Welsh Dee 2021

weatherman

Let's hope a tradition may well continue, firstly & foremost, these fish can live up to a positive expectation & reach the spawning grounds.

Andy62

I'm hoping that we can get on the Dee next week, that fish had moved up well

Andy62

Cheers, I've found the information now. My son was driving up to Scotland this morning to work, he said it looked like the Lake District had been invaded by Camper vans and Caravans.

Last edited:

Andy62

I was on the Erbistock length, Friday night. No sign of a salmon, plenty of trout and grayling. Tried my new rod and it felt very comfortable and I soon forgot it was new. I caught 3 grayling and dropped another four takes. I did see a big trout in the fast water but I couldn't tempt him. Aquasure has extended the life of my breathable waders, I bought Scierra X16000 two years ago and was quite pleased that they lasted two seasons but this year the right leg started to leak. I ironed on a couple of lengths of tape, this lasted a few hours. A good coating of aquasure cured that then on Friday the left leg started the same. Another session of solvent abuse and I stayed dry yesterday. I really liked it at Erbistock, great place to fish. I went up to Drybeck on the Lune yesterday, I wanted to see the pools at low water and it's very low but it was well worth the trip as I learned a lot about the pool, drop offs and sand / shingle runs. As I walked back there was a woman stood under the Private fishing sign, no Public access. She was throwing balls in the river for her two Labrador's and her friend was in a wet suit with her two kids in wet suits, all in the river. I did drive to Lower Bentham but the river is really low, Hornby would have been full of people walking the river bank. You can understand why I like night fishing :LOL:

Reactions: T7

T7

I was on the Erbistock length, Friday night. No sign of a salmon, plenty of trout and grayling. Tried my new rod and it felt very comfortable and I soon forgot it was new. I caught 3 grayling and dropped another four takes. I did see a big trout in the fast water but I couldn't tempt him. Aquasure has extended the life of my breathable waders, I bought Scierra X16000 two years ago and was quite pleased that they lasted two seasons but this year the right leg started to leak. I ironed on a couple of lengths of tape, this lasted a few hours. A good coating of aquasure cured that then on Friday the left leg started the same. Another session of solvent abuse and I stayed dry yesterday. I really liked it at Erbistock, great place to fish. I went up to Drybeck on the Lune yesterday, I wanted to see the pools at low water and it's very low but it was well worth the trip as I learned a lot about the pool, drop offs and sand / shingle runs. As I walked back there was a woman stood under the Private fishing sign, no Public access. She was throwing balls in the river for her two Labrador's and her friend was in a wet suit with her two kids in wet suits, all in the river. I did drive to Lower Bentham but the river is really low, Hornby would have been full of people walking the river bank. You can understand why I like night fishing :LOL:
How’s access at Erbistock at the moment Andy? I heard the pub was still shut?

Andy62

How’s access at Erbistock at the moment Andy? I heard the pub was still shut?
The pub looked shut, I parked at the top end. I thought the pub might have been open and busy so I went for the quiet option. There is room for four cars up there and its a dead end - no issues and easy access to the river with a very pleasant walk through the trees.

stoatstail

Who has the fishing at Drybeck now?

Andy62

Erbistock again after work, I'm going to see if that big trout is still there. What ever happened to April showers? Going by the last two years the weather pattern feels like it's shifted a month.

Andy62

Back on the Dee last night, overcast and stayed warmer at 12C when I left at 9p.m. The river was alive with fish, I was trout fishing but could not get past the grayling! I caught 4 and a salmon parr from the first run and there must have been twice as many pulls at the fly that I missed. Quite pleased as all but one fish came to a size 12's black spider I had tied. I use barbless and didn't have to touch any of the fish as I could just turn the hook out of them. As I approached the end of the shallow run I saw a good salmon show at the end of the pool, I waded back up to get out of the river and walked down to the tail of the pool where the fish had showed and sat down to watch. After a while the salmon showed again about 25 yards away, the river drops into a hole where it turns right against a rocky bank and it was in the glide along the rocky bank. I was using a 6wt rod, I had some 10lb line and the biggest fly I had with me was a Butcher on an 8's, that would have to do. I spent the next 40 minutes fishing the run but the fish wasn't interested in what I had to offer and I thought I'll have three more casts, the light was fading. Nothing happened and as I was winding the line back the salmon bow waved over the lip and into the pool behind me, no more than 15 feet away. Not sea trout related but it was good to see a fish.