Taff

sewinfly

River was 2-3 ft high today but with a cracking colour managed 1 brownie at 1.5 Ib which took a"C"(returned) no signs of the silver tourist.:confused:

sewinfly............

sewinfly

A couple from the Taff recently.

Had this one this morning on a yellow "C" and lost another.

All fish returned.

DAZ

It's funny how Taff Brownies vary so much in appearance.

They are all nice fish but,the top one is a stunner! - Well done mate.

It's a great river innit!.Not been down for a while now,looking forward to a trip when the water comes tidy :cool:

DAZ.

sewinbasher

Yes, three totally different looking fish, I wonder what the parentage was. The top one looks a bit like a trout from an Irish lough (or maybe Leven), the middle one like one from a small stream and the bottom is a typical river brownie.

sewinfly

They are all nice fish but,the top one is a stunner! - Well done mate.

It's a great river innit!.Not been down for a while now,looking forward to a trip when the water comes tidy :cool:

DAZ.
You are right DAZ, they do vary quite a bit, but they are always in great condition the top one put up a hell of a fight.
My intentions today was to fish a 12ft salmon rod but on arriving at the river I could not believe that the river had come up a good 2-3ft and was coloured.
Its going to be another couple of days before it settles again.

sewinfly...........

Aled

Cracking fish sewinfly.
All of the larger sewin i caught in the Taff had a bit of brown trout colour on them around the gill cover but with silver bodies, i would of questioned were they sewin or brown trout however all had a migratory fish tag in their backs and had been tagged at Blackweir. It could be that Taff sewin just have this bit of colouration or they had been in longer than i thought.
Tight Lines
Aled

L

lochbois

Trout fly or Sea-Trout Fly

Trout fly or Sea-Trout Fly

I have some "F-flies" which i use for trout and grayling .What is a "C" i have a friend who have just been to Scotland and they were catching fish on a fly that he was given ,at first he said the fly began with the letter "C" then he remembered the name and it was a Cascade .This fly seems to work for migratory fish everywere. Is "C" short for Cascade or is another new name for a Sea-Trout Fly.:confused:

I will take a estimated guess at this "lochbois" , and those that know better can correct if necessary...I believe this "c" that is referred to is a type of "lure" known as a "flying C"..or condom:confused: what it looks like I have no idea as I have never used one...the lure that is...Maybe ya could "Google" it

......POp

L

lochbois

spinners

spinners

you are probably right POp ,I have heard of the flying condom spinner but i dont fish the spinner.New names of Fly patterns seem to come on the market every day,it seems as though the condoms will be getting used in all this water we are getting in the N-East of England. Thanks <lochbois;)>

sewinfly

you are probably right POp ,I have heard of the flying condom spinner but i dont fish the spinner.New names of Fly patterns seem to come on the market every day,it seems as though the condoms will be getting used in all this water we are getting in the N-East of England. Thanks <lochbois;)>
My fault lads when I arrived at the Taff it was pushing through quite a bit, with 2-3ft of extra water the flow was very fast,so it was a last minute thought to put the spinning rod in the car.
My intentions was to fish a 7-8 wt salmon rod which I did try but the current was to strong(fly was on top of the water even mending the line all the time).
So I put on a Yellow Condom(if that sounds correct ;)) and started spinning.

sewinfly.......

L

lochbois

greedy trout

greedy trout

Sewinfly, the R Wear i fish was carrying a bit of extra water thur evening and their seemed some good rises and some nice fish jumping out of the water .I think these were some nice browns but i never got one to take my fly ,browns get greedy at this time of year ready for winter i believe .I have some spinning gear but i have only caught mackrel on it.Raining here again ,fish are running, but would be better if it would settle.

sewinfly

"I have some spinning gear but i have only caught mackrel on it.Raining here again ,fish are running, but would be better if it would settle".

Lochbois you should try spinning for the silver fish I myself really enjoy it, I find it rewarding when a cast is made in between trees and under growth etc.
The fishing can be just as exciting as the fly when a fish follows and lunges at the spinner just as it leaves the water ready for your next cast.

"Fish the conditions that nature dictates, for all fishing is enjoyable be you a man or a boy"

If you are ever this way give me a ring.

I like mackrel on the spinner to.

sewinfly.......

L

lochbois

New Holes

New Holes

I am thinking of trying both the worm and the spinner, ive been fishing 40 + years and am still learning .the floods we have had has ripped out trees ect ,ive got some brandlings in my compost heap that need a saddle not a hook ,seems a shame to kill them .like you say i am missing some spots where a wom or spinner would work. Extreme Fishing on the River Wear ,sounds like a T.V show. Thanks < lochbois>

sewinfly

Taff is as clear as tap water today with a nice level to the river.
Flies hatchwas on as well but be careful when wading as the gravel is very loose.
As I found out today :( with a bit of a ducking :eek:

sewinfly............

L

lochbois

Quick Sand Shifting Gravel

Quick Sand Shifting Gravel

My river where i fish has had a lot of gravel and sand shifted .I got a shock trying to get across a sand bank that was not a problem before.The river i am talking about is the Wear in the north-east ,it has created new pools i am catching fish out off pools that i have never caught fish in before ,that is why i think it is important to stick with your favourite river and learn it because they are always changing .Trees are going to be a problem this year,ok if you have a log burner .Please take care on any river .< lochbois>

sewinfly

Out on the Taff again early this morning(god knows how many trips now!) fished a few known pools for the silver fish but not even a pull.
Water was great, still carrying extra water, and swinging the fly around lovely.
The Taff is a strange river a lot of gravel movement has taken place and scoured out some of the pools so maybe the fish have moved as well?
Roll on the South Esk.

sewinfly..........

sewinfly

Taff pushing through hard and about 12" plus but running clear.
Very cold air temperature and water.
Had to use some heavy bugs to get to a couple of ladies today as they were hard on the bottom. :rolleyes:

sewinfly.......