River Wye 2016

sewinfly

Well, after several trips on the Wye and Usk this morning went well.
Fishing a floating line with about 12 ft leader and a Silver Shrimp fly after a few casts the hen fish took and what a fight it was .

Did not want to come into the shallows, stayed mid river in the current for what seemed a long time but eventually landed and returned.

Problems rotating pics :confused: will try to fix.

Then another :rolleyes: a cock fish that soon as the fly hit landed the water literally exploded and took off down river with all my line down to the backing.

Well time went by and the line drew taught and another one on I thought but alas Mr Chub fancied a 10 mm Willie Gunn.

Along with 2 brownies that was it ;)

Sewinfly.........

Andy R

A salmon, brownies and a chub, well done, it's a bit like a Hereford marches mcnab, perhaps a McWye?

sewinfly

Well tried out the new NRX Green 14ft today and tied up 3 flies for this morning.

Had two great fish that took Mason's shrimp pattern on a floater with about 12 ft of leader .

First fish was a quite clean hen 11 pounds then followed by a cock fish with more colour at just over 13 pounds.

New rod and new flies what a day.

The bigger of the two fish caught to day.

Masons Shrimp

Sewinfly........

Last edited:

Andy R

Well done that man, two salmon in a day is a cause to celebrate significantly anywhere in the UK, especially so on the Wye, may the improvement continue!

Andy

haptonlad

Well done sewinfly;)
I had my first of the season last week on the Ribble on a black shrimp fly similar to yours.
Has your fly got 4 jungle cock eyes or have I got double vision:)

sewinfly

Well done sewinfly;)
I had my first of the season last week on the Ribble on a black shrimp fly similar to yours.
Has your fly got 4 jungle cock eyes or have I got double vision:)
Well done on the salmon and no not 4 jc's just my well used cheap jc, looks good though ;)

Sewinfly...........

Well done Spencer, nice days fishing.
Thats a nice simple fly, I used to do well at Bigswier with a very similar fly only in purple. What hook do you tie them on?

sewinfly

Well done Spencer, nice days fishing.
Thats a nice simple fly, I used to do well at Bigswier with a very similar fly only in purple. What hook do you tie them on?
Partridge Patriot hooks quite a heavy size 6 that looks like an 8 in size.
Great hooks to use that gets down a couple of inches when using a long leader and a floating line.

I use to fish Upper Bigsweir which is a lovely stretch and my favourite fly there was a Silver Shrimp.

Sewinfly...........

sewinfly

Well probably had my last trip to the Wye yesterday and it was in great condition.

Fancied my chances of a fish and started very early in the morning but as ever it was not that easy a cold easterly wind was picking up and blowing up river.

After several hours not a touch.Went back in a known pool and a canoeist came down before the cast was made.
Asked him to paddle on the inside of me which he did and a quick chat.
After he past about 20 yards cast out and what a take.

Good fight off a hen salmon and weighed in at 16 Ib's in lovely colours and was very thick across the shoulders and firm.
Kept in the water and released.

The Black Tank sang for the first time to ��

Would of uploaded pics but photobucket say"cant find plug in's"

Any ideas

Sewinfly................

JB

Finished my season on the Wye this weekend fishing with a couple of good friends. We had four fish between us, 1 on Saturday and 1 each on Sunday. Great fun all round.

sewinfly

Did not fish many times on the Wye this year, but the times I got out managed a couple of fish.
Also had a few blanks as part of the course.

Fished the Usk several times and not a pull.
But that is down to trips made as you have to put the effort in.Fished a pool last week and there must of been a dozen plus showing but not a pull.:rolleyes:

Also walked a beat this morning and saw quite a few fish moving.

Sewinfly. ................