Strange things

Lgraydonflyfishing

Whats the weirdest things you have seen/happend to you when night fishing......3 for me
1, a bloody git seatrout jumped right out next to me a absolutely soaked me 不不不 scared the living daylights out of me

2, slipped off a big rock this season and went fully under water at 1am christ that woke me up.

3, stepped off a 6ft embankment straight into bushes which I thought was the path to a pool 不不不 pitch black and stepped off into thin air 不不不

weatherman

Casting to a bloody seal on the Towy in pitch blackness, damn thing was breaking water as if it was a fairly large seatrout! Not a single fish in that tidal stretch of water. Mate casting upstream just to get the lures working before starting to work down a pool. Said he had a double hook-up but netted 1 sewin, both his point fly & dropper taken by this solitary fish! Amazing.

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

1. Fishing the River Wear as a guest of a member. We fished all day, him for trout as he didn't salmon fish and me for salmon. We got some dinner at 6.00pm from a local chippy. Dossed on the back of my pick up truck for a bit and then headed down for a nigh session sea trout fishing. The beat at Chester Le Street is filled with huge Jurassic Park vegetation and I was absolutely knackered from chopping my way through huge cabbage leaves. At about 1.45am in the morning with seeming not a single soul about a couple of the cabbage leaves start to shake and up pops a feller whom it seems had been asleep there all night. i didn't know whether to belt him, kiss him or scream for my mother.

2. I used to fish a beat on the Mid Lune called Arkholme where I had a Sunday rod. There was one pool in particular where one fellow angler and his wife used to absolutely hog all night. You could never ever get them to shift and although they did step and cast they really did shuffle their feet like the living dead. I took a guest on there one Sunday night and as I had a guest took the following day off work. We took a few fish and finished off in a pool directly above where Mr and Mrs Heron had spent the previous evening mermaid spotting. 6.00am in the morning lay on the bank swigging coffee before we left. Sea trout as we all know are not seen much if at all in daytime, low clear water. in this particular pool in now broad daylight I witnessed fish rising and boiling over in something akin to an evening rise on a trout pond. There were quite literally hundreds of fish going absolutely ballistic and smashing stuff on the surface and emerging flies. This went on for about 45 minutes and finished as rapidly as it started.

3. On that very same pool at Arkholme I was fishing on a Sunday evening. You parked up and walked over a viaduct down a railway line to cross the river. I am type 1 diabetic and had been feeling a little low on glucose. I drank some Lucozade which I always carry with me when I fish. Then I drank some more and some more and some more until no more Lucozade in my fly vest. Feeling extremely weird as low glucose makes me feel and actually really weak I hook into a fish just above the viaduct. I am up to my waist on water standing on gravel. It was a decent fish and is dragging itself down stream and under the viaduct. For reasons I still do not understand I stepped forward into oblivion. I was over my head in water. I am not a strong swimmer at the very best of times. While hypoglycaemic I am dead meat. I did manage to scramble out, get back over the viaduct and to my truck. Drank a load of sugary stuff and stripped down and dried off. only then did I fully appreciate just how bloody stupid I had been.

PS On the diabetic note T7 once fished with me as my guest on Yorkshire Fly on the River Eden. We walked about a mile from a lane down to the river. I had left my drinks in my truck. I was sweating and shaking like the proverbial dawg having a poo. Gawd bless him he quite literally ran the mile back to my truck and mile back to the river to dig me out of the proverbial mire. He never, ever brings this up as I don't think he sees it as particularly special. I see it as extremely special as quite frankly he probably saved my life. Simon, I will never ever forget what you did for me :love:

luney

One night fishing the Lune at Kirkby Lonsdale with a friend of mine I was working my way down the bridge pool and something further up river caught my eye in the darkness, it looked like a salmon head back and tailing, then I noticed it again only closer. wondering what I was seeing I stopped and just starred at the place I'd seen the disturbance. Suddenly I nearly had the rod pulled out of my hand as the fly was dangling in the current I instinctively lifted into the fish it took off down the river at great speed it felt huge as my rod was bent right over as I tried to stop it going through the bridge. As it approached the bridge it stopped I kept the pressure on it, then I noticed an otter climb out of the river onto the shingle in front of the bridge and start rooting around in it coat 2 minutes later it slid back into the river I reeled in and it had very generously I thought let me have my size 6 viva back. I sat down and was sure my head was about to explode with the adrenaline. Bat sh*t crazy I know, my friend still laughs about it now, me screaming for him to come give me a lift to land the biggest fish I'd ever hooked丹儭丹儭

tote

1. Fishing Camplefoot alone just on the darkening on a summer's night and I heard a massive splash a good bit below me. That was followed by a lot of water being thrashed about. Went to investigate to find a cow had slipped off the bank into the river, had landed on it's side and couldn't get out, luckily it was managing to keep it's head above water but as it got tired it's head kept dipping below now and then. I had the farmers number as my eldest son worked at that farm so at 11pm I phoned to explain the situation and he said he'd be down. I was expecting him to arrive with the tractor and loader or at least the quad bike but no, him and his wife walked down. Both of us had to get into the river and somehow we managed to get it up on its hoofs. When the farmer went round the other side of it to shoo it back onto land he went into a hole and the water was over his waist, his 瞿500 phone got a soaking and was no more. It was better news for the cow though.

