River wear 2021/bishop auckland club

Lgraydonflyfishing

An average weight of 4lbs+ is amazing. I wonder what it is about the Wear that produces such outstanding fish?

Paul
I caught a handful last season average weight around 9lbs, you just never know what you will hook on the wear, these were daytime captures whilst salmon fishing 👍🎣

elwyman

An average weight of 4lbs+ is amazing. I wonder what it is about the Wear that produces such outstanding fish?

Paul
Presumably rich feeding at sea and lots of multi spawners.
Conversely, the Clwyd and many other rivers get big runs of smaller fish which rarely translate into big runs of bigger fish the following season.

T7

It’s a strange one. I’ve heard people say they stay out at sea longer because they have further to go to get to the west coast of Ireland assuming that is where they feed, but not all east coast rivers have big sea trout. Also doesn’t explain big average size in the Towy for example.

WearFlyFisher

Often sea trout stay local to their river. If i remember rightly... Wear sea trout have been tracked going down to East Anglia. Then across to Holland then up to Denmark. Sometimes staying out a couple or several years. So the Wear has multi winter sea trout. So some come back as beasts.

luney

Not long home from an evening on the water. Just as the light disappeared I connected with what I thought was going to be a sea trout... how wrong I was. Earliest salmon I've ever caught. Hope you don't mind me posting this as it is the sea trout forum after all 😂View attachment 93792
A fish is a fish you wouldn't have caught it sat at home 👍

Lgraydonflyfishing

I'll not be posting for a while Lewis as off to Madeira tomorrow. But back for the beginning of June when it starts to hot up. I generally don't start to fish until the beginning of June anyway. This May fishing has been a bit of a bucie bonus!
enjoy mate, some fine marlin fishing off maderia by the way 🤣🤣🤣, feet up plenty beers back refreshed for the night sessions

Lgraydonflyfishing

Up 2foot on the wear and due to rise steadily tomorrow going off the level predictions, great news for our club water 👍🎣

Reactions: T7

Lgraydonflyfishing

River in fine fettle...........but I'm working 2till10 shift and have school run duties 😫😫, reports of seatrout coming off our water over the weekend 🎣👍

Reactions: T7

Lgraydonflyfishing

That my friend is a fair fly..... Your not looking for tiddlers with that one. 👍
There is no tidderlers on the wear mate 😀, 2 inch aluminium slipstream tube, Shame the fish weren't up for it tho. River was still a little high for my liking but dropping back to a nice night height as of now 👍🎣

WearFlyFisher

First night out last night for a while. River still too high for my fav night time spot and a little mucky. Fished the two pools I get most joy. Didn't see or touch anything. Fished for a few hours a couple of miles downstream before dark and had a nice springer in the 10 to12lb class

Lgraydonflyfishing

First night out last night for a while. River still too high for my fav night time spot and a little mucky. Fished the two pools I get most joy. Didn't see or touch anything. Fished for a few hours a couple of miles downstream before dark and had a nice springer in the 10 to12lb class
No fish are safe congrats mate 👍