The best seatrout lines ever made...

Lgraydonflyfishing

Hearing a few people rave about the vision vibe lines something I must try, maybe next season on a new hardy if work keeps busy 😃

elwyman

I've tried many, still looking for the perfect line. These are my current sea trout and trout lines

Sewincaster......cast and turnover really well, the 15' sink tips are a bit much for the small rivers I tend to fish now. The intermediate tip casts particularly well.
Snowbee XS floater.....a great floating line which I have used with various sinking braids and polyesters for sewin.
Cortland 444 midge tip....I like the 5' midge tip, but if I'm honest Cortland floating lines don't cast and shoot line as well as others. My main sea trout line since last season.
Rio Gold .....probably the best floating line I've cast, but pricey.
Maxcatch Avid.....Great line for about £18!
Maxcatch Gold....seems to be as good as the Rio for a fifth if the price or less!
Cortland 444 blue fast intermediate.....Great line, casts much better than the floater.
Airflo slow intermediate.....Nice line, casts well, good price.
Airflo di3.....good line, hardly used
Airflo di5......unused

I'd be interested to hear people's views on midge tip lines they've used......Airflo and Rio for example.

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

Airflo 8 weight midge tip is a darling to cast and to fish with. You all know my feelings regarding the Vision Vibe which is pretty exceptional in every weight. The Wulff Triangle Taper Nymph is one of the best lines I've chucked. Barrio SLX are wonderful but his quality control is really pi......poor. I have known people to put 3 or 4 7 weight lines on a set of scales and no 2 of them have weighed the same and none of them have weighed the 185 grains that a 7 weight trout line should weigh. None of them have been within the 177 - 193 grains window that a 7 weight line should comply with. Having said this though they cast beautifully both overhead and Speyed. Airflo do make a lot of lines and then badge them up for other 'manufacturers' There are in fact only a handful of manufacturers left. Rio, Airflo, Cortland and Scientific Anglers being the main ones. I am not a massive fan of Rio as I find the vast majority of their stuff overly heavy. I will.confess though that I still quite like the AFS for double handed fishing. The Outbound however is terrible.

Lgraydonflyfishing

To be honest I don't think I've ever cast a bad airflo line in all my years fly fishing (trout mostly) I used to like there ridge clear slow intermediate, cast off a medium action rod was an absolute dream, currently using the 5ft slow tip and really like it,then onto the 40+ float and intermediate which in my opinion is the best line ever made (personal preference of course), I like the rio scandi short which is very very good but at the top off the price bracket, wychwood make cracking quality line in the "connect" series have the floater, di3 and glass line all very good, they also do the same series in "energy taper" which is close to the 40+ taper and at around £35 they are really nice,

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

I was once given one of the old sharkskin lines that Scientific Anglers did. A 5 weight floating. It cast like an absolute bullet. I fished with it using 3 buzzers on a pond for rainbows. After my tenth fish I had to abandon it as all of the skin had worn off my thumb and the side of my index finger. The coating really was like sharkskin and any of you that have ever handled dogfish will.know exactly what I mean :(

Last edited:

weatherman

There was also the original Kelly Green intermediate fly line, superb bit of kit. "Technology" seems to have removed tried & tested items which stood the test of time for more consumable items which shortly need replacing. Marketing I suppose?

fishpond

Rio outbound intermdiate for me but with that nylon core it wont last as long. Also a hardy swift clear sink tip whochbia superb like a cortland but better taper and a scierra med sink an intermediate both made by airflo and low stretch - still not sure if hook up/netted rate is better with low/non-stretch lines though.

Worst probably a rio lumalux you can "charge" up with your torch to see where youre casting/fishing used it once and thought if i can see it so can the fish - thankfully it came on a reel sh so i didnt pay for it - on second thoughts equal to this was an original airflo floater aka the slinky spring of flylines fortunately the most recent suoerflo lines seem a lot lot better especially now theyve dropped the awful "ridge technology"

Tight lines

Richard

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Lgraydonflyfishing

Rio outbound intermdiate for me but with that nylon core it wont last as long. Also a hardy swift clear sink tip whochbia superb like a cortland but better taper and a scierra med sink an intermediate both made by airflo and low stretch - still not sure if hook up/netted rate is better with low/non-stretch lines though.

