river nith

tote

Hey Tote,

Seven salmon so far is better than I've done by a factor of 7. So can't be that bad?

Andy
Make that eight Andy, went down after tea and managed a nice fish of 12.5lb on the worm which I kept for the table. I've put in some amount of time to get what I've had Andy. In the whole of August I fished hard for one 3.5lb grilse.

Saying that my catches have increased over the last two weeks so maybe the autumn run is starting to arrive. There was also a 5-6lb grilse caught at the top of our beat today.

Tonights fish.

Andy R

Tote,

That's a proper belter, well done, take your point about all August for one, but September is looking better?!

Nice one, I hope it continues to pick up. That ones nae thin!

Andy

tote

The end of another hard week on the river. I fished everyday for 2-4 hours and untill today I never got a touch and was only seeing a fish or two showing each day.

I got my reward tonight when I managed this 9.5lber on the worm, the fish was safely returned.:)

Andy R

Well done Tote, that's you in double figures I think? I failed again today.... well done for putting the fish back, but would you not have been better keeping it, given the seal or net marks on it? Or were they superficial?

Andy

tote

Well done Tote, that's you in double figures I think? I failed again today.... well done for putting the fish back, but would you not have been better keeping it, given the seal or net marks on it? Or were they superficial?

Andy
That's number 9 Andy. There were no net or seal marks on the fish, I think what your refering to is sand.

Andy R

Hi guys,

Any new news from the nith? Less than 4 weeks till we're up on dalswinton, looking at fish pal, it looks quiet....

Andy r

tote

Hi guys,

Any new news from the nith? Less than 4 weeks till we're up on dalswinton, looking at fish pal, it looks quiet....

Andy r
No good news I'm afraid Andy, I had 4 salmon and a big sea trout in the last two weeks of September and thought things were picking up. How wrong I was, I haven't touched a fish in October and have seen very few fish showing.

We had a big water today so Jim and I went up to Euchan falls near Sanquhar to see what was about. There was a good few fish trying to jump the falls but none of them were salmon, they were all sea trout. That says a lot for me.:(

Sorry I can't be more positive Andy, but that's the way it is up here at the moment.

tote

Update.

Update.

Sadly I have nothing positive to report but report I will.

I myself fished reasonably hard during October and never landed a fish, infact I only hooked the one on worm at the begining of the month but the hook snapped.:(

Also have to say that I saw very few fish showing either. Today Jim, me and two mates went up to Sanquhar to have a look at the Euchan falls, no fish were seen. We then wet to look at two falls on the Scaur, Glenmarlin and another higher up the river again no fish were seen.

We then drove down to the New Hole on MNAA and from there to Scaurfoot 13 anglers were on the river, nothing had been touched and only one small coloured fish seen and that was at 2.45pm.

To say it's bad would be an understatement, it's that grim that Fish Nith have taken to reporting the same fish as having been caught on different weeks. That says it all for me.:(

Sorry Andy that I can't be more positive. Also most of the visitors with season tickets we spoke to today said they will not be returning next year so more lost revenue for the club and surrounding area.

Andy R

Jim,

Sound terrible, I hope that something happens to improve matters, we're still looking forward to it, despite the prospects.

Thanks for the report, I'll give you a call towards the second half of the week. Hopefully there's a few fish still to come,

Andy

tote

Jim,

Sound terrible, I hope that something happens to improve matters, we're still looking forward to it, despite the prospects.

Thanks for the report, I'll give you a call towards the second half of the week. Hopefully there's a few fish still to come,

Andy
That wasn't Jim reporting Andy.:) I do believe he was out on DGAA yesterday but had no joy.

More to worry about on the Nith, see links below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-20136865

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-20183296

Andy R

Sorry tote, senior moment on my part, thanks for the report, please excuse my error...

Its worrying on the crayfish front, I caught one on the welsh Dee, tasted beautiful, the only silver lining is that there's a ready market for them, so roll on some unsustainable commercial fishing, in this case would be great.

On a serious note, it was only a matter of time before they moved catchments as I understand they've been in lock ken for a while, nd they do a lot of damage to redds and catch small fish, savage sods as well....

Andy

Last edited:

Andy R

Update from our week on the Nith.

One fish landed on Tuesday and that was it despite perfect fly water for the last 3 days (probably the best we've had in six years) the fish just weren't there. A complete collapse of the main autumn run.

Was great to meet Tam and Jim, I'm sorry we couldn't prove you wrong with the fish, it seems desperate up and down the river. I had seven good anglers out all week who know what they're doing, but the fish just weren't there. On some pools where we'd see 100+ fish in a day, we were seeing 3 or 4, there wasn't even a head of stale fish which is really concerning.

Doug Smith has asked me to write to him about the fishing in order that he can try to get something done, but I'm afraid my party have already said they won't come back next year, as we can't face another week like that, it was totally dispiriting by the Saturday we'd had enough and left by 2pm.

I'm really concerned about the river, and will do all I can to raise the issue, BUT as a party we can't keep parting with £2,200 to fish for nothing. I think we're going to try the Tweed next autumn, I sincerely hope this season is a blip and the Nith recovers soon.

Andy R

jimac

HI ANDY
Not a good week for you and the lads,
since you left we have had really big waters 12ft ,theres still no change so my rods are away for the year,
myself and tam enjoyed the banter with you and the other guys hope you will comeback to the nith again it would be good to see you,
we will keep in touch and let you know how next year is,hopefully it will be better it cant be any worse??

heres some pics from the past guess who this is ?????? [hes a geed looking chap]
ps. its no tam:)