Welsh Dee 2009

jamjar

when does season end?

when does season end?

i am thinking of having a day on the Llandderfel water in the next couple of weeks - does anyone know when the dee season ends? The river has dropped to near summer mean - is it still worth a crack, or should i hold on until we get more rain?

sewinbasher

i am thinking of having a day on the Llandderfel water in the next couple of weeks - does anyone know when the dee season ends? The river has dropped to near summer mean - is it still worth a crack, or should i hold on until we get more rain?
You've got until 17th October but more rain is needed to get the fresher fish up to Llandderfel. One of our members had a 16lber near Corwen on Friday.

jamjar

You've got until 17th October but more rain is needed to get the fresher fish up to Llandderfel. One of our members had a 16lber near Corwen on Friday.
thanks very much sewinbasher, i figured id best wait until we get some water, so will keep an eye on north wales weather

blackmedicine

Your busy on the forums at the moment jamjar!
We had some water yesterday which brought the conwy up but not enough to get a rise on the Dee. I'm going to have a go at Llandderfel on Thursday, mainly for grayling but will try a few spots for Salmon later in the day. One was lost on the fly a couple of days ago at first light.....there is always a chance jamjar. Let me know when you are coming up I am working on getting a bit of free time at the weekend....

FORUM MEMBERS / HELP NEEDED
????? after some advice, would like to buy a 14ft double hander for salmon fishing on the middle to upper dee ( welsh ) and lower conwy. fly fishing for salmon is new to me so after some advice on a good rod that won't break the bank...also some advice on reels.....lines etc.

jamjar

We had some water yesterday which brought the conwy up but not enough to get a rise on the Dee. I'm going to have a go at Llandderfel on Thursday, mainly for grayling but will try a few spots for Salmon later in the day. One was lost on the fly a couple of days ago at first light.....there is always a chance jamjar. Let me know when you are coming up I am working on getting a bit of free time at the weekend....

for god's sake boy, lets speak on the phone!
ring you later
xxx

S

silverinvicta

FORUM MEMBERS / HELP NEEDED
????? after some advice, would like to buy a 14ft double hander for salmon fishing on the middle to upper dee ( welsh ) and lower conwy. fly fishing for salmon is new to me so after some advice on a good rod that won't break the bank...also some advice on reels.....lines etc.

The Shakespeare Oracle is a cracking rod for the money...John Norris is doing em for for £82.99 for the 4 piece 14' .. I have no doubt you could pick one up cheaper by shopping around. The original 3 piece version is cheaper again..
Quite a few members on this forum use these rods....I have a 12' ft'er for small rivers....

Si......

S

stump

I`d agree with Bap on the ´Oracle´ blackmedicine,,its great value for the money and will cast any line floater-fast sink,,,a great rod(ive got the 14ft and 2 of the 12fts one of which has been re-ringed and re-butted for light worming and my shrimping work)...

stump...

outside

I have the 15 ft Oracle. I was down't wier this spring when an idiot (who travels to fish there) came up to me to tell me it was pointless fly fishing there. Then had to give me some casting advice I didn't want. Then gave me a lecture on how good his sage rod was....Then he insisted on trying mine, he commented that it was a really nice rod, without noticing the label. Of course it would beg the question, why spend £700 more on the sage. I like longer rods, it seems easier to lift a sinker out etc.

The only negative is the poor quality cork. I would like to change that this winter if i get time. I may just ignore it and go fishing instead!

B

bungle

Well done llwynog...:)

I'm having a day down the bottom end this Tuesday.Have you been seeing many fish in the last week or so ?

Ian

In a club letter i received is says that the average estimated run of Sea Trout on the Dee is 1,500 adult fish and 7,500 Whitling.
Does this sound right to you Dee anglers, it sounds a lot for a river that most consider the Sea Trout not worth targeting.

Paul

jamjar

In a club letter i received is says that the average estimated run of Sea Trout on the Dee is 1,500 adult fish and 7,500 Whitling.
Does this sound right to you Dee anglers, it sounds a lot for a river that most consider the Sea Trout not worth targeting.

Paul
i would think that 1500 mature fish for a river the length of the dee is not a particularly large run. that probably works out at around 15 fish per mile or similar. correct me if im wrong!

llwynog

bungle
There were a few fish showing for an hour then nothing for the rest of the day.
Looked like a small run going up.
Good luck tuesday.

i would think that 1500 mature fish for a river the length of the dee is not a particularly large run. that probably works out at around 15 fish per mile or similar. correct me if im wrong!
With the Whitling the total is 9000, which i would of thought was a pretty good run for any river, or is my thinking wrong.

Paul

Andy R

I'm not wishing to rain on anyone's parade, but unless the EA have counted every seatrout within the Welsh Dee, I'd take the figure of 9,000 with a massive pinch of salt.

EA figures are generally poor anyway, and the fish trap at Chester Weir catches seatrout in the 20's and 30's a tide when the run's really on. However it's not a counter, just a trap.

This number is at the peak of the seatrout run in July usual (although there are some earlier ones), but often it's 2's or 3's a time. There is escapment in periods of high water and on high tides, but if the figures come from the EA, how they can extrapolate 9,000 seatrout is a mystery to me.

As for evidence- I've fished for grayling in winter, a distinct lack of seatrout kelts, whether in the upper, middle or lower river- whereas on the Nith in November we always pick up one or two well mended specimens (no allowed to fish the Dovey in November so can't compare.

Given the amount of spinning on high water that's done on the Dee if they were there in numbers you'd get them as a bye catch (I have five seatrout while spinning for salmon on the Dovey in one day last month) my total accidental catch of seatrout on the Dee in six years of angling- nil. A friend of mine who's family own rods on a beat below the Ceiriog Junction- in the last ten years- spinning and worming and fishing for grayling- nil, either clean or kelt.

It's undoubted that they are there, and the odd one does get caught from specific pools and lies, but not in a number to make you switch from any of the other North Wales rivers- I'd rather fish the Clwyd and Elwy if I was in that neck of the woods.

Andy R.

elwyman

Although I don't fish the Dee that much, my experience of the sea trout is the same as Andy's. In 8 seasons, I've neither caught nor seen a single sea trout on the Dee.

Sea trout catches from the Dee rarely feature in my club's (Wirral game) catch reports. I occasionally hear that some lucky angler has hit lucky and come across a shoal one night, but they don't seem to hang about in the same pool for long. Regular catches are reported from some pools (eg Alwen junction beat), but they are the exception rather than the rule.

We all know that sea trout like deep & slow holding pools - there's far too much of that type of water on the Dee, the sea trout shoals just seem to disappear!

clwydspecial

Can anyone give a good reason or reasons why the Dee is not known for it's seatrout. Historically was there ever a run of seatout or has it always been a salmon fishery. Its it because of it's length, because the water flow is controlled, do people actualy go out fishing for seatrout, is there any night fishing.