Socks for Winter

haptonlad

Hey guys
I’m in the market for good quality pairs of socks for fishing for grayling in Winter.
I‘ve had a few different pairs over the years & I can’t say I’ve bought a pair that I can say I like or have kept my feed warm for any length of time.
IMO once your feet get old it’s game over…
I appreciate all recommendations in advance.
Thanks Paul.

Andy62

I bought some walking socks from Cotswold Outdoors and they have been excellent and hard wearing. I'll look at which make they were and get back to you (y)

Andy62

I'm fancying some of the SealSkinz although I found neoprene socks worked well in the past.

haptonlad

I can’t say I’ve had a good pair of socks yet that has kept the cold out in Winter.

Last year I were fishing with a pair of socks on & 2 pair of neoprene socks over the top plus a thermal all in one suit & the cold gets in after a few hours on a cold day.
maybe it’s me being a runner in my other hobby, having no fat on my bones….

In all fairness 4 hrs max is more than enough for me after grayling. Czech nymphping bores me after a bit, I know it works but it’s not my preferred way to fish, maybe because I’m not very good at it lol.

Andy62

One thing I found is that too many layers have a negative affect and restrict the blood flow to the feet. I'm a skinny bloke and always feel the cold but thermals and decent socks in boots with a bit of space worked better for me.

haptonlad

I’ve ordered 2 pair of the socks weatherman recommended, which have come today & a pair of sealskinz.
I was going to get the pair Andy recommended form Colsword but it cost nearly the same price as a pair socks for delivery charge, so I declined on them…
Sorry Andy, I appreciate your recommendation though👍
II’ve heard of Icebreaker before. I’ll see how I get on with these Ive ordered first & report back in the coming week chaps🥶

weatherman

I’ve ordered 2 pair of the socks weatherman recommended, which have come today & a pair of sealskinz.
I was going to get the pair Andy recommended form Colsword but it cost nearly the same price as a pair socks for delivery charge, so I declined on them…
Sorry Andy, I appreciate your recommendation though👍
II’ve heard of Icebreaker before. I’ll see how I get on with these Ive ordered first & report back in the coming week chaps🥶
What's the quality like? I thought about our armed services & assumed the gear they would wear would be top of the range so to speak.

haptonlad

What's the quality like? I thought about our armed services & assumed the gear they would wear would be top of the range so to speak.
If I’m honest they look a bit weary to me but that doesn’t mean there not up to the job.
I thought it was for one pair but I got 2 pairs.
I’ll give them a test this Winter & get back to you.
I’ve just come across a Black Friday offer on Facebook this morning for Sealskinz kit.
Typical I’ve just got a pair of socks from there at full price, Oh well lol.
I’ll see if I can download the link.

Last edited: