Sea Trout Tube Flies (Night)

hollyfish

Does anyone extend the dressing beyond the treble, or double hook? I have had success with Salmon using tubes with dressing beyond the treble, however, the Sea Trout tend just to nip the end of the dressing and not get hold properly!
I know there are some excellent fly dressers on this forum, so I would appreciate your opinion.
Can anyone suggest the ideal length of dressing in relation to tube length.
Thanks in anticipation.

sewinfly

Pity no replies the forum use to be active.

With regards to dressing I suppose it's all down to personal preference.
Some of mine are beyond the hook abit and others maybe mor or else level.

Some guys might tie a fuller body to the the fly and not extend beyond the hook.
If tail nipping is a problem where you fish then there's always a stinger to be tied into the fly.
With snakes I like to have a few of the tinsel fibres slightly past the bend of the hook.

Sewinfly. ..........

dj33

Personally I've given up on tubes now and have gone to long shank streamer hooks from size 4 to size 6 , I use a cone head on the flies for faster deeper water and just standard for shallower slower water , the wing only goes as far back as the tail of the fly , like golden pheasant, if I don't add a til then the win only goes as far as the bend of hook, when the schoolies are about if the wing is to long you will get pulls all night and only few hook ups

hollyfish

Pity no replies the forum use to be active.

With regards to dressing I suppose it's all down to personal preference.
Some of mine are beyond the hook abit and others maybe mor or else level.

Some guys might tie a fuller body to the the fly and not extend beyond the hook.
If tail nipping is a problem where you fish then there's always a stinger to be tied into the fly.
With snakes I like to have a few of the tinsel fibres slightly past the bend of the hook.

Sewinfly. ..........
Cheers sewinfly, I was just trying to generate interest, during the close season.

I have done better with single hooks for night sea trout, using a dropper fly, however, I'm hoping to fish with just one fly in the future!

Although I've had little success with a tube fly, I never felt the confidence, as when I used a single fly.

Cheers sewinfly.

hollyfish

Personally I've given up on tubes now and have gone to long shank streamer hooks from size 4 to size 6 , I use a cone head on the flies for faster deeper water and just standard for shallower slower water , the wing only goes as far back as the tail of the fly , like golden pheasant, if I don't add a til then the win only goes as far as the bend of hook, when the schoolies are about if the wing is to long you will get pulls all night and only few hook ups
Cheers dj33, I have had good success using streamer hooks, however, I've always used a dropper fly.
I am going to use a single fly cast next season and therefore prefer a tube fly.

haptonlad

I haven't been on the forum for a while, because when I've logged on your lucky if there's any activity at all on here, a real shame really.
I very rarely use tube flies myself, but the tube flies that I do are use usually touching the hooks or slightly shorter.
I wish that I could fish a river where there is plenty of sea trout holding in the pools to be able to experiment with different fly patterns.