River wear

night trout

hi
not been on for along time just a couple of picks from backend of the season

just over 19lb last day of the season.
had a good season with the salmon would of had more pics to post if camara had not broken
sea trout wise was my worst season to date hopefull 2012 will be a better 1 for the sea trout.
night trout

martyg

Are there any felling club members on here its my first season with them and would like some tips on the wear as ive never fished it before

wearfisher2

Had my first session last weekend (had nothing/saw nothing) but it was good to be fishing again. The river was a perfect colour and height if a little cold.

Is anyone catching?

Wearboy

Greetings all

Greetings all

Having fond memories of one very productive night in very early June, mid river , following good water. Judging by the lack of postings on the site am i right in assuming its not worth a two hundred and fifty mile round trip in hope of a repeat performance.
Is anything happening ????

russ1610

wearboy not sure where you call the middle river but i fish the Bishop Auckland stretch, so far i have heard of no fish on this stretch and i have not even seen a sign of a Sea Trout. River is very low and needs water. I am aware of several salmon below or at Durham but again that has been quiet for 2 weeks. I am informed that there are sea trout and the odd Salmon waiting in the tidal reaches but we need water. As i have said i have seen nothing in the Bishop Auckland area and i have spent 15 hours in the last week looking while trying to catch a decent brownie again very few and far between unless you like 4" par. As Soon as I start seeing fish ill put it on here. We re forecast rain for the next few days hope we get a real good pour down and 2-3 foot through the system. That may well do the trick.

Dalnashaugh

Wildlife

Wildlife

Fished above Witton 7.30pm to 10.20pm last night. Water about 9" above summer low, quite peaty but decent visibility although probably not good enough for night fishing. Another member of syndicate was just packing as I arrived. He'd been there since 4.30pm but seen nowt.

I saw one smallish sea trout jump about 10pm and had one little tweak which could have been anything.

Did however spend some time watching a barn owl quartering the meadow adjacent to the river, inc it pouncing on a mouse/shrew and then carrying it off to its nest. Also, at about 10pm an otter came wandering up my side of the river towards me, then crossed and edged past me on opposite bank before re crossing and coming out on to the gravel about 15 yds above where I was standing. It pottered about for a bit then back into the river and away further upstream.

There truly is more to fishing than catching fish, isn't there?

Geoff

S

silverinvicta

Fished above Witton 7.30pm to 10.20pm last night. Water about 9" above summer low, quite peaty but decent visibility although probably not good enough for night fishing. Another member of syndicate was just packing as I arrived. He'd been there since 4.30pm but seen nowt.

I saw one smallish sea trout jump about 10pm and had one little tweak which could have been anything.

Did however spend some time watching a barn owl quartering the meadow adjacent to the river, inc it pouncing on a mouse/shrew and then carrying it off to its nest. Also, at about 10pm an otter came wandering up my side of the river towards me, then crossed and edged past me on opposite bank before re crossing and coming out on to the gravel about 15 yds above where I was standing. It pottered about for a bit then back into the river and away further upstream.

There truly is more to fishing than catching fish, isn't there?

Geoff
Here,here, Geoff.
Many many years ago i was fishing on a tiny river that runs into Ullswater, (The Grysdale Beck). It was just dawn, the grey period before the sun greets the day.. I was sitting on the bank with my back to a post when i had a weird feeling that something/body was watching me. I turned my head very slowly and to my amazement there was a dog otter crouched watching me less than three foot behind, just above, and slightly to my right. (almost level with my head) looking me right in the eye.... He was crouched on a little track along the bank. I must have kept still for at least a minute before he moved off heading downstream......
About a half hour later, the sun was above the hills and and it was quite light, i saw my Otter again, he swam below the surface going upstream and right below me, what a sight, his fur was silver in the water and morning sunlight , i presume he had only just entered and it was air bubbles.. He was the first Otter i ever saw..
What a memory... :D

Si.....

russ1610

this week whilst fishing the Wear just below Bishop i have been lucky enough to see an otter opposite me, a large deer within 25 yards dont know who got the biggest fright me or him, a kestrel hovering just above me and quite a few other things like oyster catchers and curlews. On the fishing front 2 eals on worm, two browns over 12 " on worm and today hit and missed a 3lb sea trout which decided to take just as i was lifting off for another cast, it jumped 2' out of the water but as i was in mid cast i pulled the hook out of its mouth. Needless to say it didn't have a second go. Also on the fly today i has a 5" perch on a Salmon fly???. Nice to know the odd fish has got up to us at last.

russ1610

Well got my first Fish of the year today a nice fish of 5.5lb 24", nice to feel that take after all the small browns, actually not so much as a take but BANG I'm here. Well not any more he isn't, he's going on my plate tonight. Now that means the next two or three have to go back regardless of size. 11am, broad daylight, sunny and hot, so much for only catching them at night. It took a Cascade swinging round.

