River Wnion and Mawddach

matuka

wnion.....

wnion.....

a wee snippet for those of you that fish the river,
" squirrel blue" caught a salmon this morning, 7-8lb..
the fish was returned..
he's having two weeks fishing, so hopefully there
may be one or two more for him...:mad: :D

all the best.................mick..

Rockdoc

That's great news..I've been looking with some interest at this thread this year with the hope that something was going right!

I suppose you've had a pretty poor season which is a shame for such good water. It's always been on my list and was the first water I ever looked at in Wales before finding out more....

Tight lines,
AP:)

punta

Hi Guys - thinking of coming down today for a couple of days. Can any one tell me what the river conditions are like and how is it fishing.

cheers,

punta

matuka

wnion.....

wnion.....

sunday.am. oct.5th..

just had a phone call off "squirrel blue",
he said he has never seen so much water it looked
as if the river had been over the bridge at "bonty" and was
still in the fields.
he thinks that the ground floor at the "storehouse" would
be flooded..i said a bloody good job we weren't in it...:eek:
i think he and roger are going to try the worm today on the
upper dovey......................
no more from me i'm afraid, hospital later on, hip replacement
in the morning thank goodness.....
will be sprinting down to the junction pool next season..:D:D:D

all the best to you all.......................mick

punta

thanks - all the VERY best with the hip - looks like a new knee for me next year :( effin carpet fitting :( :( :( :(

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
Had a call from Dolgellau earlier, the Vanner is flooded, and the river is at least 10ft up!

In fact the same person told me that on his way home he was aghast at Bala, which he thought was at least 4-6ft above normal level!!!

I have some pics which i will try to post later.

Hoppy

matuka

wnion

wnion

had a call from paul (squirrel blue) yesterday while i was
in hospital, friend roger brown caught a 10lb bar of silver,
can't remember where from, other fish about as well....
been a bit drugged up all week so can't remember all...
all the best....................mick

C Trout

Assuming its the same 10lb salmon i know was caught from Bonty pool on a toby,apparently the guy was fishing from the wall side and had left his landing net in the boot of his car,he had to phone his mate to drive over from barmouth to help him land it 45 minutes later.

As for other fish seen,i wish i knew where they were,i have given the river a good thrashing up and down river on numourous occasions and not seen a fish,it seems to me there are only the odd one or two fish about and you need to be very lucky to hit on one,i say lucky because prior to the capture of the 10lb salmon from bonty pool i had fished the pool through with rapalas, flying c, at varying depths,speeds,without a touch.

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
I have a number of friends who fish both rivers, and i am deeply concerned about both the Mawddach & Rivers - where are all the fish???

I appreciate that we have had a lot of water and a number of fish have run hard, but the rivers aren't doing well at all.

I also think that the T&S reports could be construed as misleading, in fact a friend saw some of the fish reported and the weights reported were at least 3lb on the heavy side.

I really hope the last few years are a blip, but something is seriously wrong here:(

Hoppy:D

sewinbasher

Sadly I think that Hoppy has a point here. Most of the other North Wales rivers have had exceptionally good seasons in 2007 and 2008 apparently due to the better river levels experienced in those two years.

Both the Dyfi and Mawddach systems showed lower salmon catches in 2007 than in 2006 whereas the Conwy, Dee and Clwyd systems showed sharp increases.

Having said that, every North Wales river showed an increase in sewin numbers in 2007 over 2006 so if the fish are missing this year on the Mawddach it would be a bit of a worry unless the reason would be that the high water limited night fishing which has certainly been the case on other rivers but one would have thought that 2007 would have been similar.

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
I read the Nov 2008 T&S Catch Reports earlier, and was upset at the decline in anglers fishing the rivers.

Maurice lists the reasons as the increase in fuel prices, bag limits for conservation measures, or anglers finding somewhere closer to home to fish.

Maurice also refers to is the effect that Compulsory C&R will have on the rivers - and he confirms that the introduction of such a measure will result in the loss of a significant loss of anglers. This will have an effect on the local economy. Maurice also mentions inaccurate declarations on Catch returns

I do regard these rivers as my home rivers, they are where i really got into sea trout fishing, and the last few years have really saddened me.

Friends who have caravans in the area are now looking to move their vans elsewhere - which is a terrible shame.

The reduction in anglers will have a massive effect on the Catch figures, and in turn, a massive impact on conservation limits - fish numbers down, therefore the EAW will act.

This whole issue will become a catch 22 situation and may well result in the Mawddach & wnion becoming the first Compulsory C&R rivers in Wales. There are tough times ahead.

However i have spoken with a number of anglers recently who just cant afford to renew season tickets due to the credit crunch, and the cost of fuel - this means they are looking at day ticket waters elsewhere - this is bad news.

But with the Dolgellau AA tickets costing £30 per Midnight to Midnight - meaning a cost of £60 per night, visiting anglers are looking elsewhere - this will again have an effect on the rivers and the club. With Catch returns down - this is going to have a big effect on the club, and the financial situation in 2009 will worsen this. The cost of a season ticket is still only £85 - but this is now an expensive price in the current economic climate.

I do hope that the rivers return to their former glory, but the club will have to look at their DT prices, because a number of people i have spoken with just wont be joining next year - and this will just make things worse.

Hoppy:(