Woodmill 2019

sewinfly

The tide now on the flood is able to flow up the MW where as before the barrier of the weir would of hindered this.
Now when on the ebb the out going tide is dragging the loose deposits onto the new banking hence making it larger than the original banking.

I should imagine and at low water if the MW is in flood then there will be a lot more debris being deposited on the banking.
Also a lot more erosion taking place above the bridge as well.

With H&S I just cannot see how they can let you go in there with an excavator and lorry to remove it.It would only take a few hours at the most.

I will be sending an email regarding the pool and how its not cost effective now to pay the £230 to fish it.

Spencer...............

haptonlad

The tide now on the flood is able to flow up the MW where as before the barrier of the weir would of hindered this.
Now when on the ebb the out going tide is dragging the loose deposits onto the new banking hence making it larger than the original banking.

I should imagine and at low water if the MW is in flood then there will be a lot more debris being deposited on the banking.
Also a lot more erosion taking place above the bridge as well.

With H&S I just cannot see how they can let you go in there with an excavator and lorry to remove it.It would only take a few hours at the most.

I will be sending an email regarding the pool and how its not cost effective now to pay the £230 to fish it.

Spencer...............
Is £230 a day or a season Spencer ?

sewinfly

Is £230 a day or a season Spencer ?
Hi

It's £230 a night and can fish 3 rods so split that between you about £76.
Might seem a lot but treat yourself 2 or 3 trips a year with a few mates and it's a good time.

With the situation at Woodmill and the new shingle bank growing all the time this is causing the flows and currents to be
altered in the pool.
We are now struggling for 3 of us to fish the pool at low water, ok at high tide.

There's going to be a few us who will be asking the management at Woodmill to carry out maintenance work.

Don't let that put you off from going there, it is a good experience to fish it.Not everyone s cup of tea but I've fished it
for several years now and enjoy it.Not always an easy place to fish I've blanked there on occasions.

You book the pool and it will only be your party fishing it and with a hut for a break during the night makes it even better.

Spencer. .......

We fished it on Thursday with only 5 fish landed between us.
The biggest was 4lb.I lost a few bigger ones.
It was a true struggle as the fish didn't seem to be in the usual places.
Dean told us that they are going to remove the gravel bar that was deposited from the collapsed weir,
This year has got to be one of the hardest experienced in my twenty five years of fishing it, and:confused::confused::confused: has always been a challenge but not like it has been so far this year.
If we all keep moaning about the lack of maintenance maybe they will start listening.
Les

haptonlad

Hi

It's £230 a night and can fish 3 rods so split that between you about £76.
Might seem a lot but treat yourself 2 or 3 trips a year with a few mates and it's a good time.

With the situation at Woodmill and the new shingle bank growing all the time this is causing the flows and currents to be
altered in the pool.
We are now struggling for 3 of us to fish the pool at low water, ok at high tide.

There's going to be a few us who will be asking the management at Woodmill to carry out maintenance work.

Don't let that put you off from going there, it is a good experience to fish it.Not everyone s cup of tea but I've fished it
for several years now and enjoy it.Not always an easy place to fish I've blanked there on occasions.

You book the pool and it will only be your party fishing it and with a hut for a break during the night makes it even better.

Spencer. .......
Thanks for the info Spencer;)
Something to add to the bucket list of place I'd like to fish...

sewinfly

We fished it on Thursday with only 5 fish landed between us.
The biggest was 4lb.I lost a few bigger ones.
It was a true struggle as the fish didn't seem to be in the usual places.
Dean told us that they are going to remove the gravel bar that was deposited from the collapsed weir,
This year has got to be one of the hardest experienced in my twenty five years of fishing it, and:confused::confused::confused: has always been a challenge but not like it has been so far this year.
If we all keep moaning about the lack of maintenance maybe they will start listening.
Les
Hi Les

With Woodmill the say "empty vessels " springs to mind.

A few of us have emailed them recently about the lack of maintenance and the shingle bank was mentioned at the end of May when I fished there .
When the weir broke last October they had several months to remove it of which they done nothing.

Spencer. .............

Begin forwarded message:please see below about Woodmil

On Saturday, August 24, 2019, 9:48 am, List co-ordinator <woodmillfishing@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Friends of Woodmill

Various people have asked, off list, about the Google Groups e-mail list we have created and how it will be used. There are now 30 Woodmill fishers signed up from a list of 80 invites issued two weeks ago. This is likely to be the largest number of contacts that has gathered together with an interest in improving, maintaining and sustaining the Woodmill fishery - so we are probably the only lobby group around currently.