2. Was spinning with a mate one day at Red Broos and as he cast his Dexter lure across a Cormorant flew upstream, he hit it full wack, the hooks set in and the bird kept going snapping his 30lb braid like cotton.

3.Sea trout fishing at 1am one night, pitch black I moved pools and as I headed down a bank in the reeds I missed my footing and went arse over tit into the river, it was only a foot deep so didn't get too wet but rattled myself off the bottom. Sorted myself out and started fishing the pool, eventually got a take and bang I was into it, the surface activity was unreal, then eventually I realised it was a Mallard, managed to get it in and unhooked eventually, that was an experience.

4. Not me but one of the lads I know swears he seen a big black cat (Puma/Panther) one day when he was crossing the Scaur at Scaurfoot. There's been a few "sightings" in this area by locals over the years.

5. Many years ago, late 70's as a boy fishing for sea trout at Big Porters there was a shout from further down the pool that someone was into a big sea troot, even though it was dark we all went down to watch the scrap, it turned out the bloke had 2 sea trout on, one had taken the point and the other the dropper, both fish about 2.5lb, he ended up only getting the one.

tote

Brilliant stories tote, I've read a few people say they have sworn they have seen big cats on there nights on the river. Not something you want to bump into 不不不
I've done a lot of lamping, rabbits, foxes etc over the last 35 year yet never seen anything that resembled a big cat. I'm not a disbeliever but think if there was something about I might of seen it or came across a kill it's made.

Lgraydonflyfishing

I've done a lot of lamping, rabbits, foxes etc over the last 35 year yet never seen anything that resembled a big cat. I'm not a disbeliever but think if there was something about I might of seen it or came across a kill it's made.
For sure mate.....gets you thinking about things you hear go bump in the night whilst out sewin hunting tho

elwyman

Wading waist deep in the Conwy after midnight, half asleep when something bumps into my legs, thinking crocodiles but turn round to see a log floating down river.

Fished the night through on the Elwy and as it starts to lighten my mate hooks a mallard in mid flight. Talk about screaming reels.

I already mentioned my werewolf encounter on the Conwy this season!

I've heard some horrible noises at night, probably foxes but your imagination makes it much worse.

When I first started night fishing it took me a while to realise the person coughing behind me was a sheep.

Lgraydonflyfishing

Wading waist deep in the Conwy after midnight, half asleep when something bumps into my legs, thinking crocodiles but turn round to see a log floating down river.

Fished the night through on the Elwy and as it starts to lighten my mate hooks a mallard in mid flight. Talk about screaming reels.

I already mentioned my werewolf encounter on the Conwy this season!

I've heard some horrible noises at night, probably foxes but your imagination makes it much worse.

When I first started night fishing it took me a while to realise the person coughing behind me was a sheep.
Brilliant!!!

Andy62

Although not sea trout or night related, the strangest encounter I had was fishing at Lamaload Reservoir one June evening with my brother. He left his net in my car and there was a big Mayfly hatch. I offered to fetch the net. Walked up the bank to find a dusky maiden in skimpy bra and knickers and a pink boa with her boyfriend taking pictures. On my return I sent my brother up to make sure I had not being imagining such happenings
I have also witnessed the cow falling in at 01:00, My friend who was fishing near nearly himself The cow was fine.

Lgraydonflyfishing

Although not sea trout or night related, the strangest encounter I had was fishing at Lamaload Reservoir one June evening with my brother. He left his net in my car and there was a big Mayfly hatch. I offered to fetch the net. Walked up the bank to find a dusky maiden in skimpy bra and knickers and a pink boa with her boyfriend taking pictures. On my return I sent my brother up to make sure I had not being imagining such happenings
I have also witnessed the cow falling in at 01:00, My friend who was fishing near nearly himself The cow was fine.
不不不不不不不 class

T7

Ah so you have met Teal Blue and Long John Silver

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

Ah so you have met Teal Blue and Long John Silver

Next time out I will tell you all about the 3 lesbians in the ragtop Mercedes at Wetheral. Never before or since have I managed to get myself into quite such a state of tizzy while wearing my waders. They were certainly not at all ashamed about, well you know...............stuff :love: