RIVER RHEIDOL WEST WALES

SEDGY

River work parties have been very active pre season with the river access ,as a result being at its very best it has ever been.Their is still about 20% left to do but are aim is to get the whole river up to it’s best possible potential.Thank you for all volunteers who have helped .
Early reports tell us that their is a dense head of small brown trout at the Dam in Cwm Rheidol with an average session producing at least half a dozen fish averaging 7”.
Flies life along the river system has also been very prolific with juvenile fish beginning to feed as of last week.

SEDGY

We have had some nice day time generating water this week, about the right height and colour for fly or small somber spinners.
But very little angling effort has resulted in no fish being caught. But a fish off the nets on the Dyfi mid week must suggest that their may be some sea trout in the river.I have also had reports of dolphins feeding just out of the harbour in Aberystwyth.

Getty

Hi sedgy
I’m a new member willing to help I am down most weekends please give me a shout !!
steve Hunt 07810523700

SEDGY

That is brilliant of you Steve.....most welcome.....will add you to our chat group,so that you get the info.It is just an open invite,just join us when and for ever time period is convenient for you 👍

T7

Great to see members working to keep the river in good order. Not fished the Rheidol but seen it a few times and looks a nice river. Will follow this thread with interest

SEDGY

Thank you T7 ....Yes good access, especially at night is vital not only for pleasure but also successful results .
It minimises time wasted, use of light that robb‘s you of your night vision and saves on expensive wader repairs .
We are determined to have the Rheidol up to 100% access potential 👍

phl

I haven't fished the Rheidol for a few years, but I've got very fond memories of it, and I might manage a night there this year. I always thought the club did a really good job of looking after the river and showing access points, parking places, etc.

Paul

SEDGY

Thank you Paul....will update as soon as the fish start turning up.Only about half a dozen of us locally putting in the commitment these days so plenty of room for the visiting angler especially when we complete all access.Please message me for any further guidance and help if you do decide to give us a visit.👍

Reactions: phl

SEDGY

First fish was caught today by dedicated visiting angler Andy Selly who regularly travels a 100 miles to fish the Rheidol.
A real springer estimated at 11lb on a ‘rap’ from the Gauge Pool. There could be more there? but so little fishing effort on the whole....impossible to judge.

A342D9A6-AD84-4340-A744-F2C9C2A13B67.jpeg

SEDGY

Andy Selly landed yet another springer of a similar size from Trotters but on a fly this time.....well done Andy .
No other notable catches to report but their has been numerous sightings of fresh fish crashing out.
Warm nights over the last few days have encouraged a few anglers out at night but it would seem that they are not quite there yet as conditions seemed favourable and would of resulted in some action.

SEDGY

Some good news came our way today from Statkraft who own and manage the hydro scheme at the head of our fishing on the Rheidol. They have very kindly agreed to minimise the release of high water out of Cwm Rheidol dam during late evening early night during the months of June to August…..unless the National Grid insists on maximum generating capacity.
Night fishing has been greatly hampered during the last few seasons by this untimely release of cold stagnant water which also possessed a lot of sediment deposits greatly reducing one’s fishing success …..great news 👍

luney

Thank you T7 ....Yes good access, especially at night is vital not only for pleasure but also successful results .
It minimises time wasted, use of light that robb‘s you of your night vision and saves on expensive wader repairs .
We are determined to have the Rheidol up to 100% access potential 👍

Fair play to you and the team Sedgy, your a credit to you club/river👍🎣

SEDGY

Thank you for your positive and complementary comment….means a lot.
Have just had a weeks fishing on the Dyfi at £200 which is fine….but honestly found my self missing the Rheidol.When the fish are their they seem to respond especially to the surface lure which is great fun……if only we could get the fish stock up in numbers 🙏
Once we get the access up to 100% it will be somewhere special to fish, at just the right size and feel.