Bearing in mind the general concern of many fishers on our list to try to encourage or collaborate with Active Nation in improving the fishery, I visited the Woodmill office yesterday with a cold call to find out who best to meet with to open discussion. Julie Godwin was not there but one of her colleagues immediately pointed me to David Drew, the Assistant Business Manager of Active Nation, who works in premises away from Woodmill (being also responsible for all the other Active Nation sites which range across gymns, swimming pools, and a dry ski slope in the Southampton area). I did explain that there was a group of fishers coming together to seek to collaborate with Active Nation in improving the Pool.

I then visited the Pool - the tide was in, the sun was shining, and there was one lone fisher trotting a prawn from the ramp into the Monk's Brook section.

As I left the entrance to the Pool, a tall guy (who I had seen before) and a young woman came along the drive and asked if I was day fishing - I told them 'no... just looking in'. They were both Environment Agency inspectors (branded tee shirts etc.) and the tall guy recognised me from a previous friendly encounter last season when he and another checked licences at night at around 3.00 am.

I told them that a group of fishers were now getting together because there was concern about deterioration of the Pool as a fishery. They appeared to agree that too little was being done to maintain the fabric etc. and that the Pool was probably seen as a 'cash cow'. The EA's main concern was regulation of catch-and-release - they wanted, for instance, improvements to the bases of the ladders to allow fish to be landed and released quickly. They asked me if I had removed any scales to put in envelopes for their survey. I said that no-one I had fished with had done this, largely because it was perceived as another activity which would keep the fish from getting back in the water quickly.

They said the 'big problem' was that 'just anyone could book the Pool' for fishing - which I found strange but perhaps the EA would be keen to see a formal fishing club or association established. I made the point that there were rules in Woodmill and that, in my experience, these were followed (including the recent move to single de-barbed hooks) - whereas there was no control or rules governing activities immediately downstream or upstream of the Pool. Woodmill has clearly become a bette noir for the EA - so a first task clearly is to re-establish confidence through better management.

When we discussed reduction in water flows and the lack of water in Monk's Brook, they said that the flows in the Itchen had been holding up rather better than other systems such as the Test. They also said that the Lower Itchen fishery and Gaiters Mill were 'stuffed' with Salmon currently.

Before approaching David Drew for a discussion, it would be good to have some headline agenda items. Here are some I offer up for consideration:
  • concern about the general state of the Pool - in particular the recently accumulated sedimentation reducing depths and the need to remove large items below water - tyres etc
  • concern about degradation of the main 'lip' of the Pool under the bridge and AN's plans to replace it (or not)
  • concern about weed cutting - or the complete lack of it
  • concern about maintenance - in particular the casting platforms and the safety of the end of the ramp for stepping on and off at low tide
  • concern about cleaning and maintenance of the fishing hut
Would Active Nation welcome the notion of an independent fishing club or association being set up formally as a focus for discussion and collaboration?

This long-winded e-mail is offered simply as a trigger to encourage input from anyone who cares to add thoughts or views.

One final request. It has been suggested that we might have better 'clout' if we had greater knowledge of the amount of money we jointly invest in fishing Woodmill each season. Personally, I have only fished as a guest rod this season - and I did not make any direct bookings in 2019. But in the past I would have been responsible for at least four of five nights of fishing each season. So what sort of money are you currently investing in bookings, and has this figure gone up or down in the last five years? Do you plan to book more or fewer dates next year?

Please input your thoughts and comments....

Please also post your fish reports and photos - if only to encourage those of us who have blanked recently!

Meanwhile, here is a shot of Woodmill Pool taken at low tide (before the season started) and showing the already accumulating gravel bank/island which is now a great deal larger....

Murray Weston
Friends of Woodmill Fly Fishing
e-mail list co-ordinator

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Friends of Woodmill Fly Fishing" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to friends-of-woodmill-fly-fishing+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/friends-of-woodmill-fly-fishing/9fcf6500-6199-40fa-89cb-276ebeece471%40googlegroups.

Londonflyfisher

Hi all,

Is the above email group still active? If so then I’d like to be involved...
Having fished there three times this month since moving to Winchester, I envisage a good few trips there for the 2021 season and would like to support where I can.
Regards,

Damon