The Auction ***please read***

L

lochbois

couldnt a simple members draw be made like in most social clubs then all 1187 are on equel terms. Do we have numbers or is our name our identity. They have machines to set the numbers out these days instead of somebodys hat. Is this the popularity competition that was won by my fellow N-E member Crocksky or is it completly diffrent thing.:)PB

outside

I am after the prize for the dullest sounding idea. How about an essay competition? 200 words on 'what is wrong with our rivers'? Decided by popular vote? Or by an appointed expert? There are lots of interesting views expressed on the forum, but in dribs and drabs all over the place, with bad and misleading punctuation and rushed typing, followed by ill considered criticism..
Yet there is some good writing too...

Is that too boring?

S

silverinvicta

Essay's

Essay's

Yes.......:mad:
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Seriously, how many out of well over a 1,000 do you really think would write an essay ????
We struggle to get 12 for a fly swap or tying comp....Even with some brilliant prizes on offer. :confused:
Si.........:p

outside

Yes.......:mad:
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Seriously, how many out of well over a 1,000 do you really think would write an essay ????
We struggle to get 12 for a fly swap or tying comp....Even with some brilliant prizes on offer. :confused:
Si.........:p
That is kind of the point though. Well over a 1000 members and how many regular posters??? The people who can be bothered can take the prize. And I meant the term 'essay' as a sort of joke really, which you may gather from the bit where I said '200 words'. There are many daily posts that are longer than that.

But, unlike the tying comp, this is open to everyone who can speak, which is one of the criteria mentioned. It is also in the spirit of the forum, as it would be a distillation of the tons of good ideas already here.

Ps, with the quote, but without this postscript there are 143 words in this post already... some of the other competitions ideas are already sounding too complicated for most people to bother in my opinion. This is dead simple

S

silverinvicta

The point about regular posters has been discussed many times in the past. If a member does not want to post then thats his/her perogative....In any forum only a percentage of posters will ever post, folk join for many reasons, some to gain info, others, many others, just out of curiosity, many will never log in again....Thats the way of forums....
What could be simpler than picking a few football teams ? ( PING) members could watch their progress if they so wished or just wait untill the end of the season for the results.. We have someone who is prepared to run it....There are no judges as such. Plus, i would bet there would be a thread running about it, I also bet the banter in that thread would worth reading :rolleyes:
I am certain that we would have more entrants than for an essay comp. Thanks for the suggestion though, at least someone is thinking...:D
(155 words with smilies but without punctuation marks :p )

Si........:D

Last edited:
L

lochbois

I dont like cricket

I dont like cricket

I dont like cricket oh no,and i dont like football .And i dont like Mondays when its raining.Can we do our essay in Text sir, because i will have to learn how to do text ,i cant even read text never mind write it.I could write a good essay at school, but that was 38 years ago and a lot of water has flown between my legs since then:D PB.

redfox

Originally Posted by lochbois
.... that was 38 years ago and a lot of water has flown between my legs since then PB.
PB, ever thought of trying a pad to cope with this unfortunate problem?

;)

Scrummy
Whilst on about the subject of water between the legs

Little girl sat in the class room squirming for a P!55, she tries for ages to get the teachers attention but to no avail, suddenly she starts crying and the teacher goes to investigate, on nearing the little girls desk she slips in a puddle that has formed on the floor and goes flat on her 4rsehole, not very happy, she gets up and grabs hold of the girl shaking her violently, she begins to hollow down her lughole, "why didn't you put your hand up", to which the little girl replied " I did Miss but it just ran through my fingers"

Redfox

L

lochbois

Man in the Wear

Man in the Wear

Who told you that one Redfox .Was it the fellow on the stool in the River Wear:D .I hope the poor fellow doesnt get knocked of his stool by a canoe:D.Could only happen in the North -East .You will have to get the fellow on You Tube he will be popular.:)PB

redfox

Well the footy idea for a comp has gone down the swannie, season has started, would have been very easy to enter and administrate, but never mind.

Anymore ideas out there ??????? Come on its your Forum, make it work

Redfox

Silkwood

Well the footy idea for a comp has gone down the swannie, season has started, would have been very easy to enter and administrate, but never mind.

Anymore ideas out there ??????? Come on its your Forum, make it work

Redfox

Redfox,

I don't think that your idea was necessarily a duff one, it's more like, most folks tend to shy away from anything that remotely suggests 'doing anything', even more so if there's a whiff of 'competition' about it!

In a way, I can see why. There will always be greater-or lesser-mortals than ourselves and in the world of fishing, or anything else for that matter, there will always be naturally talented luminaries whose talents seemingly know no boundaries; competition of any kind that is fair and open to all must include everyone and so entering often seems futile and in consequence, the great majority just don't bother-which IMO is a great shame.

Any subect connected with fishing..fly-casting, watercraft, tackle making, photography..probably most of all, fly-tying/dressing are things we call all do to some extent, yet are-oddly enough-the very things which most will never want to compete in, simply because the odds against us are impossible.
Most fly-tying/dressing competitions are-quite rightly-won by beautifully tied, artistic creations of perfect proportions and finish, a standard totally unachievable by all but a few, regardless of experience. I apologize if this sounds so negative, but c'est la Vie.

At the British Fly-Fair International, we see what we all either secretly or openly aspire to and because things like vices, tools and other fishing tackle accessories are so expensive now, my original suggestion, i.e. that there be say-two really attractive cash prizes for forum members, was offered, just as an attractive incentive, which I feel would draw more interest than a greater number of lesser ones..

...Or how about an all-expenses paid, guided day/nights' fishing on your local river/lake, with the forum picking up the tab..?

In the absence of any other ideas, why not just two names out of the hat for anyone posting more than 'X' times a week/month..? What do the moderators/admin. think..?

Regards,

Sw

S

silverinvicta

Silkwood said...Quote ["In the absence of any other ideas, why not just two names out of the hat for anyone posting more than 'X' times a week/month..? What do the moderators/admin. think..? "]End

Myself for one, not a lot, Silkwood....There's enough stuff posted already without some members putting any old thing up just to gain points..And there aint any fun in that anyway.....The interest shown in idea's shows just how many members are really interested... not a lot.

How about....
The best lie regarding fishing for seatrout ???

voted on by members perhaps :D And i mean no disrespect to anyone :rolleyes:...After all anglers are always being accused of that by all and sundry :p

Or a gurning comp ????

By photograph..We would have to trust members not to enhance the pics, but that could be checked if needed.....Again voted on by members or a judge with no connection to the forum....

C'mon guys lets have serious ideas that are workable...

Si........

Last edited:

outside

How about a 'trade secrets' thread. People could post those funny little things that they do that aren't in the books. Everyone has things like that, and it would actually add something useful to the forum. If it went ahead, posts should be concise and without other comments on them, or about them. A seperate thread could be used for voting perhaps?