storering apples

L

lochbois

I will be going windfall collecting today.
The trees are looking as if the strong winds have done their job and the rivers will be full of leaves.
Apple crumble is my speciality and hopefully a few brambles will be still around in the old railway line valleys.
I went for some apples the other day and some of the apples were rotting on the Trees .
I havnt seen my first fieldfayre or redwing yet but hopefully i will today :)PB.

sewinbasher

For the best apple crumble you need to use a few apples that are not bramblies as they will give a little texture as the bramblies turn to mush.

Down here in Wales I would not expect to see a fieldfare or redwing for a couple of weeks yet.

L

lochbois

Apple and the odd bramble

Apple and the odd bramble

Apple and Bramble crumble is what im hopeing to create.
I live by myself so anything goes in the dish and Tescos supply the crumble . The blackbirds in my garden get the corrs ect and the worms in the compost bin get the peelings .;):)PB

sewinbasher

Apple and Bramble crumble is what im hopeing to create.
I live by myself so anything goes in the dish and Tescos supply the crumble . The blackbirds in my garden get the corrs ect and the worms in the compost bin get the peelings .;):)PB
Oh you mean apple and blackberry - no problem - even better! It's been a very good year for blackberries and almost every other type of fruit. The damson gin is already "cooking" and I've seen tons of sloes around and I'll be collecting in a little while.

L

lochbois

Last of the brambles

Last of the brambles

Ive managed to get a box full of Brambles to go with my apples .Their is plenty of sloe berries some are really big and others are dried out on the bushes.
The favourite place i usually get the last brambles from was very poor.
Their was some Black Plums but i didnt fancy ripping another pair of cragghoppers climbing trees and fighting through bracken.
Never saw any Fieldfares but its a beautiful sunny Grayling day.
We need some steady rain to get the migratory fish running and the ground is solid here in the north east.;):)

stig

Picked several pounds of sloes

Picked several pounds of sloes

this afternoon, got a spot that produces shed loads each year. Picked up the gin but forgot the castor sugar:eek: Will have to wait until tomorrow night now before I get pricking:). Would agree that it's been a good year for blackberries,runner beans too, still got flowers on mine:)

L

lochbois

Sloe Gin

Sloe Gin

I could get plenty of sloe berries but i darnt start on the Gin;).
Largers my drink if i go out :D.
I Dont drink any alcohol in my house,and i dont want to start:eek:.
Would the black plums been Damson plums .They were the size of cherry tomatoes.
Years ago we had a very intresting debait over sloes and damsons .
The two fruits i found today were one bitter the other sweat.
I fancied a pint of larger in the village pub that i used to drink 7 days a week for about 20 odd years but £3 a pint these days has killed pub life:)PB

L

lochbois

Plums

Plums

Thanks Daz, I will leave them for the birds when they arrive .We had a large flock of Waxwings feeding on the berries ect last year. You would be surprised at the number of people who didnt know these beautiful visiters were in the bushes so close on such a busy walkway .:)PB

sewinbasher

Last year was a terrible sloe year wasn't it. Lots of apples though
A friend in Devon couldn't get more than a 1lb or so and asked me to help. I searched around my part of north Wales and they were very sparse, just a few here and there until I found one hedgerow where there were some and picked up 10lbs in an hour or so but without that one spot I'd have been struggling.

Aled

Sloe Gin

Sloe Gin

Put mine to ferment on Sunday evening.
Only one bottle, but i've got Penderyn whiskey to put in my hip flask until then!
Sloes seem to be in good numbers this year, and Mum and Dads orchard have had a great apple crop, most of which we have already eaten!
My mother in law though is a great country cook, we've had some fantastic apple and blackberry jams, and pies Sunday tea time specials!
Tight Lines
Aled

L

lochbois

food for free

food for free

I cant beleive with all these cooks on the Telly 24-7 that more people dont feed for free .
I have done since i was a child im now 53 and i love looking in the hedges and fields:D.
Ive stopped driveing over fields to try and get a rabbit or pheasant :D.
Please dont slaughter me for my last comment:eek:
Im not proud of some of the daft and cruel things i have done in my 53 years.
Ive got my eye;) on a pear tree in a garden in a village where in my school days we would of filled our jumpers with them pears:D
Just the other day i had to protect my 90+ neighbours from nine 12-17 year old threatening him with violence and police action for protecting his property.
They put the ball through his window the week before at 8-30pm .
They wernt aiming for the pensioners window they missed the Television connection box that was in front of the window:mad:.
One of the 12 year olds who called me a Grass for reporting them to the police because they have put 3 dents in my car bodywork wanted me to hit him so he could grass me up.
I couldnt touch any of the 20 children who were looking for trouble because i already have a criminal record on file and i have too much fishing time and fruit picking time to be sat rotting in Jail:D.
One neighbour said i should turn a blind eye;) to the problems.
If i did that i would still be able to hear the buggers im not DEAF;):)PB

PS Hope this rain gets the mushrooms out, ive found a pan full this year.
i used go to Teesdale on a Sunday morning and then go into the pub with 3-4 carrier bags of field mushrooms for my mates or any one who asked for a couple:)PB

clwydspecial

Don't forget you can make a lovely drink with a few lbs of plums, suger and Brandy (you can also change the Plums for Damsons)

L

lochbois

larger lout

larger lout

I love drinking the fruit juices from the fruits that i collect .
Larger is my drink with a game of Dominoes and some salted nuts in the club.
Never started drinking in the house doesnt appeal to me.
Hazel nuts are a thing i cant find. Read all the books ,but i have yet to come across the wild ones.
They are nice with a plnt of larger.:)PB

outside

Seriously, hazel nuts are everywhere, its just that the squirrels take them before they are ripe. I am told the red squirrels leave them later, which may be a major factor in their decline!

L

lochbois

Gathering Nuts

Gathering Nuts

I can find plenty of acorns and i think ive found the hazel tree.
You are probably right about the squirells i have never heard that before.
I should go on the organised nature walks but im a bit of a loner and like to do my own nature detective work:) .
Im 53 and have just learnt how to plug this computor on which explains a lot about me.:DPB