Surface Lure Tactic?

Alwyn

I was thinking about the well established tactic in loch / reservoir trout fishing of fishing with a team of flies with a bob fly on the top dropper used to cause a wake, with the trout often taking one of other 2 flies - has anyone tried a similar tactic on a river for sea trout, but with a surface lure on the dropper and a sinking fly trailing? If yes, with what results?

T7

I was thinking about the well established tactic in loch / reservoir trout fishing of fishing with a team of flies with a bob fly on the top dropper used to cause a wake, with the trout often taking one of other 2 flies - has anyone tried a similar tactic on a river for sea trout, but with a surface lure on the dropper and a sinking fly trailing? If yes, with what results?
Yep, works well at times. I'd recommend a muddler for the dropper rather than a big surface lure to save tangles. Interestingly I've also done well with a 'washing line' set up with a big surface lure on the point and a normal fly or small tube on the dropper. I think the wake definitely brings them up to have a look and then they take the smaller 'normal' offering. This tactic has worked for me on nights where they are just splashing at the surface lure without taking properly.

Andy R

I think falkus covered this in his book, called it fishing `round the clock` with a team of flies, working the bob. Not tried it myself as on the Dovey most of the fish are taken on sunk lures and tubes ( at least much of the big stuff anyway)

weatherman

Try fishing a darkish fly only a foot to 18inchs behind the waking fly.
jon
Now then, jj1 has nailed this, as far as fishing on the Neath goes....... I normally use something like a Murrough, with a deer hair wing and either a Connemara Black or Allrounder.....depending on the conditions it can be very successful...........nothing quite like experimenting with whatever you fancy though! Sea trout fishing.......you definitely cannot predict what's right or wrong.....just go for it!!

Last edited:

jj1

Yes T7, just offering another option, also 2 plastics tubes do well too.
the art of fishing a wake fly is as diverse as any other method in seatrout fishing and long may it continue :)
jon

Last edited:

Glyn

You could also try a large stimulator fly well floatant'ed on its own if you didnt want to go with a big surface fly/lure, it should wake the surface ok if used in not too fast a water.
cheers
Glyn

Last edited:

Jonathan

I've had some success with a normal trout sized muddler on the dropper and a small fly on the point. This has been up on the South Esk where most of the time small flies on a floater are used. Incredibly tiny plastic tubes fished so they make a wake can also be successful up there. Never thought to try a washing line type set up for some reason, but will do so when next up there.

sewinfly

I've had some success with a normal trout sized muddler on the dropper and a small fly on the point. This has been up on the South Esk where most of the time small flies on a floater are used. Incredibly tiny plastic tubes fished so they make a wake can also be successful up there. Never thought to try a washing line type set up for some reason, but will do so when next up there.
Where to on the S-Esk Jonathan.

Sewinfly...................

Jonathan

Sewinfly - I've fished the Kirrie club water up in Glen Clova for a long time going up there on holiday having joined the club many years ago when I lived up there for a year

sewinfly

I fished several years at Kintrocket,had some nice salmon there and we always fished the back end of the season.
Not been for a while now so maybe this year.
Sewinfly............