Teifi '09

paul white

No I haven't got any photos, but wish now I'd taken some with my phone! If I tell you I am 60+ you'll understand why.

It's a case of not thinking about it at the time and then when someone asks, like you've just done, it's bugger why didn't I think of that!! It's what is commonly known as "Ageing"!!:rolleyes:

Paul

Waddington

Paul,

Thanks for sharing your success, and well done to you and your friend on your results on the weekend :). Really nice to hear about some fish. Totally agree with you about fish turning up at that height of water in unlikely places. All I can say is that I thoroughly combed a lot of areas that produced fish for me last year in hight water. I guess it's that old adage 'right place at the right time!' I'm a big believer that you have to remain confident to be successfull, and I do have to admit my confidence after a while was not perhaps what it should have been. Hopefully things will go more my way in the next few weeks.

Phil

paul white

Thanks a lot for your replies!

I think my pal is a lot like Raptor, he has an uncanny knack of winkling out salmon in any conditions! Apart from being very good at what they do,it's a bit like pigeon shooting, having the "eye" to see what is the most likely to bring success and getting under the line of flight, or in the case of salmon, where they're most likely to run!

Like a lot of people who've fished for years, it comes with experience of "reading the river". I can do it, but some are far better than others, hence their success. Another way of putting it is "Jammy buggers"!!;) They also spend a lot of time on the river! What was it Gary Player said? "It's funny, the more I practice the luckier I seem to get!" Very true!

Actually, I feel sorry for my pal and Raptor, they don't know the meaning of frustration, anger, rod-breaking tantrums etc etc;);):rolleyes:

Ah well, we keep on trying don't we........

Cheers

Paul

Dusty Miller

Well done on the fish. Sounds like a good outing.

I fished for a while last Saturday (same day that Waddington has reported). Fished the worm - had one nice pickup but nothing hooked. I was concentrating on the strip tight into the bank in the search for a running fish. Probably the wrong thing to do as I didn't catch anything! Met one angler who had lost a fish the day before on a Rapala. Pic shows the height and colour:

paul white

Hi Dusty,

Yep, recognise the colour and the height!!

You were doing EXACTLY the right thing by fishing close in to the bank as they are all sneaking up under the bank and I mean Right under the bank so imperative to keep footfall to a minimum.

The places to look for are where the current "sets" into the bank and then leaves a quiet dustbin lid sized stillish spot behind it. When we fished the Cothi for many years, we'd pray for a flood, as we knew exactly where the fish were sneaking up and then out with the worms!!;)

We caught our fish over the weekend on Sunday when the water had cleared a bit, except for one sewin on Saturday,on a shingle bank at the back end of a large holding pool in water just like your pic!

All the fish were on Rapalas, two of my pal's salmon were tight in to the bank, the other on Monday midday, when the water had dropped about a foot, was in a run out of a pool in fastish fairly clear water. My sewin were dotted around, but all during the day.

If you can get to the middle Teifi last week in September the grilse will be there hopefully in numbers. Last year we had 7 in the last week of September on Rapalas and fly. Kept two, but all fresh.

Here's hoping for a bit of water in the next week or two!

cheers

Paul

stig

Recognise the pool

Recognise the pool

Paul is dead right about fishing the nearside. I moved a fish of about 10lbs about 4 ft down from the balsam last October. Water was a touch higher maybe:)

plotter

anyone know if the grilse has arrived yet on the tiefi? everything seems abit late this year:confused:

paul white

If last year is anything to go by they will run on this next set of big tides, next week!:)

We should also get some good rain along with the tides, so fingers crossed, backend of next week and the rest of the season should be good.

That's the theory anyway, can someone please tell the fish........:rolleyes:

Cheers

Paul

jones

The Teifi had a good season (for salmon) last year with fish in abundance from the end of July, considering its the middle of September i would hope that the next water will bring in the beginning of the autumn run...

Waddington

Agree that last year there were a lot more Salmon about. This year in comparison, so far for me, has been very lean to say the least. I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to the Teifi, but to me there does seem a marked contrast when comparing the last two seasons up until this point! Sincerely hope some of the 'gloom' can be lifted by the fish making a strong appearance on the next bit of water!

Phil

dB

Nice one sewin40.... sounds like a perfect rise to get the fish moving!! My dad is fishing around Llandysul today and tomorrow - I'm at work!!! I'll update how he gets on...dB

sa1monid

Teifi up some 2ft in total and lots of salmon moving the next 2-3 days should be prime fishing :D

raptor

nice colour but only up about a foot not enough water for me and I did not see a fish:(

sa1monid

Quite a few fish moving through the Cenarth area Wednesday, I assume you were fishing higher up?

raptor

Quite a few fish moving through the Cenarth area Wednesday, I assume you were fishing higher up?
no 1/2 mile below Yesterday and I did not see a fish in 3hrs :( oh well that is me done for this year and i hope that the rest of you that are still fishing get better luck than i did :)

dB

Just heard from my Dad, he's been fishing around Llandysul today and yesterday... said river was excellent for the fly today but he didn't catch anything..... dB