Rod for welsh dee

IanThomas

Hello everyone

I'm sure this question has been asked many times however I've tried to use the search function without much success 🤣

I was just wondering if anyone who does/has fished the welsh dee for sea trout could let me know what rod they use to give me a good idea so as I can have a browse around? In particular length/ rating... im trying to get prepared for next season so any help would be most appreciated.

I've had a season on brown trout on a tributary of the dee but hopefully all going well in 2021 my plan is to fish the dee for sea trout.

Kindest regards
Ian

elwyman

Hi, my own preference would be for a 10' or 9' 6" #7 weight rod, but a #6 weight would be fine if you only fish smaller flies. Some excellent advice on the this web site:

IanThomas

Hi, my own preference would be for a 10' or 9' 6" #7 weight rod, but a #6 weight would be fine if you only fish smaller flies. Some excellent advice on the this web site:

Thank you elwyman , I'll have a look around for a 10ft #7 , I may email foxons see if they can recommend anything or if they have anything ex display etc 🙂

Thanks for the link to the blog, seems there is a lot of good information on there 🙂

IanThomas

I agree with elwyman.
BTW, which tributary have you been fishing? I used to fish the Alyn and Ceiriog when I lived in the area.

Paul
Hi Paul

I have been fishing the Alyn around gresford, its only 10 minutes from my home... its my first year fly fishing but have really enjoyed it down there and have learned alot.

Ian 🙂

phl

I know that stretch of the Alyn very well: I fished it regularly for more than 30 years, and was secretary or chairman of Rossett and Gresford FFC for much of that time. I'm glad you're enjoying it: the Alyn isn't the easiest fishing, so what you've learned will serve you well elsewhere.

Paul

IanThomas

Hi Paul

Thats the club I have joined RGFFC 🙂 a couple of members have helped me out quite a bit im sure you will know them.

I found it difficult at first , casting was tricky in some parts but have improved (slightly) over the season (and loss less flies 🤣) like you say I'm sure it will stand me in good stead for any other rivers I fish in the future.

I've joined warrington anglers aswell that have a bit of the Alyn further up solely so I can have a go targeting the grayling

Ian

I know that stretch of the Alyn very well: I fished it regularly for more than 30 years, and was secretary or chairman of Rossett and Gresford FFC for much of that time. I'm glad you're enjoying it: the Alyn isn't the easiest fishing, so what you've learned will serve you well elsewhere.

Paul

Paul

Reactions: phl