Sea Trout Tube Flies (Night)

hollyfish

Does anyone extend the dressing beyond the treble, or double hook? I have had success with Salmon using tubes with dressing beyond the treble, however, the Sea Trout tend just to nip the end of the dressing and not get hold properly!
I know there are some excellent fly dressers on this forum, so I would appreciate your opinion.
Can anyone suggest the ideal length of dressing in relation to tube length.
Thanks in anticipation.

sewinfly

Pity no replies the forum use to be active.

With regards to dressing I suppose it's all down to personal preference.
Some of mine are beyond the hook abit and others maybe mor or else level.

Some guys might tie a fuller body to the the fly and not extend beyond the hook.
If tail nipping is a problem where you fish then there's always a stinger to be tied into the fly.
With snakes I like to have a few of the tinsel fibres slightly past the bend of the hook.

Sewinfly. ..........

dj33

Personally I've given up on tubes now and have gone to long shank streamer hooks from size 4 to size 6 , I use a cone head on the flies for faster deeper water and just standard for shallower slower water , the wing only goes as far back as the tail of the fly , like golden pheasant, if I don't add a til then the win only goes as far as the bend of hook, when the schoolies are about if the wing is to long you will get pulls all night and only few hook ups

hollyfish

Pity no replies the forum use to be active.

With regards to dressing I suppose it's all down to personal preference.
Some of mine are beyond the hook abit and others maybe mor or else level.

Some guys might tie a fuller body to the the fly and not extend beyond the hook.
If tail nipping is a problem where you fish then there's always a stinger to be tied into the fly.
With snakes I like to have a few of the tinsel fibres slightly past the bend of the hook.

Sewinfly. ..........
Cheers sewinfly, I was just trying to generate interest, during the close season.

I have done better with single hooks for night sea trout, using a dropper fly, however, I'm hoping to fish with just one fly in the future!

Although I've had little success with a tube fly, I never felt the confidence, as when I used a single fly.

Cheers sewinfly.

hollyfish

Personally I've given up on tubes now and have gone to long shank streamer hooks from size 4 to size 6 , I use a cone head on the flies for faster deeper water and just standard for shallower slower water , the wing only goes as far back as the tail of the fly , like golden pheasant, if I don't add a til then the win only goes as far as the bend of hook, when the schoolies are about if the wing is to long you will get pulls all night and only few hook ups
Cheers dj33, I have had good success using streamer hooks, however, I've always used a dropper fly.
I am going to use a single fly cast next season and therefore prefer a tube fly.

haptonlad

I haven't been on the forum for a while, because when I've logged on your lucky if there's any activity at all on here, a real shame really.
I very rarely use tube flies myself, but the tube flies that I do are use usually touching the hooks or slightly shorter.
I wish that I could fish a river where there is plenty of sea trout holding in the pools to be able to experiment with different fly patterns.

hollyfish

I haven't been on the forum for a while, because when I've logged on your lucky if there's any activity at all on here, a real shame really.
I very rarely use tube flies myself, but the tube flies that I do are use usually touching the hooks or slightly shorter.
I wish that I could fish a river where there is plenty of sea trout holding in the pools to be able to experiment with different fly patterns.
Hi haptonlad, thanks for the reply, join Kirkby Lonsdale, River Lune, if you apply before mid - January 2020, I'm quite sure you would get in.
I know a few members who do quite well with Sea Trout!

haptonlad

Hi haptonlad, thanks for the reply, join Kirkby Lonsdale, River Lune, if you apply before mid - January 2020, I'm quite sure you would get in.
I know a few members who do quite well with Sea Trout!
My mate keeps going on at me to join Kirby Lonsdale A A
He fished it for years & did well up there.
Do you know how much it is plus joining on fee ? PM if you want pal.

hollyfish

My mate keeps going on at me to join Kirby Lonsdale A A
He fished it for years & did well up there.
Do you know how much it is plus joining on fee ? PM if you want pal.
Hi haptonlad, £365 inclusive of joining fee.
Me and a chap from Langholm have joined for 2020, hope to see you there?

Alwyn

On the original question about tubes, I tie mine so that the wing and other dressings are pretty much in line with the hook. For most doubles, I tie beyond the hook only because to my eye, it just looks right and a dressing that ends with the hook just looks a bit stubby to me. Not a great reason I know but the best flies to fish for sea trout are the ones that give you confidence in my view.

hollyfish

On the original question about tubes, I tie mine so that the wing and other dressings are pretty much in line with the hook. For most doubles, I tie beyond the hook only because to my eye, it just looks right and a dressing that ends with the hook just looks a bit stubby to me. Not a great reason I know but the best flies to fish for sea trout are the ones that give you confidence in my view.
Cheers Alwyn, very much appreciated.
I have had success with Sea Trout, with most flies, however, flies dressed on size 6 singles, 01 Wilson Hooks, have been my best flies.

spyderweb

Does anyone extend the dressing beyond the treble, or double hook? I have had success with Salmon using tubes with dressing beyond the treble, however, the Sea Trout tend just to nip the end of the dressing and not get hold properly!
I know there are some excellent fly dressers on this forum, so I would appreciate your opinion.
Can anyone suggest the ideal length of dressing in relation to tube length.
Thanks in anticipation.
I make tube flies with long mobile wings up to 4" long, but mostly 2-3". The barbless single hook is placed near to the centre of the dressing. I have found that on the river I fish, the vast majority of sea trout come across the current to take the fly turning downstream. The straight eyed hook is left free at the end of the tube and is attached with the line travelling up through the eye and fixed around the shank.

T7

I’ve been experimenting with cone heads on Large singles over the winter so will give them a try this season. Definitely get a good movement and obviously weight to get the flies down a bit. Also will try some monkey style flies this season, if you start getting nips and pluck then change to a shorter dressed fly or stinger I guess

hollyfish

I’ve been experimenting with cone heads on Large singles over the winter so will give them a try this season. Definitely get a good movement and obviously weight to get the flies down a bit. Also will try some monkey style flies this season, if you start getting nips and pluck then change to a shorter dressed fly or stinger I guess
Hi T7, have you tried coneheads on plastic tubes for night sea trout?
I know a few people who have done well with these!
I normally prefer needle tubes and snake flies, however, I'm going to have a cast or two this season, using a conehead dressed on a plastic tube.
Have any of our members used the conehead dressed on a plastic tube for sea trout?

Reactions: T7

T7

No, but I can imagine they get a good bit of movement. At the least probably would balance the tube so it doesn’t swim tail down, which would be a plus I think

haptonlad

I can see this working like T7 states, it should balance the tube out.
I think it would be good if you could weigh the hook & the cone & get the same weight, so that tube fly fishes in a straight rather than dipping at the back end.
Sometimes you wonder whether these tail nippers are sea trout or small fish attacking the flies...

Reactions: T7

hollyfish

I can see this working like T7 states, it should balance the tube out.
I think it would be good if you could weigh the hook & the cone & get the same weight, so that tube fly fishes in a straight rather than dipping at the back end.
Sometimes you wonder whether these tail nippers are sea trout or small fish attacking the flies...
Cheers haptonlad, however, I would be more confident with the needle tube and confidence as you know, is very important!

T7

HF have you tried tying directly on plastic tube liners? You need to find the stiff kind as some is not suitable but you can get a nice slim body on them. I could see that working well with a small cone at the front to balance the hook and give a bit of weight. Worth experimenting maybe