Sunray shadows

billy67

Absolutely deadly just cast and strip
I got some smaller ones tyed with real monkey that I used and the fish loved them
You've made a great job of them
Do you fish them straight off a floater ?

lewiswearfisher

Absolutely deadly just cast and strip
I got some smaller ones tyed with real monkey that I used and the fish loved them
You've made a great job of them
Do you fish them straight off a floater ?
Fast and high in the water off polyleaders mate, 1.5ips and 3ips seem to generate the most interest....Water conditions applicable of course ?

billy67

Have you tried the sunrays tyed on needle tubes as I've had great results with them
Even monkeys tyed on the needle tubes are really good
The stainless tubes are just enough to stop them from skating

lewiswearfisher

Have you tried the sunrays tyed on needle tubes as I've had great results with them
Even monkeys tyed on the needle tubes are really good
The stainless tubes are just enough to stop them from skating
Yes, fish very well and super streamline. Going to fish some tied on doubles this season also down to size 14

billy67

Lgraydonflyfishing I've never had much success with them tyed on a hook everything I got was on a tube
Thats not to say it doesn't work just that it didn't work for me
I have a small piece of monkey hair that might suit your small hooks or a micro tube or two
its really not much but I could put it in your envelope this week if it helps
Just let me know billy67

lewiswearfisher

Lgraydonflyfishing I've never had much success with them tyed on a hook everything I got was on a tube
Thats not to say it doesn't work just that it didn't work for me
I have a small piece of monkey hair that might suit your small hooks or a micro tube or two
its really not much but I could put it in your envelope this week if it helps
Just let me know billy67
Of course mate chuck it in, I'll tie some up with it, maybe some smaller tubes ?

billy67

Billy,
Out of curiosity, what area of the country is stamping ground?
Just wondering which rivers you call home ?
Hi stoatstail I'm from Balloch which is next to loch lomond
I fished the River Leven from a child in the 70s and then in the 80s I got a wee car which opened up all of Scotland
My other main river for night fishing was the Teith which had a great run of sea trout and salmon
I also fished the odd times on the River Earn at Kinkell and the River Nith at Barjarg
I fished all over for salmon but wasn't quite so well traveled for sea trout
Hope that helps

stoatstail

Hi stoatstail I'm from Balloch which is next to loch lomond
I fished the River Leven from a child in the 70s and then in the 80s I got a wee car which opened up all of Scotland
My other main river for night fishing was the Teith which had a great run of sea trout and salmon
I also fished the odd times on the River Earn at Kinkell and the River Nith at Barjarg
I fished all over for salmon but wasn't quite so well traveled for sea trout
Hope that helps
Yeah, sorry I was just curious where you fished?
I'm on the English side of the border.
Mainly the Lune, Eden and latterly the Wear.
I've fished most of the West Cumbrian rivers and the Border Esk, Liddle, Annan and Nith.
Also other Solway rivers but never got much further north or south than that ?

weatherman

If anyone has watched videos by Henrik Mortensen, he has used the Sunray Shadow as small as quarter of an inch as "hitch Flies", especially for salmon during the day, basically a surface lure which proves itself a very effective lure in Iceland in their rivers, however, who can say it doesn't perform in this part of the world.

lewiswearfisher

An electric blue version which has done really well for a gentleman in Scotland last season, lovely shade of blue from Sean stanton at franc n snealda. Top notch tying materials I must say.. Screenshot_20211220-102444_Gallery.jpg

billy67

weatherman the small hitch tube can be very successful in Scotland especially in low water fished off the single hander
I've never heard much about its success or not in england although I'm sure some people must have tried it
Lgraydonflyfishing I must admit to never having tried a blue one but have had decent results on one with pink or yellow
and my freind had a few this year on one called the gunnray shadow tied with yellow/orange american oppossum and monkey over
and tied on a black tube

lewiswearfisher

weatherman the small hitch tube can be very successful in Scotland especially in low water fished off the single hander
I've never heard much about its success or not in england although I'm sure some people must have tried it
Lgraydonflyfishing I must admit to never having tried a blue one but have had decent results on one with pink or yellow
and my freind had a few this year on one called the gunnray shadow tied with yellow/orange american oppossum and monkey over
and tied on a black tube
Was speaking to a lad from Scotland he had 40 odd on the blue last season on a spate river fished just below the surface, gunrays are lovely flees great colours to them ?

Reactions: T7

billy67

Thats as good a reason for trying a fly as I ever heard especially with the conditions wee had this year
I think I will have to get a few of them in the box

Andy62

I was told to try a hitch tube on the Naver Estuary last year, I gave it a go as it's no great difference to using a surface lure at night. I sealed the top of the tube with UV varnish but I couldn't help feeling that a Muddler would do the same. The fish never looked like they would take on the pool, it was like a starting line for the salmon as the tide comes in and levels creep up they were fighting to get over the line. The fish were around my feet, great to see and good for the spirit. I'm already looking forward to going back. The trout on the Welsh Dee like the Sunray, when there's still a foot of water on they hit them hard. The first sea trout I hooked last year was on a sunray ( I lost it almost immediately after and didn't catch another one for two months)