Usk 2021

sewinfly

For me today was my last day of the season. Hoping to finish on a high.
I finished a night shift and went straight to the river after work.

Still dark at 6.30 so got the gear out of the car and waders on and walked up the beat.
Started fishing at first light and with river perfect conditions I fished the fly.

Several hours later and not a touch.My friend turned up so we wandered further down the beat.

Fishing a good pool the Snaelda /Francis went on and after several casts the line drawn tight a lift into the fish and with the rod bucking over several times all went slack,so ends the 2021 season for me on the Usk.

With 13 salmon and the biggest at just under 16 pounds and about 6-8 lost.

The most memorable was hooking into a submarine of a fish that did not jump but just kept swimming up river slowly and not being able to stop it.

So there ends 2021 and with more NRW restrictions looming we are on a hiding to nothing.

Sewinfly. ........

Alwyn

That’s a very good tally for the season Spencer, especially given this year’s tough conditions. What new NRW restrictions are coming in?

sewinfly

That’s a very good tally for the season Spencer, especially given this year’s tough conditions. What new NRW restrictions are coming in?
Hi Alwyn

The NRW only gave the anglers on the Usk to fish bait for 2 weeks, in my case prawn.
I submitted several letters from anglers that totalled probably a couple of hundred years experience between all of us stating that prawn was the most effective and the best form of c&r that was backed by the NRW PETER Gough agreeing with us but now there is a lobby to ban bait altogether .

Without fishing bait they will never know the true amount of fish in the Usk.
The Usk is the only river that has 2 weeks yet all other rivers 4 weeks or more and they cannot give me a reason why.

The Wye has had a bait ban for 20 years or close to that and year on the Wye figures just drop continually.

Could go on mate but I feel we are going to get steambrollered.

Speak soon

Spencer

RichardGW

Hi Alwyn

The NRW only gave the anglers on the Usk to fish bait for 2 weeks, in my case prawn.
I submitted several letters from anglers that totalled probably a couple of hundred years experience between all of us stating that prawn was the most effective and the best form of c&r that was backed by the NRW PETER Gough agreeing with us but now there is a lobby to ban bait altogether .

Without fishing bait they will never know the true amount of fish in the Usk.
The Usk is the only river that has 2 weeks yet all other rivers 4 weeks or more and they cannot give me a reason why.

The Wye has had a bait ban for 20 years or close to that and year on the Wye figures just drop continually.

Could go on mate but I feel we are going to get steambrollered.

Speak soon

Spencer
I totally agree with you.

Other than angling catches the authorities have little if anything else to go on to determine the level of stocks in the rivers. As every angler knows we have good and bad years often depending on the state of the rivers during the angling season – flood, drought, etc. The result is that it only takes one or two years of poor conditions and hence catches before the authorities say catches are down so we need to make further restrictions to reduce exploitation (for exploitation read catches). Then when exploitation (catches) decreases further because of these additional restrictions, they say we told you numbers were down. Ever decreasing circles.

On the other side of the coin your catch of a dozen or so of fish on prawn/shrimp in the two week window allowed for that method on the river shows that when conditions are poor for fly or spinner, there can be many more fish in the deep pools than we ever realise. Indeed your total lack of success on fly for the previous 6 months on the same beat shows this up.

And of all methods prawn/shrimp is probably the least likely to result in deep hooking allowing for easy C&R.