River Till

stu

Anyone else fishing the Till this year?
I have 4 visits planned before mid June, first week after next.
Hoping it warms up a bit on a night!

Andy R

Best of luck Stu, it's an early river, one I've not fished but would like to at some point ( I think when I retire I'll promise myself a fly fishing safari and get all my unfished rivers knocked off for both salmon and seatrout; Naver, Dart, Till, Dee (Royal), Stinchar ).

I'd agree on the temperature, it's time that it warmed up, but I don't think it'll be warmer this week at any rate. 5 degrees at 9pm when I got back home, I've caught fish in cooler air temps, but not often..... Will be another couple of weeks before I get out methinks.

martyg

Had a few hours today water on the low side with little colour. Managed to lose a fish didn't see it but it felt decent. Hopefully river will lift to freshen it up.

stu

Fished last night. River very low and conditions ok except a massive moon shining straight down the pool.
Surprised not to see a single fish show all night. Made it all the more surprising when I got a strong take at around 23.30.
Nice early fish of around 3.5lbs.
Certainly feels like a lift is needed to bring in a good head of fish but I was delighted to get off the mark.
I'll be fishing again next week. Hopefully these big tides will bring some more fish in.

stu

No but not far off - can't say where exactly.
I see the rain has missed the borders today and it's dropped another inch.
I'll be fishing again mon and tues nights. Can't wait.

stu

Looks like some rain has gone over this afternoon but not sure it will be enough to make much difference.
I got my fish on a small silver stoat tube. That's my normal go to fly on the Wear but first time it's worked on the Till.
Although I haven't really spent much time on the Till - it's just too far to drive home to N Yorks after night fishing.
I'm staying at Milfield this week.
Good luck if you get out fishing - let us know how you get on.

stu

Fished last couple of nights. Mon night I managed to lose a smallish sea trout at dusk, had a missed take then it went cold and action stopped.
Last night the strong northerly wind seemed to put them down and I didnt see any action.
Seems like at this time of year, because it's still chilly up in the Borders, it's the hour around dusk which gives the best chance of action.

martyg

Nothing! River was rising and started to colour slightly. Planning on going tomorrow night but wind in the north again so may not bother.

scotsmac

Fished upper Tindal, Tue. Had 1 fish day time.
Nothing at night, did not see fish splashing about. Perhaps the bulk of the fish are still to come. I feel everything is 3 weeks late with the cold and long spring we had. When standing in the water for time, it was cold.
Have heard there is good head off fish in the Tweed beats.