South Devon Rivers 2012

dazko

Alternatives:

- Fish higher up - West Dart is magical to fish after the rain.
- Revert to salmon fishing, likely that you'll run into a few peal via this avenue
- Try other rivers - when the Dart is out of sorts I go for the Walkham, Tavy, Plym or Yealm - all have good runs of peal and the water runs off and clears quicker. They are more demanding and will require you to be a blackbelt in casting both fly and spinner but the rewards are there.

Good luck.

ghammersley

River is coloured but clear this evening. If we don't get much rain in next 24 hours you should be ok. West Dart is hard if you don't know where you are going. Salmon fishing in daytime should be an alternative if you wish

tandem

Had the last week off . Interesting fishing . Started with a big spate , lost a salmon as it fell . As water fell further have been out and can report Sea Trout have finally made it in numbers into the West Dart . River's up and down so much can only suggest you match methods to the water to find when you arrive . Some fish are already colouring up and a little thin , suggest be discerning about what you kill .
Popped over the moor to the Tamar at suggestion of Otisthedog . Had a nice time fishing high water on the Lyd and Tamar during the day . Managed a nice Peal from the Lyd's bottom beat and 10.5 lb salmon from the Tamar . Caught on a single hander from the river in spate it was interesting . Try casting a two inch Waddington on a seven weight . I recommend a tin hat . Wouldn't have happened without the expertise of the Arundell Arms guides .
Been a good week .

tandem

Where did todays water come from ? I wasn't aware of a deluge last night . 'Spose we'll have to go Salmon fishing !

tandem

A friend of mine went fishing on Sunday night , river was huge after Saturdays rain . He had one sea trout and lost another . Just goes to show ....you never know .

pwm147

Hey, Just moved to the area from lancashire, wondered if anyone fancied a nights seatrouting tonight or tomorrow night on the dart? It would have to be on Church commisioners water as I am not a member! Please message me if you are interested. Thanks Peter

ghammersley

I spent an interesting day yesterday acting as controller for one of the entrants in the Final Qualifier for England Fly Fishing team. We walked up the West Dart from Swincombe to Dunnabridge (where he hooked but lost a decent sea trout on a tiny weighted nymph) and up the East Dart above Postbridge. It was interesting to learn his methods and see just how small the trout / parr are up there. There were 32 anglers who have been fishing the Dartmoor streams for several days each - probably several years worth of trout fishing in less than a week. It was particularly nice to be by the river without the responsibility of walking fast, fishing or taking responsibility for dogs. It is not often one gets the time to sit and watch and it was a lovely day!

billy fish

Caught my first decent sea trout of the season from the river Otter.With the river almost permanently coloured I tried with a j9 orange and gold rapala.The result was a fresh fish of about 6lb.I would sooner fish the fly but given the conditions, and where the fish was sat , spinning was the only option.
Colin.

luap

Update on the Teign
It is about time there was some news on the Teign.
It has, of course, been a completely different season compared to the last few. There is a vastly different volume of water coming down even on those rare occasions when it hasn’t rained for four or five days. However results are probably about the same as usual and I am also getting a bit more sleep this year. High water means that fishing in the day sometimes produces and also starting earlier at night seems to work out.
Last week it got better and although the fish were a bit smaller I had four. I had another fish Sunday and they seem to be taking better at night now even when the water still has a bit of colour.
There are salmon about and I hooked and lost one about ten pounds and also had a follow last week.
The fish haven’t shown much in the high water so it has been difficult to judge what is around. Plenty will have gone on beyond the top of our waters but I think there are plenty about and dryer weather should slow their upstream journey down. It does sound as if the weather is about to change and get dryer. That should mean good night fishing.
If it starts rainig every other day again I shall have to think about spending the rest of the season up on Dartmoor on the Dart!

silverflash

I spent an interesting day yesterday acting as controller for one of the entrants in the Final Qualifier for England Fly Fishing team. We walked up the West Dart from Swincombe to Dunnabridge (where he hooked but lost a decent sea trout on a tiny weighted nymph) and up the East Dart above Postbridge. It was interesting to learn his methods and see just how small the trout / parr are up there. There were 32 anglers who have been fishing the Dartmoor streams for several days each - probably several years worth of trout fishing in less than a week. It was particularly nice to be by the river without the responsibility of walking fast, fishing or taking responsibility for dogs. It is not often one gets the time to sit and watch and it was a lovely day!
How did your Entrant do?

I once did that job a few years back and found myself learning the tributaries of the tributaries!! (ditches mainly) but the Entrant knew his stuff and by targetting these minute brooks and he came in 3rd!!

The only other people we saw all day were moorland walkers; the other Entrants stayed on the main East and West Darts....

As you say - a lovely experience if you get paired with a decent chap.

Aled

I did something similar on the River Rhymni in the old Industrial valleys. I know the valley very well as my mother was born just up the road, i could not believe the number of gratling, trout and salmon parr that my entrant caught. I remember the stream running grey with coal wash! So it was a good experience.
My entrant came in the top 10 and qualified for the Welsh team, and now this next bit is for you Silverflash, who was my entrant??? Well if you remember Stephan Morgan who was at Seale-Hayne with us, well it was his Dad!!!
Tight Lines
Aled

silverflash

Interesting stats there - How does someone who is only catching one or two fish over the entire session manage to even get this far in the proceedings?? What did they do to qualify to get to this stage up on the Moor?

ghammersley

If I have it right they had all won a regional heat to get to this final qualifier. I am confused by the scoring but it has something to do with being split into four groups of eight. Each eight fished similar beats on the same stretches of river. Each angler was only competing against those in his section. Losing the section gets you 8 points. The day was split into 4 sessions. Blanking a session gets you 8 points. Less points is good. I am sure someone else can explain better