Sneaky Tying tips & tricks

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

The secret of a really really shiny head. No I don't mean middle aged hair loss which all of a sudden appears to be creeping up on me with the pace of Usain Bolt. Apply a coat of varnish to your fly head when the head is only half wound. Continue wrapping and finish the head off and then apply varnish to finish the head. The difference is outstanding

T7

If you have issues with tubes spinning on the needle when stuck in the vice, usually this is because the metal tube is spinning around the plastic liner. When you buy a new set of tubes apply a blob of superglue between the liner and the metal on all of them, then when you come to tie on them they will be no spinning!

A piece of velcro glued to a lollystick makes for a fine old dubbing brush. If you want something less aggressive then an old toothbrush works very well too. Please note it does pay to use one that you no longer use for cleaning your teeth but hey it's a free country and if you want to use the same toothbrush for both jobs then crack right on is my personal philosophy 👌

T7

A piece of velcro glued to a lollystick makes for a fine old dubbing brush. If you want something less aggressive then an old toothbrush works very well too. Please note it does pay to use one that you no longer use for cleaning your teeth but hey it's a free country and if you want to use the same toothbrush for both jobs then crack right on is my personal philosophy 👌
Deserves an award that tip. Or maybe just a little plaque?

ian1104

1. Try not to sneeze when fly tying. It's no fun picking a whole bag of teal feathers and size 16 hooks off the floor (n)😫
2. Don't tie muddlers when your other half's around...... or if you do, go outside to trim them!
3. Standards DO drop after a beer or 3.
4. Always put the lid back on the varnish bottle..... I've lost count of the amount of time I've knocked it with my clumsy elbows!
5. Store everything in a sealable pouch/bag/wallet. Once the bugs get to your materials they are destructive.
6. Buy hooks from a reputable brand.

1. Try not to sneeze when fly tying. It's no fun picking a whole bag of teal feathers and size 16 hooks off the floor (n)😫
2. Don't tie muddlers when your other half's around...... or if you do, go outside to trim them!
3. Standards DO drop after a beer or 3.
4. Always put the lid back on the varnish bottle..... I've lost count of the amount of time I've knocked it with my clumsy elbows!
5. Store everything in a sealable pouch/bag/wallet. Once the bugs get to your materials they are destructive.
6. Buy hooks from a reputable brand.

What he said X 100,000 ;)

If you have little kids or dogs about, or just value your toes, something like this is a must:

If you arrive at your beat and some village idiot with an even more idiot spaniel off the lead chooses to run over your fly line while you are setting up let go of the fly and do not try to save the idiot's dog. The gas and air they gave me at A+E was however a most celestial experience. I highly recommend it but not on a school night