South Devon Rivers

luap

I've been out Monday and again tonight. Totally dead on Monday but had several pulls tonight not all of which I was certain were trout. No sea trout showed however.
I am not optimistic about the season. Last year it was an odd fish in April and then nothing until the middle of June.

silverflash

I feel like an old friend has died!!! I fished Totnes weir on Saturday night, grabbing a quick break, as I have often done at this time of the year and nothing quite prepared me for the dramatic changes the new Hydro has done to the pool. It's a different pool with totally different currents and wading areas. Not a fish to be seen anywhere either as I'm told they are simply running through without stopping!!! The new fish ladder is clearly working!
Fished the main river Sunday night and saw nothing. Apparently a big shoal has been seen in the pool above Dart bridge.

tandem

Have been out a couple of times , odd fish seen but none caught , not by me anyway . I do know that a handful have been caught on fly at night . Raining hard all day so not fishing tonight . Soon ....

Cornishyaker

Fished a South Devon river Sunday night, conditions were perfect, still 20 degrees at midnight. heard one fish move all night but managed to land a cracking fresh 6lber. My best fish to date on a 2 inch tube. 1st trip and a fish under my belt, does life get any better? Me thinks not. Nice to have a bit of luck for a change!

tandem

Have managed 7 fish in the last week on the Teign all 2-4 lbs . All Fresh healthy fish . Last spate left the river a bit dark and got in the way a bit but generally good . Currently raining . I have seen no disease on the Teign .
How is the Dart getting on ?

ghammersley

Very poorly it would seem. I have not caught anything so far and barely seen any fish. I have not heard that others are getting much action either.

JB

I think there is a serious problem on the Dart with regard to numbers. It may be a blip after last year's bad return.

lostangler

Anyone seen any fish on the Dart this year? Am coming down next weekend for a couple nights at Holne and wondered if there was anything moving. Cheers.

JB

Anyone seen any fish on the Dart this year? Am coming down next weekend for a couple nights at Holne and wondered if there was anything moving. Cheers.
I'm sorry to say that it doesn't look great on the Dart at the moment. To my eyes it doesn't look as though there is anything like the number of fish in the river that there should be. Though of course you may be lucky!

It might be worth trying for a few nights on one of the other South Devon rivers if you can?

watermole+

I had a present today, in the shape of a leisurely nostalgic trip on a steam-hauled train from Buckfastleigh to Totnes and back. It was a glorious, warm afternoon and as the little engine took its train down the line beside the Dart river, I naturally looked into the water to see if there were any fish showing..
The river is now terribly low and looking very sad with so much weed growing in the lake-like, long pools and desperately needs rain..a lot of it too!
However, in several places where the water was slowly moving over a clean bottom, the sunlight showed a surprising number of several large shoals of sea trout of various sizes and if those were the ones I could see, it is not unreasonable to suppose that there are many others in the river also..?

I have never fished the Dart and am most unlikely to do so now, but even with only a week to go of the season, I believe that using suitable lighter tactics and smaller flies, fish are still there to be caught..

wm+

Last edited: