Wear

Wearboy

Well done Russ , a brilliant day, i will resist any further fish shade references , it may however taste good ish

SALAR

Well done Russ,,,a good days sport there,,,nice to see you getting among them and you seem to working your water out nicely aswell....

stump..

russ1610

Anyone got any reports on how its going. I went out the day after I had my three, on the 14th, spent 5 hours on the fly in what i thought was really good conditions and had two small pulls for my troubles neither resulted in fish. I also saw 5 other people none of whom had had a fish or pull, when i saw them. I'm going out tomorrow and the next few days as the barometer is rising, will be a bit on the cold side me thinks but if the fly is not in the water, shouldn't think ill get one out of the bath.
And thanks Stump im doing better this year than i did last so its showing improvement, funny enough most on the spinner so far 9 spinner, 5 fly. Last year it was 9 fly, 2 spinner. hoping for a few more before the end of the season.

Last edited:

russ1610

Started to hammer down here in Bishop and looks like the river is starting to rise on the EA gauge at Wear Head, That's my mind made up i'm off out tomorrow for definite fly if i can if not chucking a spinner at them.

smoggy

I was out over the weekend above Bishop Auckland, but having seen the forecast we planned an early start knowing the sun was going to be a big influencing factor. On Saturday I managed 1 salmon about 14lbs which was coloured and my mat managed 3 salmon and a small sea trout. On Sunday I managed 2 salmon, one of which would have tipped the scales at a around 2.5lbs, but being so small had ran quickly and was a bar of silver and a a small sea trout that was also clean.
I know that there was quite a few salmon, and some 20lb+ landed on Thursday and Friday !
I see the river is up again today, so may fish well late this afternoon, but will definitely tomorrow.
Tight lines.

russ1610

well i was out from 8am until just about 2pm, the river was as smoggy has said high about 18" and falling at Witton Park. Fished the spinner, Toby, Flying C, rapala, not a touch. Also just sat and watched the wear at witton park for a whole hour saw only 1 fish go up and that was only about 3lb. I was a little disappointed at how few were going up, the day i got the three fish i saw over 30 in less than an hour???. try again tomorrow with the fly the colour should be running out by then and hopefully dropped a few more inches.

Last edited:

russ1610

Hi Smoggy,
Your right i have been out at the back of the Nature Reserve, fished 9am until 3pm with the fly, nothing not a pull saw a very nice 13lb Salmon caught by the rod i was following down the pool but that was it. 4 people fishing one pull resulting in the fish. i make that about 20hours fishing between us for that fish, hope you do better. Looks spot on but 3/4 hour watching the ford at the back of the nature reserve and not one fish went up.
Its not very good when im resorting to photographing other peoples fish HA ha.

the Salmon caught this morning 32.5" long weighed in net 15lb less 2lb 4oz making it 12lb 12oz, put up a very good fight for the Angler went back OK..

salmon.jpg

Last edited:

Dalnashaugh

Fished from 1pm to 6pm today above witton. Water seemed spot on. 2 guys who had been there since 8am had had 2 each before I arrived but nothing after ( story of my life! ). The other 3 hadn't had anything. I had one fish on for a few seconds and a pull which didnt develope and that was about it. Saw a fair few fish but mostly quite small and looked as if they were running hard.

Geoff

PS. Not the day to discover that your waders had sprung a leak! Bloody freezing.

russ1610

Well i was going to go for the day today but after two blank sessions 12 hours + without as much as a tap, I decided to leave it until 4.30pm, and just have the last of the day. Fished down my favourite pool and felt a slight pull on the line like all those leaves before lifted into what turned out to be my PB. a Salmon of 34.5 inches which is somewhere between 15 and 16lb on the measure scale things and mostly towards or over 16. Suffice to say im saying it was over 15lb and im happy as a pig in muck. fish took an orange thing name unknown and was on my 11'3" bloke 8# switch rod. Glad it was on the fly.;););)
201011 15lb+.jpg

SALAR

A big well done russ!!!!well deserved,,,looks a nice deep fish and a lovely shaped hen...

stump

Last edited:

DavidH

A good fish well done!
I'm off work tomorrow so I'll be out with the fly from about 8:00 - 12:00. Yet to have a Salmon on fly this year but orange seems to be the colour so I'll have a dig through my fly box. I mostly have traditional flies such as Thunder & Lightnings, Willie Gunns, Blue Charms, etc and tied on waddingtons. I'll have to get some of the Flamethrower types that seem popular on our river these days.

David

russ1610

Smoggy, It went back anyway mate, i already have some in the freezer so no point in taking it, especially as it was female.
Now the fly, It had black at front red at back body with gold rib, small yellow tail, under wing of Golden Pheasant tippet and over wing of orange hair longer than the tail.?? Hope that helps. Sorry to say I lost your specials last week up a tree.
I have the whole thing on video from my head cam. photo is a snapshot from that.
Stump thanks for the comment you know its down to you for getting me into Salmon fishing down on the Severn, if I hadn't bumped into you I doubt I would have kept at it, You got me hooked and I thank you.

SALAR

Maybe some footage then russ....which head cam are you using mate,,,

stump...

russ1610

I spent some of my retirement money on a V.I.O.pov HD unit as here use it on the Motorbike as well.

I am at this moment uploading video to You tube once done i shall put a link

Last edited:

russ1610

PB Salmon again the lastPB lasted a whole 24hours

PB Salmon again the lastPB lasted a whole 24hours

Went out today with the fly rod and had 4 takes two of which stuck, a nice 3.5lb Sea trout which was very coloured,returned safely and MY new personal best a hen fish of 35" which according to the weight length chart is about 18LB so that's what I'm calling it. once again i have it on video and will post tomorrow but in the mean time i have a photo. The fish went back OK and will hopefully breed with the fish below so passing on the BIG genes
2011-Oct-21-16h46m50s.jpg

My mate helped net the fish and some 20 mins later, i returned the complement and netted a 32" cock Salmon for him Again returned safely
Daves fish.jpg

What a day both of us getting our PBs within 20 Mins. of each other

Last edited: