The South Devon Rivers 2014

tandem

Had half a dozen so far , hard going . All on the sunk line ( ND or interm.) with a large , light fly . Here's a couple of May fish .
River has been up , has now fallen . Might be time for a smaller fly and a floating line (!) . Shall have a go tonight .

Last edited:

tandem

If you are searching for a little inspiration i can think of none better than Queenie Pool , not my fish sadly , taken a year or two ago .

tandem

A really good photo taken by ' Mr Perfect ' a forum member . Had it as a screensaver for a while . Captures the pool perfectly . Taken a dawn I believe . Mine of the fish is a poor effort on my mobile phone . David Bailey I am not .

tandem

Single fly did well , to 4lb on medicine and a very skinny stoats tail tied on low water size fours , fine wire as you dare . All returned , hence net .

Mr Perfect

R Dart Jun 2014 6.25lb Sea Trout - Ottered.jpg

A 6lb seatrout that I found dead at dawn on R Dart. Fresh and apparently very healthy, other than the bite and claw marks.

Heard an almighty scrap just upstream around 0200, roughly where I later found this - wedged in between rocks at 2' depth. I presume it was otters fighting over the kill.

holloway

WP_20140608_004.jpg
View attachment 711

A 6lb seatrout that I found dead at dawn on R Dart. Fresh and apparently very healthy, other than the bite and claw marks.

Heard an almighty scrap just upstream around 0200, roughly where I later found this - wedged in between rocks at 2' depth. I presume it was otters fighting over the kill.
Have seen otters on nearly every evening on the lower Dart this season with half eaten seatrout quite a common sight ,sadly also diseased fish in quite large numbers some very near death one pool held four largish trout all completely pickled white all over a very sad sight indeed.WP_20140609_002.jpg

Last edited:

luap

The Teign has been fishing OK on the right night and the fish I have seen have all been in mint condition.

I have been away for a couple of weeks but prior to this I had a salmon of 9lbs and a few days later a sea trout of 4lb 5oz followed a few days after that by an 18” brownie, all caught on the fly at night when after sea trout. It was good also to meet Tandem and conveniently he was around to photograph the salmon.

There have certainly been fish coming in while I was away and I have had a couple since I got home. I had a fish on Wednesday on a moonlit night. As on at least one previous occasion in these conditions I had quite a few takes but missed most of them though I did hook and lose one other fish. I have come to welcome moonlight though it does need a bit of thought about where you position yourself. On a second night when I caught fish it was also moonlit but there was more shade where I was.

So far some entertaining fishing and I expect the quantity to improve even if the quality inevitably declines a little.

Last edited:

tandem

Fish sneaking in now . Sat on a gravel bank last evening and watched a small shoal swim upriver . Almost as if they were daring each other . Better than football . Caught nothing mind :)

reservoirobert

My first ever sea trout was caught on the river Teign at Chudleigh, we used to have a cottage and with it we had fishing above and below Chudleigh weir from the other side of the river to the one that runs alongside the main road. A wonderful river, when we first fished it (1987'ish) the fish jumping before dark was something else , it sounded like someone was throwing half paving slabs in. My question is what is the access to the river Teign like for a visitor as it would be nice to go back sometime in the future, I don't think the cottage is still let out and when passing near the fishing on the main rd there used to be a sign advertising it for sale I think.

ghammersley

Day tickets for Teign available I think from tackle shop in Newton Abbot. Above weir would be beat 2, below weir would be beat 3. Enjoy!

dazko

Couple of nights out on the lower Dart, nought other than browns. Good numbers of peal jumping in the pools.

First night, a badger came sniffing around my boots at dusk oblivious to me it shuffled past. Great bit of nature.

Second night, i found a guy fishing with bait in a good pool. Sent him on his way.

Also found a dead salmon of 31 inches with most of its throat gone. Fresh fish too. Otters no doubt.

Are there any DAA fishers out there? Its my first season on a peal ticket. Bagged one to date! Could do with some good advice if theres anyone out there...?

Happy to share my knowledge with the salmon, my usual forte. Please PM if your interested in getting in touch.

Regards.

Last edited:

tandem

Catching a few on the lower Teign now . Biggest in the last week about 6lb , took me down to the backing , thought it was a Salmon . Looked like a Leopard with big black spots . Swam away strongly .