20120620_112009.jpg

Last edited:

Wearboy

Greetings .Its very quiet on here!!! I fished Sunday conditons excellent , caught about 30 midge bites, two small browns and a lesson from my fishing patner who had two nice fish
Conditions are starting to look good at last. Anyone owt to report?

russ1610

River up 18 " this morning having fallen 1' already, Just prior to the flood on 14th my mate had a 5lb sea trout on the fly, but although I have had one fish this year, I have struggled to catch anything else other than small browns. Im hoping this water has brought a few more into the pools I fish.

Wearboy

Its been a difficult season so far with yo yo levels i have fished three times caught two blanked sunday.
IMO the up and down of river levels tends not to lead to good fishing tho it does spread the fis about the system... hopefully upto you Russ. looked on the web cam it looks a dirty lift

night trout

hi
its the worst season i have ever known theres very little in the hole system.1 The north east coast net fishery
Summary

Since the last NLO period (1992-2002), there has been a reduction in drift net licence
numbers, predominantly due to the drift net buy-out in 2003. There were 67 drift net
licences issued in 2002, which fell to 17 licences in 2003 as netsmen left the fishery.
This number has further reduced to 14 in 2011. Over the same period, there has
been a rise in the number of T & J net licences. In 2002, there were 30 T & J net
licences issued. This increased to 42 licences in 2003 and to 61 licences in 2011.
The number of days fished by drift nets fell significantly from 3367 in 2002 to 774 in
2003, following the drift net buy out. T & J nets during the same period saw an
increase in days fished from 1049 in 2002 to 1446 in 2003. The number of days
fished by T & J nets has continued to increase over the following years, reaching
2143 in 2011.
Salmon catches are dominated by those from the Northumbrian area (districts 1 and
2, to the north of the river Tees) with approximately 90% of all salmon caught being
taken from this area. Salmon catches have fallen from 30980 in 2002 to 10427 in
2003, coinciding with the drift net buy out in 2003. The catch of salmon reduced
further to 5395 in 2009. Reductions in catch per licence day over this period suggest
that fewer salmon may have been available to the fishery during this period. Salmon
catches have since increased to 19982 in 2010 and 24846 in 2011.
The high catch of salmon in 2010 and 2011 coincides with a higher total number of
days fished and a higher catch per licence day. This could indicate that when
netsmen are catching more fish they expend more effort to maximize their return. It
may also indicate a higher number of fish returning to the north east coast in this
period.
Sea trout catches are split between more evenly between both areas with an average
of 56% of the catch landed in Northumbria and 44% in Yorkshire during the period
2003-2011. The sea trout catch of 55546 in 2010 was the highest recorded since the
1989 total of 71369. Sea trout catches have been increasing, as has the T & J net
catch per licence day.
In the period 1993-2002 the average total annual catch of salmon was 33761. This
decreases to an annual average of 11283 in the period 2003-2011. The sea trout
average annual catch during 1993-2002 was 35380, decreasing in the period 2003-
2011 to an average of 26389. Although the average catches have reduced between
the two periods, the catch per licence day remains steady, suggesting that the
reduction in catch is as a result of an overall reduction in fishing effort.
The proportion of the total sea trout catch taken in T and J nets significantly
increased from 2003, following the drift net buy-out and resulting reduction in fishing
effort. In addition, over the period 2003 -2011 T and J net fishing effort substantially
increased (from 1446 days fished in 2003 to 2143 days fished in 2011). Beach nets
accounted for the great majority of sea trout catches over this period. Drift nets
continue to account for the majority of the salmon catch, although the proportion of
the salmon catch taken in the T and J net fishery has increased since the 2003 buyout.North East Net Limitation Order Review 2012: Fisheries Assessment Report

these nets have killed off all the main runs of sea trout how the enviroment agency can ask us to do catch and release why all these fish have been taken its a total joke
they say sea trout are in recline why these took the highest number in 2010 sins 1989 its totally killed all the main runs of fish this river was once one of the best sea trout rivers in the country.

night trout

iv been emailing kevin summerson
team leader special enforcement fisheries
north east area this man thinks theres nothing wrong with the river
his email address is kevin.summerson@environment-agency.gov.uk
we had alot off water there is still very little fish the head water so dont think they have run throw cos they have not lads up at stanhope are catching the same as us very little.
thanks night trout

Wearboy

It appears a poor Sea Trout season all over so far, not been much due to high water. Venturing out Sunday if no more rain

caperer

due to lack of fish! gets worse every year,not be long before its a course fishery,if the ea stocking policy is anything to go by.

night trout

hi
see theres a right up in the trout and salmon about some of the scottish rivers are suffering with lack of fish coming back because they been intercepted buy the
north east nets on there way up the coast tells its own story someones making a hell of alot of money out this we left with very little in the rivers
totally killed the wears sea trout shocking whats happened to this river. like u say reedwarbler its getting more course fish in every season the ea is a total joke they havent a clue
on looking after a river. not be getting my licence money next season this 1s my last till somethings sorted about the nets not worth putting the time in till september when the nets come off. nets come off end of this month at least whats left will get into spawn we should final get into some fish.

caperer

well i heard that clubs on the wear are only allowed to stock with triploids(not sure if this is true) but if it is that is the end of brownies on the wear, and if sea trout are sea going brownies?