Tippet material

Lawrence85

Can anyone recommend a good tippet material? Currently using fulling Mill fluorocarbon but a little wary of the knot strength for droppers. What's everyone using?

I tried fulling mill, drennan double strength, rio powerflex and stren fluoro, among others. None as good as Maxima green or brown. And it knots up a treat. When leaning on a fish with anytjing else i worry. With Maxima i am always confident. 10lbs for smaller stuff, 15lbs for bigger flies on sinking lines. This is a pretty agricultural approach, but it works.

roger

If you are looking for fluorocarbon for clear water daytime fishing I have found the Airflo sightfree G3 a good choice. I have total faith in it. It is rather expensive at £20 per 100metre spool but Fishtec always sell it BOGOF.

Last edited:

Lawrence85

To be honest I've never really liked the diamater of maxima for fly fishing but I'm gonna get some and try it. My local tackle shop stocks it so I'll try some 8 and 10 and see how I get on. Cheers guys.

tom_o_m

I tried fulling mill, drennan double strength, rio powerflex and stren fluoro, among others. None as good as Maxima green or brown. And it knots up a treat. When leaning on a fish with anytjing else i worry. With Maxima i am always confident. 10lbs for smaller stuff, 15lbs for bigger flies on sinking lines. This is a pretty agricultural approach, but it works.
I am using Rio powerflex at the moment, I've been quite impressed with it so far. Not too stuff, not too subtle, easy to tie and seems to have good knot strength.

If you dont mind me asking, what did you not like about it?

Am thinking of getting some Maxima simply for use with wake flies/large tubes.

Thanks

Tom

haptonlad

I like Maxima but IMO it takes a while before it gets properly soaked through for it to start to sink below the surface.
I'd rather use a strong fluorocarbon for surface water fishing.
The good thing about Maxima is it's strength, giving you confidence that it won't break if you hook a good fish.

I can't really remember to be honest. I think i struggled with it when i stuck a few late night "wind" knots in it and i worried it was brittle. But that may be either my casting, knot tying or latent paranoia. No such issues with Maxima.

I use Maxima green or brown in either 8, 12 or 15lb for both salmon and sewin fishing.

Yet to let me down, now I've said it!!