small dry fly produces fish despite flood conditions

paulgreenacre

Dry fly in November? Yes sir! Plenty of surface action at Rockbourne even in flood conditions.

Although I lost a couple of good sized trout on Spring Lake Rockbourne Fishery. Pine Lake produced a 4lb rainbow off the surface with a small dry fly.

here's the vid

http://youtu.be/v3gml9QKFa8

silverinvicta

Thank you Paul, I enjoyed watching that......
I no longer fish the reservoirs, not many pools over here, but they can produce to a surface fly early and late in the year (we have very mild winters).... A dry Daddy fished as a wake fly or just on a dead drift is a favourite for surface fishing. My preferred Daddy is a Ginger deer hair detached body with a cream badger hackle dyed ginger.. I only ever put 4 legs on it.....
Si....

Silkwood

..Enjoyed watching that Paul..almost as good as being there!
I see that you constantly keep the dry fly on the move;-on a river, the drag would almost guarantee NOT catching fish! Do you think that it is the movement which attracts them and that you have to move it to get some interest?
I very seldom fish stocked stillwaters, but wonder if you were to just cast a dry fly out and leave it, you would eventually get a rise, or whether an interested fish would take it anyway, whether it was moving or not. The water in the picture looked very calm and clear, the fish seemed to have no natural fear of the line, or anything else!

Did you put on something resembling a natural-or just a nondescript, fancy pattern?

Regards,

wm+

paulgreenacre

..Enjoyed watching that Paul..almost as good as being there!
I see that you constantly keep the dry fly on the move;-on a river, the drag would almost guarantee NOT catching fish! Do you think that it is the movement which attracts them and that you have to move it to get some interest?
I very seldom fish stocked stillwaters, but wonder if you were to just cast a dry fly out and leave it, you would eventually get a rise, or whether an interested fish would take it anyway, whether it was moving or not. The water in the picture looked very calm and clear, the fish seemed to have no natural fear of the line, or anything else!

Did you put on something resembling a natural-or just a nondescript, fancy pattern?

Regards,

wm+
Hi Watermole,

I vary my dry fly fishing, sometimes a small tweak will induce a take, often just a drift on the wind. The fly in the video was very natural looking. Although I have had them rise on nondescript.

Paul