Severn

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom Rigby

Any chance of some details like:

single or double hander?

Fly line type?

It really is an achievement to winkle one out on the fly from the Teme. For people who don't know the Teme is a small heavily overgrown river with steep banks that isn't exactly what most people have in mind when they think of salmon fly fishing. In the past I've managed a few on the big fly at night sea trout style, from a couple of the more open pools, but never had one in the day on low water. Brilliant:)

ACW

Just heard some very encouraging news.

Stephen Marsh Smith of the Wye and Usk foundation has just (this morning)brokered a deal to ensure that the main putcher ranks do not fish this season.

The operation at Lydney had a declared catch of over 800 last season. The buy out deal is for one year pending bylaws from the EA in 2011. The cost is £35,000. The WUF are asking for financial support from Severn salmon anglers and clubs to help fund this initiative. We should all do what we can to provide it.
Great news for the Severn and of course the Wye,does this mean its finished for the near future or will the putchers return.

russ1610

Way to go Craig, that's the way to do it, go chub fishing every day mate, if you end up catching Salmon. Have to remember to do that up here, still not a sign of migratory fish up here, so if i fish for chub i might catch one.:D Well done.

drifterman

Very well done stump, fantastic on the fly and looks like a nice fresh fish aswell.
Tom that is good news i think the putchers would have slaughtered them this year with the low water we have at present and no sign of any to come.

T

Tom Rigby

Great news for the Severn and of course the Wye,does this mean its finished for the near future or will the putchers return.
My understanding is that this is a one year deal, but the EA will use their powers under the marine bill next season to keep them closed. After that? Well I presume it all turns on the Wye and Severn returning to abundance.

SALAR

Tom,my spey casting is mediocre and i dont fly fish as mich as i like so i don't practise as much as i should,,,i find that when i wade etc i start to struggle more with the D loop and to be honest i'm cacky handed anyway,but the other week i had a go with a shooting head and was shown the 'snap t' from the right bank looking down stream and i thought it was the easiest cast i've ever tried and it went out like a dream also the shooting head seemed better with the double spey from the other bank once i was in the water,,,

my 15ft'er is to much on the Teme,so i've bought a cheap 13ft'er (shakey 'odyssey' £48)to practise with the shooting head, not the best but if i break it practicing then it aint hurt much,,,might chop 6"-8" off it to make it slightly better thou>>>also bought myself a Rio floating shooting head and cut some 10ft michael evans tips down slightly that work well with it:),,,

Like you say Tom,steep banks,well overgrown but using the snap t gets over this problem and can cast a long line from tight to the bank down and across so the fly is fishing from the off(just the same as a Devon on there)..
this season we've done some serious bank clearing to make it more accessible and a bit more work will be done next january to get a few more bits right,then we should be able to keep it right all the time,,,

like you say,its not that wide but there are one or two places on that stretch that are slightly wider,but there is one ford on that stretch that is a barrier in my opion even thou its deep enough for fish to pass through but the pool thats just below it is just too good to leave in low water and there's a big long tail that they used to rest in(where i had the fish from)i believe that because the river is so underfished and left alone that fish will drop all the way from the head and back through the deep belly of the pool to the tail and stay there undistrubed,,,

so tactics were a 13ft double hander,coupled with a floating shooting head with a int tip and a size 12 cascade..

stump...

Last edited:
T

Tom Rigby

Hi Stump,

Thanks for the detail. Shooting heads on a shorter rod is all you need for the Severn too;). 8/9s and 9/10s make significantly less disturbance than 10/11s. Sounds like the same area I had some after dusk from a few years back. Those 13ft shakeys do the business. Not enough backbone for heavy sunk line work but fine for summer fishing and the risk of busting an expensive rod (with a light thin walled blank) when casting under the trees is something well worth thinking about, as i've found out to my cost on more than one occasion. :eek:

Really delighted for you and I'm sure you'll have a few more out on the fly from the teme in the not too distant future.

Shooting heads and shorter rods really are perfectly suited to the Severn and Teme. The first person I ever saw using a shooting head on the Severn was Mark the Fish and like you it took me all of 30 seconds to become a convert!

It's funny really, but it was only a few months ago that I was talking on the bank with Dave Hughes about fishing the double hander and he was saying that the full spey line was the way to go. Look at him now:eek::eek::eek:

The snap T is the cast i use with heavy sinking lines in early spring, but the one possible draw back with it, thouigh it clearly wasn't a problem for you on the day, is that it might spook fish on glassy water.

There are some alternatives developed specifically for shooting head work that generate higher line speeds, more distance and less disturbance as they only use a kiss and go anchor, rather than a waterborne one.

Here are some clips. If you fancy practising them too. Just don't catch all the salmon:);)

http://www.granbo-flyfishing.no/_english-edition/snakeroll.html

http://www.granbo-flyfishing.no/_english-edition/snakeroll-serie.html

http://www.granbo-flyfishing.no/_english-edition/snakeroll-serie-2.html

http://www.granbo-flyfishing.no/_english-edition/snakeroll-serie-3.html

Last edited:

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member

Stephen Marsh Smith of the Wye and Usk foundation has just (this morning)brokered a deal to ensure that the main putcher ranks do not fish this season.

The operation at Lydney had a declared catch of over 800 last season. The buy out deal is for one year pending bylaws from the EA in 2011. The cost is £35,000. The WUF are asking for financial support from Severn salmon anglers and clubs to help fund this initiative. We should all do what we can to provide it.
Tom, i have left a message for the PAAS, hope to hear back tomorrow.

Care needs to be taken as to the legality of such buy-outs and people need to consider what happened on the Towy before dishing out £35k.

Having said that its a step in the right direction.

Hoppy

J

jasonrnewton

Tom great clips,,have you been giving that granbo fellow a few lessons ;)

T

Tom Rigby

Heard of a 15lber from the lower river on sunday and the 'otter' had another early this morning.

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member

Tom,

If there is the likelihood is that the nets will be banned in 2011 by the EA, why pay £35?

I think that before people look at paying or donating to the fund (and because forum members may have been bitten by the Towy buyout) this would be worth answering.

Hoppy

SALAR

Tom wrote,,,Heard of a 15lber from the lower river on sunday and the 'otter' had another early this morning...

Its all in the baits:D!!!!!!!!

stump...

T

Tom Rigby

Hi Hoppy,

I appreciate your concerns.

The WUF are producing an appeal and a background briefing on this I'll circulate when it is available.

The short answer is that it works out cheaper than a hatchery.

This year we could expect the nets to have an even bigger catch than they managed last year as the low river levels suggest that there will be a lot of fish out on the estuary.

Status
Not open for further replies.