Sea Trout Tube Flies (Night)

x-rap

Just looked on the Ali Express Website and cannot find stainless steel tubes that are lined. Do you line them yourself or am I really as stupid as I look and am looking in the wrong section?
Had a look on Ali Express and couldn't find them either, it's a couple of years since I last purchased some. They supplied the tubes and the liner but you had to cut the liner to size and fit it yourself. The Grays tubes are supplied with the liners fitted.

spyderweb

Does anyone extend the dressing beyond the treble, or double hook? I have had success with Salmon using tubes with dressing beyond the treble, however, the Sea Trout tend just to nip the end of the dressing and not get hold properly!
I know there are some excellent fly dressers on this forum, so I would appreciate your opinion.
Can anyone suggest the ideal length of dressing in relation to tube length.
Thanks in anticipation.
I have used long wings on my single hooks, tubes, and articulated flies that extend way past the hook. Typically a 3" long fly would have the barbless single hook located approximately 1/2 to 2/3 away from the front end. The wing is made of craft fur which stays near to the tube or shank. I find that most sea trout take the fly from the side, and as such, I am not concerned with having the hook at the very end.

spyderweb

Had a look on Ali Express and couldn't find them either, it's a couple of years since I last purchased some. They supplied the tubes and the liner but you had to cut the liner to size and fit it yourself. The Grays tubes are supplied with the liners fitted.
I use unlined jewellery spacers, never lost a fish with them due to the spacers cutting the leader. Good quality spacers have smooth edges.

spyderweb

Personally I've given up on tubes now and have gone to long shank streamer hooks from size 4 to size 6 , I use a cone head on the flies for faster deeper water and just standard for shallower slower water , the wing only goes as far back as the tail of the fly , like golden pheasant, if I don't add a til then the win only goes as far as the bend of hook, when the schoolies are about if the wing is to long you will get pulls all night and only few hook ups
I have lost many sea trout using long-shank hooks due to the leverage that I now use either tubes or articulated flies.

spyderweb

HF have you tried tying directly on plastic tube liners? You need to find the stiff kind as some is not suitable but you can get a nice slim body on them. I could see that working well with a small cone at the front to balance the hook and give a bit of weight. Worth experimenting maybe
The thin red plastic tubes that come with WD40 are ideal. you can buy them in bulk. The ends can be fluted with the cooler part of a lighter flame but be careful not to close the ends because the tubes are already nice and narrow. I usually add a little weight to the front end so that they ride on an even keel.

Last edited:

elwyman

The thin red plastic tubes that come with WD40 are ideal. you can buy them in bulk.
I've heard of people tying on plastic drinks staws and the plastic tube on cotton buds...having said that our Aldi cotton buds have a paper tube.

Lawrence85

Used old Johnson and Johnson cotton buds for tubes years ago they were plastic and rounded nicely when you melted the ends with a lighter.
Sure I've actually blew ink out of biro's and used them in the past. Things have come along way now with the internet...... They've took all the enjoyment out of rummaging round the house for things to tie flys with??

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

Eumer do packs of 10 plastic tubes for about thirty bob. Available in most colours and Veniards now distribute for them. As Veniards are in pretty much every retailers on the planet it makes them dead easy to get hold of. They come in large, medium, small and extra small and fit inside each other if you wish to construct a composite tube. They can however be used alone and work equally well ?

Andy62

I have used long wings on my single hooks, tubes, and articulated flies that extend way past the hook. Typically a 3" long fly would have the barbless single hook located approximately 1/2 to 2/3 away from the front end. The wing is made of craft fur which stays near to the tube or shank. I find that most sea trout take the fly from the side, and as such, I am not concerned with having the hook at the very end.
I have been tying some 1" tubes with a long wing and using doubles, the brown trout like them and the only sea trout I've hooked (and lost) on the Welsh Dee took the same tube.

weatherman

Very kind WM but I still have plenty. Stocked up on several boxes a couple of years ago ?
Wasn't only aimed at yourself T7, anyone that wants a few, just let me know. As yourself, I've acquired a few over the years & have been reluctant to dispose of them....you never know. (or maybe I'm a hoarder!).

Last edited:

sewinwrestler

I have been tying some 1" tubes with a long wing and using doubles, the brown trout like them and the only sea trout I've hooked (and lost) on the Welsh Dee took the same tube.
You can extend the length of the tube with a long section of silicon or plastic tubing to house the hook in any position. This is what I like about tubes, they are versatile. I don't use cotton buds for the main body because they are too fragile. As with most lightweight tubes, some weight can be added to the front end to balance them for swimming on an even keel. The alternative is to use a brass bead free to move on the strong thick leader which slides onto the front edge of the tube when it is swimming.

Reactions: T7