South Devon Rivers 2012

luap

We have had 14mm of rain in the last week and with spring tides, yesterday I thought it was time to have a few casts for the sea trout on the Teign before dark. No signs of any fish, though looking at my diary there were a few showing last year at this time. At least it looks now as if we have avoided a spring drought as bad as we had in 2010 & 2011.
It would be good to include Avon, Dart, Tavy etc posts in this thread rather than have separate threads. I think that was the majority, if not unanimous, vote last year.
Have a good season everyone.
Paul

luap

Yes but contributors have a choice now. I suggest that if the volume of postings is similar to last year this thread will be the better option.
Luap

tandem

Any news from the Dart ? Some fish must have come in lately . Not minded to fish until the weather settles down . All this water should allow some early runners to go all the way through .

luap

Have had plenty of brief sessions on the Teign which is only a couple of hundred yards from where I live. Until today I had seen no signs of a sea trout but today I drove up the valley and fished upstream of my home patch. I had a sea trout of 4-7 on a 1.5” black & chartreuse brass tube on a sink tip line. The brass tube was model makers tube which is thinner walled and lighter than purpose made fly tubes.
The river was in great condition for day fly fishing and I saw a few other fish.
That was my first April sea trout since 2009.
There are fairly reliable reports of other fish from the Teign so the season seems to have really started now. We have had about 4.5 inches of rain since Easter so there should be plenty of water through most of May, even if we get no more rain.

Last edited:

tandem

I asked a friend of mine of a Christian persuasion to have a word with the big man with regard to the current deluge , he came back with a piece of paper with these words on it.

For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth .

Seems a little harsh ......

shocker

Very Big Cornish Sea Trout - one of a kind
What have you Devonian louts been up to , to upset the Big Fella so badly ? "Think ye of the neighbours before ye sin" ....shocker,verse 13-23

tandem

I am expecting to catch one or two when this nonsense ends , a fish of four or five pounds was spotted climbing haytor the day before yesterday .

dazko

Plenty about apparently.

Friend has had 2 peal so far this year 6 & 6.5lb....thats not a bad average by anyones standards. Plenty of good sized salmon spotted too.

AR

Any news on the Axe yet? Off down there for a fish on Friday (weather permitting) so any recent reports gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Tony

tandem

Four off the Dart on Wednesday night , two returned . All spanking fresh . Scales everywhere . 4lber reminded me why I do this madness , down to the backing twice .
Heavyish water , 1.5 inch tube, fast int line . Temp 12c to 8c early hours .

tandem

Not on the Duchy , above Newbridge . Despite excellent water I haven't seen a fish above Dartmeet yet . Having said that , I'm sure they are there , I just can't catch them .

tandem

One or two more from the middle river . Reports patchy , looks like if you find a fish or two they will take but they are well spread out .
Teign friend reports a few fish of good size to his rod .

luap

The Teign is not fishing particularly well though a few fish are being caught. I get out frequently, though usually for less than a couple of hours. I have had three sea trout during the day including one caught spinning. Have also been broken on the take (bad knot?) and missed the odd good pull at night. However there are very few fish showing and I would hate to have to admit to the number of blanks I have had. I just don’t think that there has been that much of a run yet.
It often picks up about this time of the season. The river is in good condition, clear but there is still more water than normal.

tandem

Net Marked Fish

Net Marked Fish

Friend on the Dart reports several net marked fish . They have been reported to the EA hotline . We haven't suffered greatly from poaching in the last few years to my knowledge but I think we should all be vigilant .
I have fished the Teign as a guest several times over the years and have always been impressed by how many fish run the river . I know last year and , to date , this season have been less than wonderful . I just hope it's not due to poaching .
The EA man suspects if poaching is taking place it is most likely to be in the estuaries or headlands in the open sea .