The best range of single handers ever made....

elwyman

Never fished the HLS. I know it had a really good reputation. I did have the Orvis Helios 10ft 7 weight. It was faster than Shergar being chased by a cheetah. I once picked up an Orvis Shooting Star Double hander that a feller brought along to a Prince Albert Open Day. Cheap as chips and a really really nice rod. The Sage XP range were very good rods. I did loads with my 9ft 5 weight. Very dated now though. I gave a lesson recently and my client had one. Crikey it was like going back a million years. In my own opinion though the XP was the best series that Sage ever did. Nothing they have done since has even raised a half smile from me ;)
I also had a Sage XP 9' 5 weight many moons ago, which I thought was brilliant. Interesting to hear your comments, I suppose rod performance improves in increments, so you only notice a big change when you go back a few stages in rod development.

I sold the XP and went through a stage of trying various Winston rods from Foxons, usually secondhand ones which were quite reasonable to px.

My current 5 weight is a Hardy Zenith Sintrix which I've had for quite a few years now, and it still amazes me as a great casting tool and fishing rod. I shall resist the temptation of trying newer 5 weights!

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

I also had a Sage XP 9' 5 weight many moons ago, which I thought was brilliant. Interesting to hear your comments, I suppose rod performance improves in increments, so you only notice a big change when you go back a few stages in rod development.

I sold the XP and went through a stage of trying various Winston rods from Foxons, usually secondhand ones which were quite reasonable to px.

My current 5 weight is a Hardy Zenith Sintrix which I've had for quite a few years now, and it still amazes me as a great casting tool and fishing rod. I shall resist the temptation of trying newer 5 weights!

I do really like Winston rods. I have a friend from Bangor On Dee who has a couple of double handers. Very traditional actioned rods. Absolutely delightful to fish with. I don't think it will come as any great surprise to any of you know me to read that the Loomis NRX range of single handed rods are among the best that I have ever chucked. I have enough of them to.qualify me to make such.sweeping statements. Paired up with a matching fly line they puuuurrrr like a big old Cheshire cat. I must declare my commercial affiliation with Loomis but again any of you know me will appreciate that I was waxing lyrical about their rods long before I got into a metaphorical bed with them ;)

fishpond

I think its really small incremental gains these days so for sea trout my favourites are a scierra hmsv2, sage xp, enigma mkiii, greys platinum xd and sparton HMG- all 10#8; three of them are three piece heaven forbid - i also use a carbotec elite 9'6" two piece i dont think adding joints makes rods necessarily better! For salmon the 15' loomis glx 10/11 and hardy elite 13'4" #9 are as good as anything newer ive tried. For trout i had two loop 9'#5 AEGs and rue the day that i sold them - still have an XP though that wont go anywhere! Just making up some bloke graphene blanks and will be interested to see what they are like

Tight lines

Richard

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk