River Taw (Devon) 2012

billy fish

I have tried to find your list of day ticket waters but failed.
Can you do the list again or point me in the right direction.
Cheers, Colin.

Tawpug

Shot down to the river with Fishy Rich last night in the vain hope that the glides were fishable in this high water. They were - just. We fished in as high a river as I have ever managed and against the odds Fishy Rich managed a lovely nine pound summer salmon on a 1" black and yellow bottle tube that I dutifully netted for him. Just goes to prove the old addage.... if you are not fishing you won't catch!

ATB

Tawpug

Tawpug

Another salmon for me yesterday morning - on the black and yellow bottle. Several salmon caught on the Mole and there appear to be good numbers in the system. Again people remarking on the size and quality of the fish; most are high shouldered and in the 10-12lb range.
Saw good numbers of seatrout moving in the shaded areas yesterday but of course the river is still too coloured and too high for any chance of a crack after dark. Very frustrating. The worst Sea Trout year in living memory.

Tawpug.

taw1

Had a lovley salmon on Friday around the 13lb Mark. Not able to fish on Saturday but heard they Landed 3 salmon above Umbrliegh and lost 1 they also saw quite a few others and had numerous small peel.

richardjmiller

Had 4 nights on the Taw (above Umberleigh) from 25th - 28th July (incl) and some reasonable sport.

First night was warm but a persistent mist soon turned into actual fog. Despite this I managed to catch a school peal around the 1lb mark. The next night was much better - very warm but a slight breeze kept any mist at bay. I had 4 offers to traditional floating line/wet fly tactics and banked a 4 pounder. Two of the other takes did not connect but I lost another fish in the 4 pound class the next run down after landing the earlier fish.

Night 3 was fresher but sport remained good. I banked 2 school peal of around 1.5lb each and also a smller one which I released - all once more to the floating line/wet fly. Night 4 was disappointing - I lost a school peal of around a pound and a half at the net but had no other offers so called it best before midnight. In fact that is one observation I would make - all the action was between 9.45 and 11.30 pm with the river seemingly 'dead' after that time. One one of the nights I fished all the way through to dawn but could not provoke any further takes.

I think I was lucky to get 4 consecutive nights in given the weather we have had. On arrival the river was .57 on the gauge at Umberleigh, which was perhaps a tad too high for my preferred pools. By Day 2 it had dropped to a much more mangeable height of .52 and perhaps that corresponded with the sport I had on night 2 - the first night I just felt my fly was working too fast. I had spent days and weeks beforehand intently following gauge readings and weather maps/rainfall totals (and annoying Tawpug & Taw1 for info!!!). Impressions are that there are a lot of fish in, mostly school peal but with quite a few bigger fish around too - but the action is short with the sea trout not seemingly wanting to play after midnight.

Biggest and most pleasant surprise (nay, shock) was on leaving the river on the last night. Taking the long walk back through the fields next to the river I spied another angler mid-river. Wondering whether to simply walk on by or engage with conversation, I quietly asked the mysterious figure if he had had any fortune. To my shock a familiar voice called back "Is that you, Richard?" - lo and behold if it wasn't an old friend who I haven't seen much of lately from our small village near Cambridge. What were the odds on that I wonder. It was Duncan who sometimes posts on here but mostly on the Fowey thread - doubtless he will report in due course - hopefully he will have plenty of fish to report.

I will try and attach a picture of the 4 pounder later. Back down to Devon shortly but will be nearer the Dart.

taw1

Glad to hear you had some good sport Richard Ivan told me you had a nice fish it can be very disheartening if you come away and get no action. I agree with you I catch the vast majority of my Sea Trout before its completely dark or early mornings but I suspect the various beat/pools behave differently. I fished upstream from you on Friday evening and had 2 before 8.30pm then not a touch but I know of people who are very successful on other parts of the river and they don’t start till the lights gone.
Tight lines for you visit to the Dart.

richardjmiller

Hi Taw1
Yes it can be very disheartening - I recall last year having 4 nights on the Taw at the end of June but it just happened to coincide with some unusually cold nights - I bagged a couple on the second night before the mist set in but that was the only action I had all week - the rest of the time was just spent shivering!
I find it varies from year to year - for example, on one of my favourite pools I have fished it and the Sea Trout have played all night. This year the action stopped at 11.30 prompt although I suspect that if I were to fish it again in a couple of weeks, the fish might again behave differently. A bit like flies - the surface lure in particular - some years they'll go for it and others they won't. Thats the appeal though - they're so unpredictable. Ivan keeps telling me to have a try during the day - one year I will listen to his advice!!

billy fish

Thanks for the info Tawpug.I will try to give the Taw a try in the next couple of weeks.
My local river (Otter) is starting to fish reasonably well.It definitely helps having some cloud cover.
Lost a biggy which led to an unusual experience ,but maybe this has happened to some others.
I had this fish on for a good while and I was starting to think P B's , when it came off.I wound in and checked everthing and found on the dropper , a single size 6 lw goats toe with a tooth neatly placed on the point back to the barb.
I thought that I had put the tooth in a fly box but come the next morning I couldn't find it.So no evidence.
I'm ready for the jokes and puns but I will start the ball rolling with this.
I should have put it under my pillow,and i would have found a fresh sea trout in my fridge the next morning.
I did however land one later in the evening about 4.5lb.

taw1

Fished Friday late afternoon till dark Water quite dirty visibility about 1ft but clearing very slowly saw quite a few fresh fish both salmon and Sea Trout but only had 1 pull fish not interested in the fly.
Fished above Umberliegh bridge on Saturday visibility now around 2ft but not a fish showing spoke to a friend who had seen couple which heightened my enthusiasim then had spanking fresh 29” Salmon late morning put up a cracking fight took a small cascade.

taw1

Fished on Friday and Saturday water at a good height just below 6 on the gauge though not the best of colours saw plenty of school peel on both days. Landed a cracking 11lb salmon on Friday again on a cascade it had been in a couple of months but still put up a cracking fight. Heard of 2 other Salmon being caught.

Tawpug

Nice to see people have had some success with the sea trout but I think the concensus is that it has been a massively diappointing season. High water levels have not helped but we have not seen anything like what we would have expected to see. Interestingly, the salmon rods have not taken many sea trout so it will be very interesting to see the rod figures at the end of the year. Lets hope record flows will mean that the escapement to the upper reaches has been good.

On a bright note. I had a fresh-ish ten and a half pound salmon on a self tied fly on the single hander in the Junction pool late last evening.

Tight lines

Tawpug

Tawpug

The river is up and down and is only now losing colour after yet another chocolate brown Taw flood. Popped down tonight for a wander and at the last safe moment managed to bank a 10 lb cock salmon from the junction (Tawside). He was colouring up so back he went.

Not much else to report I'm afraid. Normally big tides and some water in the system might have encouraged a few late fish to run but as far as this season is concerned all of the normally accepted wisdom has gone out of the window....

Regards

Tawpug

taw1

Started just after dawn on Friday mist rising off the river nothing showing for the first hour then few fish started to move through the beat. Hooked and landed a 13lb cock fish after a dower struggle. Coloured fish.

Moved up to the Mole after breakfast again a few fish moving lost a cock fish at the net again around the 13lb mark and coloured. Then had a very dark peel of 2.5lb. which put up a good show for its size. Landed 9lb salmon just before lunch again starting to get into his courting suite. In The afternoon another peel of 2.5lb came to the net but again a very dark fish.

Saturday fished the main river without seeing a fish.

Disappointing not to see any clean fish it would nice to have a fresh grilse before the end of the season.

Heard 4 salmon came off one beat on the mole on Saturday I think the fish have tended to run straight through this year.

Tawpug

A huge seatrout has been reported caught by an angler on the middle Taw in the first week of September. It weighed in at sixteen and a half pounds and was released. Reportedly it took a black and silver. What a magnificent fish and well done to the captor for its successful return.

The Taw has great potential as a seatrout river but is certainly not subjected to the same sort of rod pressure that some other rivers in Wales and the Westcountry are. It gives up a number of really big seatrout each year but the captors rarely break cover - many of them are primarily salmon anglers.

Regards

Ian

taw1

Fished on Friday and Saturday surprised to see how quickly the water is dropping after all the rain we had thought it would hold up to the end of the season. Didn’t see a fish until after 7.30pm then several fish started move with a couple jumping clear of the water. Had a good take then just as it was going dark around 8.00pm managed to land a 5.5lb grilse that had been in a few weeks then all went quite. Seen one fish early Saturday morning that wasn’t interested in the fly then nothing all day. Heard of a fresh grilse caught above Umberliegh on Friday evening so perhaps with the high tides on Monday/Tuesday a few more salmon will creep in but the river height is getting to the stage were there backs will nearly be out of the water as they come up over some of the fast wide runs.

elwyman

A huge seatrout has been reported caught by an angler on the middle Taw in the first week of September. It weighed in at sixteen and a half pounds and was released. Reportedly it took a black and silver. What a magnificent fish and well done to the captor for its successful return.

Ian
Wow, great fish.
Heard of a 11.5lb caught on the upper Conwy (Lledr) recently, on fly at night.

Tawpug

Season finished on Sunday with.......yes, you've guessed it, lots of water. Much too much for serious seatrouting of any sort. There was a final flurry from the Salmon rods. I had a twelve pound hen on Saturday and Fishy Rich a twelve pounder on the Mole on Sunday. I also heard of a fifteen and an eight above Kingford and a notably big old cock kipper at nineteen on an upper Mole beat. All returned. There were good numbers of salmon rods out so more may have been caught.

So here endeth what can only be described as a very odd season. There were Peal in the system but not many were caught, primaily due to high water conditions that prevailed from the middle of May onwards. Lets hope its a good spawning.

This is the first seaon ever that I have caught more salmon than peal.

Roll on the 2013 season. Best wishes to all.

Tawpug.

taw1

Same as Tawpug caught more Salmon than Sea Trout and most of my Sea trout that I did catch were caught in the daytime. Night time fishing was a disaster only caught 5 fish after dark all season.
Fished the middle reaches last Friday when more salmon showed than I can ever recall seeing in one day on the Taw. They were all well coloured and not at all interested in anything I put in front of them though they did slow down a bit a couple of beats above me as they managed to land 2 one of them a fresh fish.

Finished the season off on Saturday with an 8lb cock fish (red) which put up a good show for himself when fishing above Umberliegh din't hear of anything else being caught on the beats.

Looking forward to a few days in Scotland this month then my rod goes away till March by which time I shall be itching to get back on the river.

Good Luck To All