Silver Stoat (ish) tube

ian1104

Playing around trying to get used to tying on tubes. This was the best of a bad bunch!!Screenshot_20200723-163732-01.jpeg

Hook: size 10 PMG Blob Hook (most suitable I had in the cupboard)
Tube: 1 inch stainless steel
Tag: Glo Brite 5
Body: silver holo flat tinsel
Rib: Silver Wire
Throat 'hackle': black fox squirrel
Under Wing: Yellow Bucktail and 4 strands of silver flash
Over wing: Black Fox Squirrel

Cheers
Ian

Last edited:

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

There's a bit more to them than there appears. You have however produced an excellent fly and I would also have extreme confidence in fishing with it. I do not wish to pull your pattern apart but just a minor point on the tag that you have tied. Stainless steel is quite a slippy material and when Glo Brite floss gets wet it tends to swell and can slip down the tube. When using it on hooks you have something to firmly anchor it to. On a tube you lose that luxury. It is always a good idea to seal it with either varnish or UV resin to stop your tube from unwinding when you are throwing it round in the dark. If you have already done this then tell me to mind my own business. If you haven't it might be a good idea to go back and do it. Please believe me I am not being critical for the sake of it. There really is thought nothing more disheartening than having a tube start to unwind itself after a couple of fish or a dozen casts. I know because I have had more tubes do it than might be considrered healthy do it when I first started tying on them. A fine looking pattern (y)

ian1104

There's a bit more to them than there appears. You have however produced an excellent fly and I would also have extreme confidence in fishing with it. I do not wish to pull your pattern apart but just a minor point on the tag that you have tied. Stainless steel is quite a slippy material and when Glo Brite floss gets wet it tends to swell and can slip down the tube. When using it on hooks you have something to firmly anchor it to. On a tube you lose that luxury. It is always a good idea to seal it with either varnish or UV resin to stop your tube from unwinding when you are throwing it round in the dark. If you have already done this then tell me to mind my own business. If you haven't it might be a good idea to go back and do it. Please believe me I am not being critical for the sake of it. There really is thought nothing more disheartening than having a tube start to unwind itself after a couple of fish or a dozen casts. I know because I have had more tubes do it than might be considrered healthy do it when I first started tying on them. A fine looking pattern (y)
Hi TBLJS,
Thanks for the comments, I appreciate any feedback/advice!

I did give it a quick coat of clear Sally Hansen's... but it doesn't look that way in the photo.... I will go back and give it an etra layer, just to be sure.

All the best
Ian

Hi TBLJS,
Thanks for the comments, I appreciate any feedback/advice!

I did give it a quick coat of clear Sally Hansen's... but it doesn't look that way in the photo.... I will go back and give it an etra layer, just to be sure.

All the best
Ian

Sally Hansen Hard as Nails is very good but takes ages to dry. If you pick up a Loon Outdoors UV resin (I prefer the thin one) and a UV torch the stuff is dry in under 10 seconds. Specific UV torches supplied by fly dressing companies are stupidly expensive. You can use one of these from Ebay for under a fiver.

ian1104

Sally Hansen Hard as Nails is very good but takes ages to dry. If you pick up a Loon Outdoors UV resin (I prefer the thin one) and a UV torch the stuff is dry in under 10 seconds. Specific UV torches supplied by fly dressing companies are stupidly expensive. You can use one of these from Ebay for under a fiver.

I'll make the small investment and get some...... out of interest, do you also cover your flat tinsel bodies with it?

Ian

Rather than coat the tinsel bodies I will run a very thin seam of Loctite gel (the thick stuff) onto the tube and spread it round with a dubbing needle. I will then wrap the tinsel over it before finishing off with wire ribbing. With tubes of 10mm long or less I don't usually bother as they tend to hold out ok. With anything longer than 10mm I usually find that it pays. The glue is £4.00 a bottle in B+Q. The gel woks better than the liquid as the liquid is too thin and runs all over the place ;)