So how would you rate the 2014 sea trout season?

Alwyn

I thought that this subject might breathe some life into the forum as well as getting some interesting information on how everyone has done.

I believe I had maybe 7 sea trout outings this year. All except one was at Woodmill Pool and I finished the season by treating myself to a night at the Testwood fishery.

I've fished Woodmill for 6-7 seasons now and I would say that this season has been relatively disappointing. The quantity of fish was pretty good, but the average size was much lower than average for me and for those that I fish with. I caught only 3 fish that were 3lb+, the rest were schoolies. In previous seasons it was usually the case that most sea trout caught would be in the 3-5lb class, with a few biggies and a smaller number of schoolies. There were nights when lots of big fish showed at high tide but they did not take. At low tide, very few big fish were showing themselves. Is the prevalence of schoolies a Woodmill issue or more of a nationwide phenomenon? The three best fish I hooked at Woodmill were all lost, so I had some chances.

The night at Testwood a few weeks ago was very good for me. I caught a fair few fish including a couple of 3lbers and this cracker which took 20 minutes+ to bring in. It went on run after run and then just circled around deep. I was sure that I'd hooked a salmon but was delighted to land my best ever sea trout. I finished the season happy and wanting more. Let's hope the closed season passes quickly!

And this picture taken by Sewinfly - David Bailey can sleep soundly.

So how was your season?

liphook

My season was marred with a serious knee injury causing a distinct lack of fishing ! Roll on next season;) That fish is a belter btw

jj1

Very similar picture here on the south wales rivers for me too alwyn, a ,huge amount of small fish about, very few of the average sized fish 3lb to 7lb (until the last 4 weeks), but good numbers of large fish over 8lb, some absolute monsters where also seen (20lb+), but sadly wouldnt take anything!

sewinfly

Sorry about the pic Alwyn I was still shaking after I came off that pontoon lying down trying to net that fish in the dark of the night ;)

Strange season for me as I concentrated on my day rod on the Wye to no avail there were a lot of trips made and fish covered and not for the lack of trying. So left the Og sewin alone really with just a handful of schoolies off the river.

On the Usk managed 3 salmon and loss of one and again many trips and fish covered.

Fished with Alwyn at Woodmill twice and at Testwood.These were my only proper sewin outing's.
This resulted in about 20 fish with two 5 pounders being the biggest.

A very good fish was lost at Woodmill and the number of fish lost on the two trips there was quite a few as I was not hooking up with them that felt very frustrating:confused:
Testwood a good fish was contacted and off but there was not enough time there to fish all the way through till the morning and managed only a few schoolies.

Cant complain as on the whole salmon took up my time so back to the Og next season.

Sewinfly....................

Last edited:

weatherman

The 1st part of the season got off to a pretty decent start with fish being caught during early May. Then the lack of rainfall within the Neath catchment certainly slowed things right down with not many fresh fish entering the system. By the middle of June, a few small rises saw a great number of very small schoolies (7"-10") being caught but it was significantly noticeable that the medium (4-7lb) sized fish were absent. These fish seemed to enter towards the middle/end of August. September along with the belated rain, saw good numbers of sea trout still entering the system and providing sport right up to the season's close.

So if I was to "rate" the season it would be, for me, a 4 out of 10, simply due to the lack of rain.

Last edited:

T7

As above - lots of small fish one or two bigger ones.

What is the survival rate for sea trout after spawning? Will many of these small fish go to sea agin next year??

phl

As above - lots of small fish one or two bigger ones.

What is the survival rate for sea trout after spawning? Will many of these small fish go to sea agin next year??
I believe it's very high: if they avoid being eaten, most should spawn again. There are apparently records of seatrout spawning up to 8 or more times.

Paul

Andy R

I think I had 19 seatrout off the the Dovey in about 12 trips or so, not counting small ( less than a pound) sewin. I didn't get started until well into June which with reasonable water levels in may and June meant I missed out on the chance of a big fresh fish early season....when I did get going it swiftly stopped again as water levels in July dropped really low, lacking oxygen, I did manage a five and a half pounder before it got really difficult, but we need some water in June and July for the best night fishing ( a flood every 2 to 3 weeks is ideal).

August was a bit of a revelation for me, as usually I don't bother beyond the first couple of weeks, but this year due to lack of success earlier I kept going. Whilst the majority of fish were a bit stale, there was a sprinkling of fresh fish in amongst them, and the sport was fantastic, best night I hooked 11 and landed seven, if it hadn't been for diy and impending holiday in September meant I didn't fish right through. Only hooked one really big fish this year, but plenty were caught, a mate of mine had two doubles on his two weekly tickets. There was a 19lber caught and released by Dovey bridge in August, Andy Nicholson had a 16lber in early June.

This season I've learned that in drought conditions a small fly off a floater with minimal retrieve can work, no oxygen and warm temperatures lending weight to this tactic, secondly whereas June and July seatrout may only `come on` for a couple of hours a night, August seatrout seem pretty keen all night long.

Salmon have been a blank this year ( no water) and I hope my youngest this next year sleeps better to allow me out more often.

Itchen

I too have had a disappointing Season mainly at Woodmill also Alwyn. I too found that the stamp of fish were very small this year and that in general the high tide tactics that normally produce the bigger fish, haven't worked at all.

I strongly believe that the EA have been playing with the sluice gates too much and the flows have changed too regularly for the fish to get settled in the pool and take in their normal fashion.

The head of fish seems to have been pretty reasonable throughout my 6 visits although my tally was definitely down

Alwyn

I too have had a disappointing Season mainly at Woodmill also Alwyn. I too found that the stamp of fish were very small this year and that in general the high tide tactics that normally produce the bigger fish, haven't worked at all.

I strongly believe that the EA have been playing with the sluice gates too much and the flows have changed too regularly for the fish to get settled in the pool and take in their normal fashion.

The head of fish seems to have been pretty reasonable throughout my 6 visits although my tally was definitely down
I agree with the sluices comment. There has been no shortage of big fish showing when the tide is coming in but they're gone once the tide has ebbed. I suspect that a lot run straight through and it's no coincidence that Lower Itchen Fishery above has been enjoying very good catches.