Smoker or vaper?

weatherman

How many are "ex smokers" here? I used to smoke fairly heavily up until 2013, heart condition forced a serious rethink & I switched to vaping which, as of yet, has shown signs of improvement. I started smoking at around 14 years of age, so that's about 44 years!

elwyman

Like you I gave up smoking in my mid 50s, over 10 years ago....I had high BP so I decided to pack in, save some money, and stop going outside for a smoke at work etc etc!
I had numerous failed attempts when younger, but with the help of patches, gum and a lot of willpower I surprised myself and finally packed in. My two sons were so amazed that they also gave up!
Let's face it, it's a mugs game and I'd recommend giving up smoking to everyone...you will feel tons better.

I haven't touched a cigarette since, but having a smoke and a coffee at dusk before sea trouting is the one I miss most.

elwyman

P.S. 20 B&H Gold were about £5.60 when I gave up....just checked they are £13.35 now.
So it would cost me almost £5000 a year if I still smoked.
That makes me feel even better.🤣

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

At the grand old age of 17 I bought 20 Berkeley Menthol because I thought they would make me look sophisticated. I gave 17 away, smoked 1 which made me sick and put 2 in bin. Later in life when out on a Saturday night, usually in Liverpool City Centre and very much worse for wear I would smoke a cigar. I would then wake up on Sunday morning feeling violently ill and coughing like I had my lungs filled with sea weed. A couple of years ago I was sat with a client and he had a vape thingy that was blowing out huge clouds of smoke like a traction engine. It smelled of blackcurrant and some other fruity stuff. He offered me a drag and I couldn't resist. It tasted absolutely fantastic and I could have taken up vape smoking right there on the spot but fortunately chose to swerve it ;)

phl

I started at 12, smoked cigarettes for 20 years, then switched to a pipe (supposedly healthier) for a couple of years before giving up completely 40 years ago. I don't miss it any more - but I did like the sense of relaxation given by sitting down at the riverside to smoke a pipe.

Paul