River Taff New Bylaws

Waddington

I've got a better solution that would have been much more simple. Don't give permission to build a dirty big barrage in Cardiff Bay, that has decimated the runs of migratory fish :(. Of course if you believe some of the nonsense peddled about, migratory fish in the Taff are a very recent thing. It's funy how I can remember seeing and catching a hell of a lot more sewin and salmon in the Taff as far back as the mid eighties - before anyone had heard of c+r!

Look I'm not against c+r, but this really does get to me. As far as the wider public are concerned here we have anglers effectively holding their hands up to being in a large part responsible for the poor state of migratory fish stocks in the Taff :mad: ( I can't speak for the Ely). I am sure that this is what Joe public will think and will wonder why anglers having admitted their responsiblity for the current situation, would want to drag around on a hook fish that are protected by law. I notice in the EA link that the river is still recovering from the 19th century industrial pollution. Well that really is the latest news! What a surprise to this cynic that there is no mention of the barrage in the press release :rolleyes:.

But hey what's a few fish, when you can have a barrage bringing big money and expect anglers to accept the environmental consequences as convenient scapegoats :rolleyes:.

Phil

S

silverinvicta

What are the stocks of Grayling like now in the Taff ?? When i first fished it we had some really good bags of grayling and browns up to not far short of a couple of pounds, and that was only a few years ago. I no longer see ANY reports from the Taff ?????

Si......

cortupblastit

Couldn't agree more with Waddington. Barrage has been a disaster for migratory fish on Taff. In 70's I used to catch a lot of fish in Pontcanna Fields sometimes when river flowing black with coaldust. Now those stocks that are left have to negociate a fish pass which is not operational at top of spring tides (because outside level is higher than inside) and then enter a vast lake of semi polluted ,de-oxygenated water. Lake is even worse for smolt migration, no real current direction and infested with cormorants and small pike. A monument to spiv property developers and over ambitious frustrated local government members and officials which has resulted in farcical sheds full of poor quality restaurants and plebian entertainment - but I suppose Cardiff was ever thus, the barrage has simply enabled medicrity to be done on a larger scale !

sewinfly

What are the stocks of Grayling like now in the Taff ?? When i first fished it we had some really good bags of grayling and browns up to not far short of a couple of pounds, and that was only a few years ago. I no longer see ANY reports from the Taff ?????

Si......
The grayling on our stretch about the last 2-3 years seemed to have disappeared and were not in the vast shoals that we use to catch,but late last year and early this year the grayling seemed to be back not in the larger sizes that we were use to but in greater numbers of small fish 8" plus.

Maybe there are peaks and troughs in the grayling life cycle and they are now on the way back.Brown trout seem to be doing well and we have had some nice fish.

With regards to the sewin & salmon stocks on the Taff I agree with some of the views that have been said, we all know that the bay has done damage to the returning fish, but we have no choice now to accept it because there is no way the barrage is going to go. I wish it would and have the mud flats back for the wading birds at low tide.

From a club point of view we had already introduced c&r before the EA had brought the by law in probably the only club in Wales.This was with all club members agreeing to it.
At the moment returning salmon/sewin is on the increase be it small.But if we can contribute towards this then that's a good positive step.

Not quite sure if a better fish pass is on the agenda for the bay as this would certainly help.

Sewinfly.......................

S

silverinvicta

Thank's Sewinfly. it must have been 4/5 years since i fished then Taff, i think i gave up my club card around those years, (not because of fishing, ill health) I had had some really excellent days with trout and Grayling. It was after i had given up my card, the Grayling stocks seemed to take a sudden plunge.. I'm glad to hear that they seem to be on the increase again....

Si......

phl

I
Look I'm not against c+r, but this really does get to me. As far as the wider public are concerned here we have anglers effectively holding their hands up to being in a large part responsible for the poor state of migratory fish stocks in the Taff :mad: ( I can't speak for the Ely). I am sure that this is what Joe public will think and will wonder why anglers having admitted their responsiblity for the current situation, would want to drag around on a hook fish that are protected by law.

Phil
I couldn't agree more.
I think we (game anglers everwhere, not just on the the Taff) are being duped into accepting responsibility for problems that lie elsewhere. It's all too easy for the EA to impose a no-kill policy: it costs nothing, and conveniently puts the responsibility for declining stocks on to the anglers rather than the EA or water authorities, etc. In reality, I don't believe there is any evidence that angling pressure has had any impact on migratory fish stocks, nor is there any evidence that C&R policies will lead to improvements.
There is scope for discussion on what fish-kill restrictions are appropriate to conserve stocks in rivers where they are under pressure, but that debate is pointless unless there is first a clear understanding and acceptance, by the EA and others, of what are the real problems that have led to the decline. We should, as far as possible, demand that C&R restrictions should only be accepted in the context of an evidence-based policy for the recovery of fish stocks.

Paul