwyd and knows quite a bit about the river. Might be worth asking him to turn Queen's and fessing up some of his kinky secrets :oops:
Afraid none of my kinky secrets involves worms.......I haven't worm fished for a very long time, probably because I never had a decent supply of worms!

Obviously worming for salmon is now banned, but I've seen guys using coloured nylon or braid with the bouncing betty etc method in high water. I use yellow power pro braid for high water spinning...something I originally started to use when plugging for bass, to increase casting distance.

If you are talking low water worming, I think a clear nylon would be preferable.......but as I say, I'm no worming expert.

The Clwyd is high and coloured at the moment, so Mepps or other preferred lures are probably the preferred method at present.....not that I've heard of anything being caught recently.

T7

The blue stren really does disappear underwater remarkably well. I would definitely recommend it. I’m not a huge fan of braid to be honest

elwyman

The blue stren really does disappear underwater remarkably well. I would definitely recommend it. I’m not a huge fan of braid to be honest
I love braid for plugs and spoons, nightmare if you start getting twist in it with spinners. I imagine the non stretch nature of braid is a good thing for detecting takes when worming.

Clwydfishing

Brilliant! Thanks chaps, I managed to bank five Sea trout last season on the fly. I wanted to test my skills with some worming action.. Will get down to foxons and spend some more money! Will keep you all posted if a snaffle a sea trout on the humble worm. It would be a tick in the box! ?

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

Afraid none of my kinky secrets involves worms.......I haven't worm fished for a very long time, probably because I never had a decent supply of worms!

Obviously worming for salmon is now banned, but I've seen guys using coloured nylon or braid with the bouncing betty etc method in high water. I use yellow power pro braid for high water spinning...something I originally started to use when plugging for bass, to increase casting distance.

If you are talking low water worming, I think a clear nylon would be preferable.......but as I say, I'm no worming expert.

The Clwyd is high and coloured at the moment, so Mepps or other preferred lures are probably the preferred method at present.....not that I've heard of anything being caught recently.

OK never mind the worms. Just tell us all some of your kinky secrets :devilish:

The last time I personally fished with a worm was on the Lune at Aughton fifteen years ago. I hooked and landed a hen fish of 22lbs which proceeded to spit out the worm and the hook at my wading boots as I was handling it. The member who had invited me to fish as his guest insisted that I kill the fish as the club policy was to treat wom caught fish as killed because they 'rarely' survived. I refused to kill the fish and returned it and away it swam. I never fished with a worm again and of course never will.

Cumbrian Blue

Do anglers shove Tampax up their jeers to combat the farts and horrific stenches when wearing belly waders ?
asking for a friend :unsure:

SteveG

Do anglers shove Tampax up their jeers to combat the farts and horrific stenches when wearing belly waders ?
asking for a friend :unsure:
I once knew a lad who had obviously tried the same with a dead rat ? but didn’t help the smell, some nights you could smell him from the pool above where he was fishing. ?