Usk 2019

sewinfly

Hopefully a much better year and will have a few trips for the sewin this year on the Usk;)

Sewinfly.....................

sewinfly

Hi SF, is the river controlled by associations or mostly private?
Hi T7

A lot of the water is private & association water and then there's the town council water by Llanfoist bridge I believe.

Starting from the bottom of the river there maybe some water which I'm not sure about :

Isca Angling Club,probably have vacancies

Crown-private

Lower Llangibby -private

Upper Llangibby -private

Usk Town

Above these I'm not sure,Llanover,Crickhowell angling,Gwent Anglers. Like I said with these not sure of water in between or above.
Crickhowell will have vacancies.

Sewinfly. ...........

sewinfly

Tied a few of these RM's for the Usk.

20190219_142926.jpg

Didn't come out to well with the camera ?

Sewinfly...........

sewinfly

At last !!!!

On the river early this morning and the tide was pushing the river up a few inches.
Clarity was excellent and the water was cool.

Set up was a 10ft 8wt with a clear sinktip and a home tied shrimp fly.
Fishing a really deep pool and 2nd cast a nice silver 5 pounder.
IMG_20190801_070720_BURST001_COVER.jpg
Bit later was touch ledgering with a purple whisker and bang a sealiced 5 pounder.Great fight and both returned strong.
IMG_20190801_104032.jpg

Sewinfly. ..........

sewinfly

Had a short session on the Usk.Fished from early morning before sun got to hot.
Covered some nice fish with everything I had.

Not a touch.
Seen a nice otter going down river as well as literally maybe 200 plus geese flying in V formation.Nice to see.

Sewinfly. ................

sewinfly

Wish it was,covered the fish with various flies but nothing.
So on with the Purple whiskers.

Sewinfly............

sewinfly

When I was a boy and a member of Caerphilly AA we use to have trips to Caermawr and the guy there was a Major Hopkinson ?? I believe that owned the beat.
They had a hut right on the bend above the pool we use to call the Hook.

Spencer...............

sewinfly

River was about 4" over our gauge this morning and with good clarity and hardly any leaves at all in the river.
Did have the 14footer with me and a spinning rod with a few rapalas and C's all on single hooks.

Started with a cone head flamethrower and a sinking tip and fished a few pools and nothing.

Had placed a few sticks in and noticed that it was dropping off with a good speed.
Eventually bumped a trout off with a spinner.Moved on down the beat but flow increased as the river narrowed to much.

Went back up and a heavy fish broke water and landed with a good crash,covered it many times but maybe it was running through.

If I was that salmon I wouldn't be to hasty as reading T&S that came through the letter box today was a report of a seal above the town water !!!

I blxxdy hope not.

Sewinfly. .............