Rubbish weather

elwyman

So the first part of the season was spoiled by drought, and currently strong winds and light misty rain are spoiling the final few weeks of night fishing. Last couple of outings over the weekend were blighted by the cold winds, the river was quiet, even the brownies had their heads down.
Where's that heatwave they were promising.😂

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

My heart bleeds profusely for both of you poor little lambs. I cannot fish as I have a factory to run. That is of course if the results of the PCR Test I took this morning come back negative as I have doosey of a headache and a sore throat from hell. Fishing anywhere right now makes me salivate with pure unadulterated envy :(

T7

My heart bleeds profusely for both of you poor little lambs. I cannot fish as I have a factory to run. That is of course if the results of the PCR Test I took this morning come back negative as I have doosey of a headache and a sore throat from hell. Fishing anywhere right now makes me salivate with pure unadulterated envy :(
I’ll send you the pictures 😉

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

NHS emailed me at 01.06 this morning telling me that my PCR Test had come back negative which is of course a great relief. Still feeling a bit crappy but some water and some fish should elevate my perkiness.

Alas just checked the EA Gauge at Caton and the river continues to be choked on the bare bones of it's arse 😒

Andy62

It has not been the best year! Good news on the test result and there has been a virus about for a few weeks (not covid) I'm out on Saturday night with my brother, Dee probably. We had hoped to be on the Lune but you all know that story. Good luck at Brenig and on the Dovey.

tote

No been a great season for sure, one I was looking forward to but been disappointing mainly due to the weather.
Missed over a month of it from early July until the second week in August, the river was just unfishable for me.
We have had three small lifts of just over a foot since but it hasn't been enough to clean the riverbed or encourage fish
to move it would seem.

Re the covid test, my mother has to go in to hospital on Friday for a small procedure to be done so she was told to
go down to hospital on Tuesday to get a Covid test and to self isolate from then on. She was told they were also
sending her out medication that she had to take on Thursday to clean her out, that would arrive on Wednesday. Now, the
meds didn't arrive so she phoned and the bloke said they'd been posted out but as they hadn't arrived she would have
to come down to the hospital and pick them up, my mother told him she was waiting for the result of her Covid test and
had to self isolate until she goes for the procedure, he still told her she would have to go and get the meds.:oops:

Now, as it turned out her test result was inconclusive, [how does that happen]? She was then told she has to go back tomorrow for another test, the same day she has to take the meds to clean her out, that's going to be fun, not.

Makes you wonder about all these tests that are done in car parks etc and also the test kits the school kids, teachers etc are given to test themselves at home. How accurate are they when they cannot get a definitive result from a nurse doing the test at a hospital?

elwyman

Tough but enjoyable day at Brenig today. Caught a fish on dry fly on my second cast, but that was a false dawn. It went quiet so we moved.....to an even quieter spot! Even though the wind direction wasn't great, we then decided to move to our favoured east ( Nant Glyn) side. Glyn picked up a fish at our first stop off....then it went quiet! We moved down to Hafod Lom and we both managed to pick up a couple of fish each, best around 3.5lb and they were great fighters. Got mine on Diawl Bach and a small Kate Maclaren on the dropper. The fish weren't there in numbers but they were prepared to come up for flies on or near the surface.
I've enjoyed Brenig this year, now waiting for some water to get the double hander out on the Dee and Conwy for the final 2 months of the season.

elwyman

Thanks for the report - brings back memories. I haven't fished Brenig for many years; like you, I prefered the Nant Glyn side.

Paul
You probably wouldn't recognise it Paul. The Hafod Lom section, between the quarry and the Nant Glyn bank, used to have conifers all the way down to the waters edge. It was popular with boat anglers but barely fishable from the bank. The trees were felled a few years ago, which opened up the whole length for bank fishing.

Reactions: phl

emerald isle

Torrential rain for the last few hours here in Northern Ireland. Good to see, should be good in a few days.

Andy62

The outlook is still dry, I'm thinking most sea trout on the Dee have entered the system as the levels were maintained with compensation water, the salmon will still be waiting. The Lune is a different story, if we get a decent lift in the river I'll be there. I'm sure others will say the same but I have missed fishing the Lune this season. Although it was my first season on the Welsh Dee I'll approach it differently next year and fish more during the summer months and not wait for spates. I'll be down at Dongray and Shocklach earlier in the year as well.