S'mai, new to the forum and Sewin fishing

RhysMei

Hi, just joined the forum and looking to get some tips and also better understand sewin fishing.

Have been fly fishing for over 30 years but mainly reservoirs, mountain lakes and more recently some trout and grayling fishing on rivers. A friend persuaded me to try sewin fishing and have this season joined a club with access to a few stretches of the Tywi and Cothi. Hopefully with the worst of Covid-19 behind us and travel restrictions over I'm looking forward to getting out on the river.

Cheers,

Rhys

Last edited:
Reactions: T7

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

Hello Rhys and welcome. I have no experience of your particular rivers so can only offer you general advice. The first thing that I would suggest is that while obviously needing to be covering the fish when you cast your fly or flies it is equally important not to wade too far and too deep. You have your personal safety to consider when in water in the dark and the other consideration is that wading too deep you risk pushing the fish away from you. With 30 years fishing experience on ponds I would expect your casting to be to a decent standard. Fishing for trout and grayling in flowing water by day you should have some appreciation of the differences between fishing still and running water. By darkness of course although the territory is roughly the same your perception of it is completely different. Until you become more accustomed to fishing in darkness perhaps keep your casts relatively short as you really do not need to be covering massive distances although once again I do not know your rivers. It is customary to fish with a team of 2 flies but initially perhaps consider using just a single fly and then using 2 as you become more adept at casting in darkness. It can be quite easy and extremely frustrating to find a team of 2 flies constantly tangling around each other in darkness. Slow your casting down and disregard your loop size and shape. There are a lot of fly patterns on this Forum so spending a little while going through the posts might be of benefit to you. If you are able to speak to any other members of your own club they should be willing to offer you help on patterns that work well and any particular nuances for your your own pools. Set ups for sea trout fishing are generally a 10ft 7 or 8 weigh rod with a floating and perhaps intermediate line to suit. Such a set up will enable you to cast some fairly substantial flies and have enough muscle to handle some of the bigger fish that you may encounter. Once again though you may want to take local advice as I do not know your water or waters. I hope you take to sea trout fishing and get as much from it as most of us do. The advice I have offered really is just delivered in general terms. If you want to know any more then just shout out and I am sure someone here will respond to your request.

T7

Have a look at the old Towy river reports. We used to have numerous active members posting regularly from the towy. We also have Aled our resident Towy expert who hopefully can point you in the right direction.

phl

Welcome from me too, Rhys. Like you, I had many years fishing for trout and grayling, mainly, before getting into night-time fishing for seatrout, which is the best sport in the world. Night fishing is a bit of a challenge, but it's really worth going for it; not only will you have more success, but the thrill of a fish taking your fly in the dark is unbeatable. I've not much to add to the excellent advice from TBandLJS above - I'm really not any sort of expert - but I suggest you begin by walking the stretch you plan to fish in daylight first, to work out exactly how you are going to fish it. It's best if you can get into the water to wade - unless there's a clear gravel beach, fishing from the bank in darkness is scary, as you can't easily see where the bank ends and the river starts, or how deep it is. So, work out in advance exactly where you are going to get into the water, how far you can wade, and where you need to get out. Do this for all the pools you aim to fish, looking for landmarks that will mark the entry points in the dark. If the bank is high, the safest way to get into the water is to sit down and slide down until your feet reach the river bed.
Good luck! And let us know how you get on.

Paul

RhysMei

Diolch! Thank you all for the welcome and information, much appreciated!

Tightlines!!

Sethsamon

High Rhys I fish the tywi stick to what they call the baskets pool and the sheep rack pool for your first year and you won't go far wrong. They usually got plenty of fish in them pools and stick to black and silver flies with a red throat low water doubles and you should be fine tight lines

Sethsamon

These pools are on llandeilo water Rhys if you got permission on there they are the pools to fish tightlines

RhysMei

Thanks. I've joined Swansea Amateur Anglers Association to start with who have water on the Tywi at Llanwrda and also Ty Gwyn, Carmarthern. There's also a stretch of the Cothi.

SJF Simon

High Rhys I fish the tywi stick to what they call the baskets pool and the sheep rack pool for your first year and you won't go far wrong. They usually got plenty of fish in them pools and stick to black and silver flies with a red throat low water doubles and you should be fine tight lines
I've been in Llandeilo for years and I don't know where the "sheep rack" pool is, do you care to give me a hint?

Sethsamon

I've been in Llandeilo for years and I don't know where the "sheep rack" pool is, do you care to give me a hint?
It's a name one old guy told me they called it that because they use to dip the sheep there donkey's years ago 40 50 years ago don't know if it's true I was a member at the time on G.C.G water

Sethsamon

It's a name one old guy told me they called it that because they use to dip the sheep there donkey's years ago 40 50 years ago don't know if it's true I was a member at the time on G.C.G water
It's the one where you park out side of llandeilo and walk across 2 field's across the railway track there is a name for it but sheep rack pool has always stuck in my head since the old guy told me lol

SJF Simon

Whats "the name for it"? Pick a location on here.... club waters link
i tend to fish the pegs, the stone pool and cobners. Never had any luck at Baskets - I must be doing it wrong there....

Sethsamon

i tend to fish the pegs, the stone pool and cobners. Never had any luck at Baskets - I must be doing it wrong there....
Ma
manyrafon Simon ive always done well on there baskets is good but always loads of people fishing it

SJF Simon

Cheers, I've never tried Maryrafon - must give it a go one night. If you see a bloke with a ginger tash, 6'5" with a flat hat on - that'll be me!