What do you really get up to?

weatherman

Winter, as sea trout anglers, we normally settle down, assess the fly boxes, cull the non-performers & replenish the successful patterns, maybe tie a variant of an idea that someone else had tied. Anyway, apart from that, what outdoor activities do you normally participate in? (Sensitive subject I know, the Covid-19 restrictions have decimated our usual activities.).

SteveG

Winter, as sea trout anglers, we normally settle down, assess the fly boxes, cull the non-performers & replenish the successful patterns, maybe tie a variant of an idea that someone else had tied. Anyway, apart from that, what outdoor activities do you normally participate in? (Sensitive subject I know, the Covid-19 restrictions have decimated our usual activities.).
I continue to fish ? October onwards I turn to winter sea fishing and fish the open competitions in a normal year, I also play golf so winter league again in a normal year, this year has just been fishing for Cod and Bass and getting my gear ready for this season on the river. I’ve changed most of my rods, sold a lot of surplus gear and given up carp fishing and match course fishing to concentrate on the migratory species and Bass.
Target this year is to get a salmon on the fly and a double figure Bass on lure ????

weatherman

I continue to fish ? October onwards I turn to winter sea fishing and fish the open competitions in a normal year, I also play golf so winter league again in a normal year, this year has just been fishing for Cod and Bass and getting my gear ready for this season on the river. I’ve changed most of my rods, sold a lot of surplus gear and given up carp fishing and match course fishing to concentrate on the migratory species and Bass.
Target this year is to get a salmon on the fly and a double figure Bass on lure ????

I used to, chasing the lady of the stream & very many rainbow stewponds & lakes, nowadays, I've become a fair-weather angler that much prefers the milder climes. Gone are the days when the cold wasn't a problem.

SteveG

I used to, chasing the lady of the stream & very many rainbow stewponds & lakes, nowadays, I've become a fair-weather angler that much prefers the milder climes. Gone are the days when the cold wasn't a problem.
Oh I hear what you are saying but I cannot sit in the house, I have to be out and about even if it’s only short sessions, I’ve had some great sessions this year for the Grayling, don’t bother with the fly much until back end of this month ?

Last edited:

Alwyn

I do a little bit of grayling fishing during the Autumn and then a bit of shooting now and then, mainly an hour on the clay pigeon range on a Sunday morning, but otherwise not much. I spend some time reminding my wife that yes, I do go fishing a lot, but that it’s seasonal and if you spread the fishing time across a whole year, it really isn’t that bad. In fact, I’m probably not going enough etc!

T7

I do a little bit of grayling fishing during the Autumn and then a bit of shooting now and then, mainly an hour on the clay pigeon range on a Sunday morning, but otherwise not much. I spend some time reminding my wife that yes, I do go fishing a lot, but that it’s seasonal and if you spread the fishing time across a whole year, it really isn’t that bad. In fact, I’m probably not going enough etc!
That’s also my argument! Doesn’t work sadly...

luney

Reverse psychology I'll have to try that one???

luney

Myself, I have a short crossover from the salmon season to pheasant shooting. I shoot on a syndicate in North Yorkshire. It involves a lot of walking and I really enjoy the days out plus a pint and a natter how the day went. I have a spaniel so walking in Winter is one of my favourite times of year. Having plenty of wood in the garage for the stove, and a good collection of drams for the evenings.

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

I still teach a bit in the closed season but it usually quietens off. Fish for grayling before the year end but never really bother when it's really cold as fishing for them when they are shoaled up in the deep holes is not really my bag. Shoot clay pigeon, play piano drink single malt whisky. Lots of single malt whisky. Loads of single malt whisky. Did I mention whisky by any chance?

Andy62

I carry on fishing, I only stay on the rivers but grayling are there when conditions are reasonable (rarely the last two years) and I still enjoy coarse fishing on the rivers. Pike fishing with the fly is entertaining but once past October a clear river is rarely seen.

elwyman

I intended doing some grayling fishing on the Welsh Dee this winter but lockdown put an end to that. Instead I filled up my fly box with bugs and spiders, for next season.

My other interest is a mountain bike, an electric one. Must admit I've hardly used it this winter, but I've had some great fun on it over the last 3 years, mainly on road and forest trails around Brenig etc, but also a few ventures in the Clwydian hills.....nothing too complicated though.