Winter Tying thread

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

No pun intended!

Let’s see what everyone is tying now the season is over. Keep us all going through the long winter!!!

Crikey Simon, have you got early onset cabin fever? I will post some stuff over the next few weeks, months oh no next season feels like it's a million years away :(

Do we post winter tyings here or on the flys page ?

Might be better if you post them in both threads. I think the flies page is probably where everybody will head to as first port of call if looking for a particular pattern or inspiration for a concept. Alternatively you could post a link in this thread to a pattern you have uploaded to the flies section;)

T7

Do we post winter tyings here or on the flys page ?
Good question. Could use this thread about general winter tying discussions and then as TBLJS says reference/link to other threads. Up to you really!

T7

When I get some time I’m going to tie up a load of cone head singles. I have a few and they move really well in the water. Something a bit different to normal sea trout singles but will be mainly black and silvers

weatherman

When I get some time I’m going to tie up a load of cone head singles. I have a few and they move really well in the water. Something a bit different to normal sea trout singles but will be mainly black and silvers
My three favourite colours... :sneaky:

• Haha
Reactions: T7

T7

Well I’ve got a new technique to encourage me to tie more flies this winter. I’ve started part-tying flies in batches and then saving them for another day. For example I did about a dozen ribbed silver bodies yesterday waiting for a few different hackles and ribs today. Not tied in this way before but actually quite good for a change

elwyman

Well I’ve got a new technique to encourage me to tie more flies this winter. I’ve started part-tying flies in batches and then saving them for another day. For example I did about a dozen ribbed silver bodies yesterday waiting for a few different hackles and ribs today. Not tied in this way before but actually quite good for a change
I did exactly that, for the first time, for the fly swap we did over summer. It was quite an efficient way of doing the bodies, adding a coat of protective varnish to the Mylar, then doing the hackle and wing on another day.

Reactions: T7

T7

I did exactly that, for the first time, for the fly swap we did over summer. It was quite an efficient way of doing the bodies, adding a coat of protective varnish to the Mylar, then doing the hackle and wing on another day.
Yep, I wouldn’t recommend it if you’re feeling creative and just want to try something new but if you have a load to get through or lacking inspiration it seems to work!

Come on then chaps, we’re locked down again and it’s freezing outside. What other nocturnal activities are there apart from fly tying? 😬 😉

That is a little bit ironic. I have had to close the factory until next Friday as I have 2 members of staff who have tested Covid positive. I have been forced to self isolate and am not supposed to even leave my garden. The advice they offered regarding my dog was a bloody scandal. Once I established that I have no family living with me they suggested that they have a bank of volunteers who dog walk for those self isolating. When insuggrsted thstcitcwoukf he better ifni walked my own dog at 5.00am in a morning and 9.00pm at night they said I would be breaking the law and subject to a fine of £200.00 per offence. The thing is though if I am positive also and am always touching my dog and she is always touching me then she will either have Covid too or at the very minimum full of virus. A well meaning volunteer then turns up and takes my dog for a walknd contracts Covid and possibly dies.When I raised this point they were sspeechless.it may be that the vice comes out tomorrow and if it does I will photograph some of my highly dubious offerings ;)

Sorry to hear that Geoff, hope you and the dog stay well. This virus seems to be out of control at the moment, stay safe.

Thanks John I really appreciate it. I honestly don't believe I have it. My reasoning for this is my own diabetic management is and has been forever so strict that my blood sugars are over 90% of the time exactly where I want them. If I am starting with any kind of cough, cold or infection the first thing that suffers is my diabetic management and my control seems to weaken and my glucose numbers become more erratic. Currently my numbers are as good as they always are. Hardly a particularly scientific suggestion but certainly one drawn from 36 years of type 1 diabetes management. Good God I sincerely hope I don't have it. I am at enhanced risk of death no matter how bloody good I think I control my condition 😳