River Ribble 2016

haptonlad

Anyone been out for a sea trouting on the Ribble yet ?
I'll be out soon once the weather picks up, might even have ago this coming weekend, I'm itching to get out:)

haptonlad

I had my first outing last night on the Ribble for a couple of hours, I did manage a small sea trout about 1lb, but other than that it was very quiet. I never saw any sea trout showing, just a couple of salmon showed just has it went dark.

phl

That's a good start, haptonlad, for this early in the season. I'm hoping to try the Ribble myself this year: I have access to the beat just above the Hodder (and the bottom beat of the Hodder). It's about an hour and a half drive for me, but, having nothing nearer, I might give it a go. How soon will seatrout be there, do you think?

Paul

haptonlad

The main run of sea trout usually run late June & July from what I've experienced over the years, I've also seen fresh fish caught on the Hodder in late August & early September. If I were you the best month will be in July phl.
Most of my fishing is in the Calderfoot pool, the fish didn't really come last season in any numbers till early July, but they be a few about from now on till the prime months.
Paul.

phl

Thanks, Paul. The drive back to Yorkshire in the middle of the night puts me off a bit, but I'll maybe give it a go this year.

Paul

haptonlad

I'm a bit like that Paul, I like to fish local TBH.
I find that most nights the fish switch off after midnight, unless you get the odd night where it stay warm well into the night, I know it doesn't always work out like that, one night last season the mist come up & the fish were taking steady right through the night & on another night the wind got up & the fish were taking nearly every cast, but I missed a lot of them.

haptonlad

I fished last night on the ribble but I never had a sniff, there was a odd decent fish showing every now & again but I think they were salmon TBH.

haptonlad

I fished for sea trout on Friday night for a few hours, but the only offer I managed was a brownie.
For some unknown reason I never seem to get into fish a night when it rains, the only fish that showed was a salmon just before it went dark.

haptonlad

I fished again last night in my usual pool for a couple of hours, same conditions as last time out raining continuously after it went dark. I never touched anything, even when I fished the last 1/2 hour with a fast sink tip sewin caster, I know it's early season just yet, but if I was getting some takes off other species of fish I'd have a bit more confidence fishing in the rain at night. I think I'm going to give it a wide birth in future fishing at night when it rains:(

Andy R

If the pressure is dropping it's hopeless in my experience, it needs to be stead or rising...which is why it can come good after a storm or whilst it's still raining but starting to dry up.

Falkus' observation about fishing 'being really good after the rain stops' is a nod to this point, as is his 'magic moment' observations ( birds singing, a hatch of fly etc) all are indicative of rising barometric pressure.

haptonlad

Thanks for that Andy
I've not really took much notice with barometric pressure, but I'll be checking it out from now on;)

haptonlad

Sea trout fishing at night has been out this last week, due to high dirty water, so I've been salmon fishing a couple of time & managed one 9lb spanker yesterday morning & missed another on Monday:)
I'm hoping to get out tomorrow night if we don't get anymore rain.

haptonlad

I can't seem to get out at all night fishing at the moment due to the river rising all the time, the river is again going to be massive looking at the Settle web cam this morning:(

mikey bubble

I too was supposed to be out friday night on mid rubble, was really looking forward to it but got the call on the friday saying don't bother, river was up and coloured, its been bobbing up and down like a yoyo for weeks now, pretty much the same with the other river I fish, very frustrating. Anyhow they're saying after this weeks unsettled weather we should be in for some Mediterranean stuff, heres hoping eh!

haptonlad

I got in on the Calderfoot pool Simon.
One of our members had 2 salmon, a grilse & a sea trout one afternoon all sea liced on a beat of ours further up river pal.
have you got out yet ?

T7

Not fished the Ribble all year mate! Been fishing a few different rivers but will get back to the Ribble late summer/autumn

haptonlad

I finally got out last night for the sea trout & managed one around 2lb that had been in a while, but I didn't have the best night TBH frustrating hooking my flies into trees & bank side vegetation
I'm going to have another go in a different location tonight, got to get out now after missing out for the last month with the river being in flood.

haptonlad

The river is up again, no good for fishing at night:(
Looks like I'll have to chase the salmon in the morning instead, I lost a salmon the other evening just as it were going dark, only had it on for a second the fish lept out & spat the spinner back out, still better to hook a fish than not at all IMO