When do you retrieve?

Andy62

I'll let the fly swim down, if nothing is happening I try working it slowly on the retrieve depending on the pace of the water.

Lgraydonflyfishing

I generally fish the same cast 3 times first swing second figure 8 thirdly little strips, then take 2 steps downstream and repeat

phl

This is an interesting question, as I'm never sure what the best answer is. I tend to vary my retrieve from cast to cast (something like Lgraydonflyfishing, but less consistently). Sometimes I start retrieving immediately, sometimes halfway down the drift of the fly, and sometimes I let the flies swing right round and only start retrieving when they are almost straight downstream of me. All methods seem to work sometimes, but in almost all cases the likeliest time for a take is right at the start of the retrieve. I suspect that if we could see the fish we are targeting, we would aim to get the fly to swing into its vision and then give it a jerk to prompt the take.

Paul

haptonlad

I usually start F8 as soon as the flies touch water to keep in contact with flies.
Most of my takes are usually in the first 5 or 6ft of the swing, occasionally I get a take in the last part of swing.
Likewise what others have already said, depends on the height & speed of the current to what casting angle i fish.

tom_o_m

Straight away, I like to be in contact with the fly.

I mix up the speed and sometimes let it dead drift through the main flow if I'm in good contact.

In low slow flows I retrieve quicker as a general rule, and hardly at all in fast flow.

I'm not hugely successful so God knows if I'm doing it wrong or not, but I catch some so I can't be too far wrong.

Tom

Last edited: