River wear 2021/bishop auckland club

WearFlyFisher

I’ve had 2 sessions where I’ve had fish this season, 5 fish but the rest of the time I’ve blanked apart from the odd brownie
That's 2 very good sessions if you caught 5 sea trout in 2 trips. Many a good size?... Then again I've no idea what a good size is on the river you fish.

stoatstail

Biggest 3lb the rest between 1.1/4 & 1.3/4lb
The Ribble has some good sized sea trout
Having cut my teeth as a seatrout angler on the Lune, a couple of of the smaller west coast rivers, the lower Eden and Border Esk... I had my eyes well and truly opened four years ago.
After life throwing a couple of nasty ones at me I got back on my feet and got on with life again. Part of that process was meeting a lass who lives close to the Wear and after a while I felt like I might like to start seatrout fishing again.
Joined Bishop Auckland and haven't had a fish under 3lb in 3.5 seasons.
I recommend you have a night out on a (day?) ticket once they become available again, the fish of your season from the west coast is almost certainly less than the average size of wear seatrout.

WearFlyFisher

Having cut my teeth as a seatrout angler on the Lune, a couple of of the smaller west coast rivers, the lower Eden and Border Esk... I had my eyes well and truly opened four years ago.
After life throwing a couple of nasty ones at me I got back on my feet and got on with life again. Part of that process was meeting a lass who lives close to the Wear and after a while I felt like I might like to start seatrout fishing again.
I recommend you have a night out on a (day?) ticket once they become available again, the fish of your season from the west coast is almost certainly less than the average size of wear seatrout.
Hi Steve. Yes the average sized sea trout on the Wear is amazing, around the 4lb mark. I did personally had 3 sea trout around the 2lb mark last season. All were caught during day sessions whilst salmon fishing late on in the season. Most seasons I get a couple around the 2.5lb mark. The thing I like most about fishing the Wear is... everytime you go out.... there is a fair chance you could connect with a right slab!!!!

stoatstail

Hi Steve. Yes the average sized sea trout on the Wear is amazing, around the 4lb mark. I did personally had 3 sea trout around the 2lb mark last season. All were caught during day sessions whilst salmon fishing late on in the season. Most seasons I get a couple around the 2.5lb mark. The thing I like most about fishing the Wear is... everytime you go out.... there is a fair chance you could connect with a right slab!!!!
What's your smallest and largest so far this season?

WearFlyFisher

Welsh Dee, Lune and the Wenning. I guess we will have a flash flood soon. I see some clubs are stopping fishing in the heat wave.
I've read that fishing is suspended on the Wye due to the heat. What other places have also stopped the fishing?

Andy62

So when do day tickets become available again? I don't mind a drive.

lewiswearfisher

No tickets as of yet spoke to the chairman the other days lads, said it will be reviewed at the next board meeting, absolute drought conditions on the wear. Reports of dead migratory fish, and I personally seen 2 seatrout running this afternoon and a dead what looked like a salmon as it went past, bright silver such a shame. 10 weeks or so absolutely blazing hot not a spate in sight ??

stoatstail

No tickets as of yet spoke to the chairman the other days lads, said it will be reviewed at the next board meeting, absolute drought conditions on the wear. Reports of dead migratory fish, and I personally seen 2 seatrout running this afternoon and a dead what looked like a salmon as it went past, bright silver such a shame. 10 weeks or so absolutely blazing hot not a spate in sight ??
Screenshot_20210720-154733_Samsung Internet.jpg
My weather app is showing this mate, cross your fingers and toes that it's accurate ?

lewiswearfisher

Had a few hours on the wear last night after cooler temps and a sprinkle of rain, seen some absolutely beautiful fish but never had a single touch, story of my season so far. Fished small tubes on a full floater and covered a few pools they just weren't playing ball, very very slow season on our "usually" by now,bouncing club water. No proper spate or water for months now......but its raining as I speak so fingers crossed ??

luney

Had a few hours on the wear last night after cooler temps and a sprinkle of rain, seen some absolutely beautiful fish but never had a single touch, story of my season so far. Fished small tubes on a full floater and covered a few pools they just weren't playing ball, very very slow season on our "usually" by now,bouncing club water. No proper spate or water for months now......but its raining as I speak so fingers crossed ??
Think that's the same story on a lot of rivers at the minute Lewis,
Hope we all get the rain it needs
Paul

lewiswearfisher

Quick couple hours last night before the rain set in with Steve g, had a fish on and off with a splash on a black n sliver JC aluminium 1" tube fished on a floating line, whilst looking for the access to one of the runs Steve said "thats it there mate" (all overgrown) I stepped off a 10ft embankment ?? luckily it wasn't straight into the river...... or and snapped my eye off my favourite rod ??, other than that thoroughly enjoyed myself ??