Worst probably a rio lumalux you can "charge" up with your torch to see where youre casting/fishing used it once and thought if i can see it so can the fish - thankfully it came on a reel sh so i didnt pay for it - on second thoughts equal to this was an original airflo floater aka the slinky spring of flylines fortunately the most recent suoerflo lines seem a lot lot better especially now theyve dropped the awful "ridge technology"

Tight lines

Richard

Airflo superflo 5ft slow tip is a fantastic line,lime green tip with yellow running, not the biggest taper in the world and will not load fast action rods to there full potential, however on a medium rod if absolutely flies off 🎣👍

alun

Cortland 5ft ghost tip
Cortland 15ft ghost tip
Cortland blue intermediate
Airflo 40+ floater for surface lures
Airflo 40+ fast intermediate

Lgraydonflyfishing

Maxcatch gold lines any good? How's there taper? I must say those vision vibe lines in 8.5 and 10.0 (head sections) look outstanding, especially for the wear to load nd go 🚀🚀🚀

elwyman

Maxcatch gold lines any good? How's there taper? I must say those vision vibe lines in 8.5 and 10.0 (head sections) look outstanding, especially for the wear to load nd go 🚀🚀🚀
I have a Maxcatch Gold WF4 which I bought to go with a 8' #4 rod for river trout and grayling. I've only used it a couple of times and it casts well, supple, no memory....can't knock it for the price.

tote

First up I'm not clued up on the technical data of lines, but can say how they perform, for me anyway.

I bought two Maxcatch Gold lines back in May, a #7 and #8, only used the 7 so far and can't fault it, no issue with memory and shoots out a treat, well worth the £12 I paid for it.

RhysMei

Here are my thoughts as a self-confessed line tart!!

For durability and feel I don't think you can go wrong with the Cortland 444 range. I have some Ghost, Type 3 and 5 sink tips and the classic Blue Intermediate going strong after several seasons use. The Intermediate in particular casts really nicely and slow sinking rate.

I tend to also use the Airflo 40+ Fast Intermediate (for larger flies & distance) and Di3 lines but to me, despite casting well, in general Airflo lines haven't got as nice a feel, tangle etc. but obviously this is a very personal thing! I also have the new Bomber floating line but again, feels quite stiff compared to my other floaters.

For me, I've found the Greys Platinum Extreme Floater is a really good line, under-rated and don't think they make them anymore but you can still find them around and probably slightly cheaper now. A slightly more aggressive taper but good for bigger flies, casts like a rocket and nice to handle. Snowbee lines also great casting and handling lines but suffer a bit durability-wise.

I also have a Scientific Anglers Professional Sink Tip (yellow and brown tip), really good line and casts slightly better than the Cortland equivalent, probably my favourite over past couple of seasons but I don't think they are available anymore.

Rio Gold and Midge Tip lines also great and I regularly use them for reservoir/lake fishing although quite a bit more expensive! The Grand shoots like a rocket but is a size or 1.5 sizes heavier so be mindful of that.

Last edited:

RhysMei

I've recently added a Loop Opti Flex Hover line to my collection and taken it out on my two recent trips out on the Tywi. Casts like a rocket, very smooth with thin running line. Easy to control and get delicate delivery at various distances. Feels a little like the Lee Wulff Triangle Taper lines but with more weight up front and therefore a quicker loading line that is better suited to casting larger flies etc. Not as soft and supple as say a Cortland or Snowbee line with a slightly harder surface not too disimilar to an Airflo line (but nicer!) My only concern so far is the durability of the thin running line but time will tell!

Last edited:

fishpond

Im a big fan of rio outbounds but they are now nearing £100 and shorter head (30') - john norris has some discpunted to £60 if you are after one. Havent tried the superflo version of airflo's 40 + but have the normal profile floaters which seem good will wait to see if these appear reduced from their current £60. Has anyone tried the two tone wychwood distance rocket taper? Are they any good and similar taper to those above as they are a lot cheaper!

Tight lines

Richard

Lgraydonflyfishing

Im a big fan of rio outbounds but they are now nearing £100 and shorter head (30') - john norris has some discpunted to £60 if you are after one. Havent tried the superflo version of airflo's 40 + but have the normal profile floaters which seem good will wait to see if these appear reduced from their current £60. Has anyone tried the two tone wychwood distance rocket taper? Are they any good and similar taper to those above as they are a lot cheaper!

Tight lines

Richard

Use the wychwood rocket floater original not the energy taper but they are ment to be ok, got a vision vibe 85 on a recommendation on here, blows most lines away. Highly highly recommended 👌

ibm59

Don’t do much creeping about the dark nowadays , but , when I did , I caught more seatrout on a Scientific Anglers SSI and wetcel 11 than any other line.