South Devon Rivers

tandem

Hello All , just a quick note to say that the Teign is fishing well . Reasonable run of larger fish in April and May followed by good numbers of school peal . Not many fishing which is odd given the improvement in fish numbers compared to the last few years .
Encouraging noises on the bush telegraph from the Dart but I won't be getting a ticket until I hear solid runs have been re-established , the fish come first .
There are some reports of Fungal disease but I have only seen one or two cases myself .
Hope all are well and tight lines .

tom_o_m

Just to echo the above, my dad and I have fished the upper Teign from late May and have had some success. The average size has been pretty decent. The smallest at 16", the largest at 22". My dad has been back recently and the fish are there but seem well settled. A bit of water to get them going would be appreciated.

tom_o_m

I too would like to hear a bit more from the Dart. Would love to purchase a day ticket again but would like to know the numbers are there first. My absolute favourite river, but I have never fished it when there was any substantial activity. I hope it is back!!

Silkwood

Sorry to report that the Dart has been having a dreadful time over the past few seasons and this year hasn't been any better-up to now that is.
One of the biggest problems has been the lack of rain. Whilst the rest of the Country seems to have had quite a bit-especially this past week-the West has had an almost complete lack of it in enough volume to affect the rivers. I have never ever know a season-or year come to that-where there has been no significant spate for the entire year. We have been promised a goodly amount this week and we desperately need it for it is long overdue..

I fished near Hood bridge one night last week (it was very bright and noisy!) and the river is so low that even with a floating line and small fly, I was snagging the bottom frequently. One medium sized fish was very briefly hooked but that was all. There are a few small schoolers about but not in any great numbers.
From what I have been told, about half of the sea trout which have entered the Dart this year have died from disease already and it doesn't look good for the salmon either.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that's about the size of it at the moment.. The Dart needs a good flush out and a lot more oxygen in it so let's hope that the promised rain materialises, cleanses the river and brings up a few fish. We still have two months and sometimes the last two have been the best..Let's hope August and September will make amends..

..fingers crossed!

wm+

tom_o_m

Thanks Watermole, I for one really appreciate the update even if it is cause for concern.

It is really sad to see that the recovery of the Dart seems to be on hold due to a lack of water. I'm from Devon, a lack of rain was unheard of. We live in strange times.

If the much needed spate arrives I'll definitely be there soon after.

Regards

Tom

tandem

Sad news from the Dart . Something is wrong .
Why so much disease ? Change In sewage management? Whatever it is , it’s brought a superb fishery to its knees .
Still a few to be had on the Teign . They’re a bit tweaky but they can be caught .
Got a grilse last night at twilight . Scary after the modest challenge of school peal . Remembered what the drag was for .

tom_o_m

Really interesting to see that the lower Teign had a bumper year (437 ST) despite widespread doom and gloom for most of our rivers. Chimes with what we experienced in the upper Teign where my father is a member; there were heaps of early season fish but conditions conspired against us beyond early July.